GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seen over my mates shoulder an article in Todays Autocar magazine with an Abbey MS GT-R 33 being used/compared against an Evo and a Scoob also it has Cossie, Intergrale and Audi in the article.

When he goes for a whizz i'll nick it have a read and see what its all about!;)

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
What a load of crap!

I usually like Stephen Sutcliffe's articles but this was a shapeless, pointless ramble.
Firstly, the front cover proclaims this as a "rally gods shootout", secondly on his review of the tuned R33 he says "the 4wd was deliberately designed to become Rwd under load..." How wrong could he get?
Anyway, the article is crap, but whose car is JUR13Y? I've seen it before, but couldn't place the owner. (for those who haven't seen the mag, it's a Godzilla clone, ie. Midnight Purple, 18in Nismo LM GT1s, carbon GT-R rear spoiler caps)

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'll probably get done for copyright but here goes:

The Impreza arrived in the UK long before the Skyline, but in Japan they’d been muttering things like R32 and super HICAS four-wheel steering long before the R22 GTR pitched here officially in 1997. And what a tool it was: a better car, I believe, than the R34 GTR that followed it, hence its inclusion here.

What makes the Skyline special is its four-wheel-drive system and the way it interacts with the steering and chassis to turn what is essentially a walking laboratory into a good old-fashioned hot rod. A hot rod? Oh yes.

You may think that by equipping the car with one of the most sophisticated all-wheel-drive systems known to man, then mating it to computer-controlled four-wheel steering and a twin-turbocharged straight-six engine Nissan was trying to create some kind of failsafe and deliberately fee-free techno-barge. But, in practice, the Skyline bubbles with feedback and is a riot to drive.

It four-wheel drive was deliberately designed to become rear-wheel drive under load, allowing those who know that they’re doing to perform M3-style 100-yeard power slides at will out of roundabouts. And although the handling isn’t quite as agile as that of its smaller Evo and Impreza rivals on really tight roads, a well-driven Skyline can still make mincemeat out of any Italian super car across country. Or around a circuit.

And the scope for making it go faster is almost endless. A lot of money has been spent on this particular car by its owner, and it can produce up to 500bhp if its digital boost gauge is set to the right position. It also has very trick brakes and several thousand pounds worth of Nismo wheels and suspension. And yet it still retains the same quintessential feel as the standard car.

Same heroically secure chassis balance halfway through a quick corner, same meaty but precise steering same surge towards the red line beyond 5000rpm. Admittedly, it all comes at a price greater than that of most other cares here, but given that this is one of the three best cars ever to come out of Japan, it’s a price worth paying if you can.

9.5/10 fun factor
9.0/10 overall

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
ref skyline r33 gtr in mag

if wondereing who owns it is is a beast know guy who owns it
530 bhp ish very fast bought my skyline from him if after good skyline contact me and i will let him know.i am new to skyline ownership but love it they are the best cars on market for price faster than most and reliable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Autocar Mag

The car belongs to me. It was modified at Abbey Motorsport. Loads of mods,they did a superb job with it. Really nice drive, goes very well !

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Welcome!

Hi Gary,
I noticed that was your first post, so I thought I'd say Hi. What have you had done to your car? Where have I seen it before?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi David, thanks for your interest ! the spec is lengthy but here goes !

Engine:
Apexi avcr boost controller,HKS cams,HKS 2510 steel turbos,HKS super drager exhaust,HKS high capacity oil cooler,HKS intercooler,HKS hard pipe kit,Mines motorsport turbo elbows,de cat pipe,Trust high capacity oil sump,Trust high capacity oil pump,Blitz Induction air filters.

Chassis:
Nismo GT1 wheels,Nismo adjustable suspension,Trust springs,380mm AP Racing "full floating" front discs with 6 pot AP calipers.

Interior:
Nismo Dial set,Nismo gauge set,Nismo short shift kit,Nismo gear knob,full 98 interior upgrade (red inset looks better in midnight purple car)

Exterior:

Xenon light conversion,Nismo Carbon B pillar trims & spoiler trims,aero front bumper & lower splitter

Thats it at the moment I have ordered a big fuel pump & different injectors which should be fitted shortly !

chat later !

·
Registered
994 Posts
Garry Chapple

Hi Mate,
On saturday the 26th at Tuning Japanese in Aldershot(not too far if you live in Kent) there is a Skyline Dyno-Day.Its £50,I will make a space for you.It`s very short notice but it would be one hell of a way to meet everyone.......Let me know now if youre up for it.......
Go to meetings page,view 1st Dyno-Day of 2002!

Cheers
Henry

ps I`ve got a Godzilla clone too:D But I reckon it`s more like King Kong!;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dyno day

may well be up for that !it would be great to meet some of you guys but I wanted to get the new injectors fitted and the fuel pump in before I dyno'd really so that I wasnt disappointed !

I will chat to tony at abbey tomorrow and see if he can fit it in

I am no that worried about total power output (although I would like it to be more than 550bhp) much more interested in delivery and driveability for track days etc. I really enjoy a good weekend at the 'ring in it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts