GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im looking to import a skyline and mod it so it can be legal to drive in the U.S,how much do you think a skyline GTR will cost to import and then to switch the drivers side and etc. or can i just get it already mod'd and if i can how much will that cost? i need some help thanks guys.

digi ninjas.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
If you get it get it through Motorex as they are the only ones that can do the conversion legally. If you are going to convert it to LHD....my advice to you is don't buy the car in the first place!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
There used to be something on the FAQ's page here, but its not working at the moment.

In essence you don't have to buy a skyline from motorex, but you are required to pay deposits of about 125% of the price of the car until the car is approved. Actual work to make the car compliant costs under $5k, as for LHD - why wreck an excellent car - most conversions I have seen do the car no favours, though henri's site contains some details of the conversion he undertook which I suspect is better than most.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so what your basicly saying is if i bought a $20,000 skyline, importated it and did the 125% to get approved, by time its legalized, it would cost abouit $45,000!?!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Actually its worse than I thought - have a look here you do get some of the bonds back etc, but you are going to have to outlay lots of cash to get the car in the country!

Jon

N

·
0 Posts
digitalninjas said:
hey im looking to import a skyline and mod it so it can be legal to drive in the U.S,how much do you think a skyline GTR will cost to import and then to switch the drivers side and etc. or can i just get it already mod'd and if i can how much will that cost? i need some help thanks guys.

digi ninjas.
Go through these guys to buy and export the car from japan www.j-garage.com

Then, pay motorex the conversion fee to have them import the car legally. Motorex conversion prices: 89' to 94 gtr=16,000 USD, 95 gtr=17,000, 96' and up=25,000.

If your trying to get a nonconforming vehicle into the U.S., you don't want to dick around, especially with a skyline. I know a guy that tried to import his 99 r34 gt-t and didn't go through motorex. He wound up paying to ship the car back to japan or face having it destroyed and pay some crasy fines.

Take my advice, if you want gt-r that bad in the U.S., go through Motorex (www.motorex.net).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts