GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GTR lovers,

My R35 GTR has russ fellows ypipe/injectors/intakes/remap with a stock backbox

I'm having my bell housing done soon as its decided to start rattling.. Now this has given me the opportunity to add downpipes, whilst the bell housing is out... ;)

the pipes are about £450-500

is it worth it with tho, with a stock backbox?? much power increase/sound increase?

However the car would then be decat, so I would have MOT issues and maybe trouble getting onto the track??

thanks

Chron

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Yes, makes a big difference to the sound and turbo cooling, I've got 102mm Litchfield downpipes on my MY11 stage one and it sounds like a beast

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Most GT-R's I have heard are pretty quiet. I have a full AC speedtech system with downpipes and it sounds awesome. I don't believe it is as loud as the meistershaft, meister R or the american version (cant remember name) and having listened to the unsilenced AC speedtech / russ fellows systems with stock downpipes I dont believe it is as loud as that either - but it is loud (and I love it). Only question I have is if it's too loud for my kids as I don't want to damage their hearing (if I can help it;) ). I am looking at what sound insulation options are available to help with it but I really don't want to change the exhaust or put resonated Y pipes on and I certainly won't be taking the downpipes off - I want flames one day after all....

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I don't know how people get round the lack of any cats and the fact it's not then road legal (as I understand it)

Presumably you have to refit a stock Y pipe for the MOT or find a tester who does a few and is willing to turn a blind eye.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
That's a good point - if you do go for downpipes, get your car MOT tested first which will buy you 12 months...

I think to pass the test the CAT just needs to be there. If you go somewhere that does'nt really know GT-R's then they will likely just assume they are up there somewhere.....

Or find a friendly MOT centre. I suspect most indy's that fit these will change them back FOC (wink wink) as part of it going through the MOT - although I am not sure of this fact

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I don't know how people get round the lack of any cats and the fact it's not then road legal (as I understand it)

Presumably you have to refit a stock Y pipe for the MOT or find a tester who does a few and is willing to turn a blind eye.
From my experience most MOT centres are pretty strict these days, maybe I lead a sheltered life lol.

But the road legal bit is interesting, as in is the insurance actually valid if the vehicle is not road legal? 99.99% of the time it won't matter a flying **** in reality, but the off chance of a major insurance claim might prove complicated, and personally if the vehicle was deemed not road legal it would nag the fck out of me, not so much when you're younger but as you get older it does.

If an insurance company accepts downpipes as a declared mod, knowing that that deems the vehicle non road legal, are they taking money for nothing? Genuine question, I just see it as a messy area.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
If an insurance company accepts downpipes as a declared mod, knowing that that deems the vehicle non road legal, are they taking money for nothing? Genuine question, I just see it as a messy area.
I believe it may be possible to get aftermarket downpipes with CATs, but most don't.

I think to pass the test the CAT just needs to be there. If you go somewhere that does'nt really know GT-R's then they will likely just assume they are up there somewhere.....
Except that the GT-R isn't a diesel so has to past an exhaust emmissions test.
With no CATs in the system it will probably fail.

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
errr hmmm, I was in exactly the same position with my 6 year old import (for Richards sake) and after 6 lovely years of track pounding and road trips with no issues with the cars the Bell housing sort of needed to be done.

I was an advocate of not ****ing around with the downpipes as my car could and would get onto any circuit in the UK with the totally daft noise restrictions with a full Miltek 90mm "silenced" MOT friendly exhaust system.

However, I succumbed to the temptation of the downpipes when have the Bellend fitted !!!

It quite clearly states on the downpipe NOT FOR ROAD USE :-(

I did an Easter break in France and the GTROC Euro tour and I must say that with the downpipes the car sounds the way it should have sounded right from the factory BUT because we are so ****ing Eco friendly on this tiny little island (look at Russia, India, China for Pollution) we have to comply with Mr EEU. I have my MOT next month and will speak with the tester who does my R33 and see what they have to say ***8230;***8230;***8230;***8230;***8230;***8230;***8230;***8230;***8230;***8230; watch this space

PS will also be doing a track day at SS on Monday and will get noise tested there

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks folks, whats the rough gains with them?? And is it noticeable mid-top end, if the cars already stage 4?

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Sounds better quicker spool up and o did I say it sounds better lol.

Graham
sure does and you will need a new map too :chuckle:

·
Registered
808 Posts
thanks folks, whats the rough gains with them?? And is it noticeable mid-top end, if the cars already stage 4?
I have just gone from Stage 4 with Y-Pipe to stage 4 with downpipes and akrapovic.

OMG.

On paper, it is supposed to be 10bhp or something. It feels ALOT more across the range. Before the car felt choked and would tail off - not now!

Feels like I put new turbos in!

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
From my experience most MOT centres are pretty strict these days, maybe I lead a sheltered life lol.

But the road legal bit is interesting, as in is the insurance actually valid if the vehicle is not road legal? 99.99% of the time it won't matter a flying **** in reality, but the off chance of a major insurance claim might prove complicated, and personally if the vehicle was deemed not road legal it would nag the fck out of me, not so much when you're younger but as you get older it does.

To obtain an mot cert your car needs to meet a certain standard atthat point in time. So for insurance to be valid you need to get that certificate and have declared the mods in the first place. I do not believe the lack of cats would void the insurance in the same way that if your rear seatbelt broke, or perhaps an indicator became faulty wouldnt. Both items that would hinder you passing an mot.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I have just gone from Stage 4 with Y-Pipe to stage 4 with downpipes and akrapovic.

OMG.

On paper, it is supposed to be 10bhp or something. It feels ALOT more across the range. Before the car felt choked and would tail off - not now!

Feels like I put new turbos in!
Totally agree. My car spools so quickly it's unbelievable. It also pulls like a train too the red line.

Where abouts in the country are you chronos? If it's convenient I am happy to show you my car.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Do it!

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why??? :squintdan

Thanks everybody, am tempted now lol I might pop back upto R35audio and take a look, as andy fitted my smartphone hardwire charger and some other goodies.. He has the full downpipes and exhaust..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts