GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am wanting to know a bit more about these engines. I have specs of the motor and whats inside, but other than that, know little about it ?

Who (if anyone), has had any experience with these crate engines?

I am contemplating one of these for the next car, because i am sick of lag and want decent response while i drive in the city (as opposed to trackwork)

Capacity : 2770cc
Max Power : 580ps/7500rpm (DERIVE)
Max Torque : 60kgm/6000rpm (DERIVE)
Boost : 1.3kg/cm2 (DERIVE)
(DERIVE/GENESIS)
Piston : TOMEI 87.0mm
Conrod : TOMEI H-shaped
Crankshaft : TOMEI 8 counter weights type
Oil Jet Spacer : TOMEI
Camshaft : TOMEI PONCAM
Head Gasket : TOMEI
Valve Spring : TOMEI A-type
Valve Guide : TOMEI PBB
Main Bearing : NISMO
Rod Bearing : TOMEI
Head Bolt Washer : TOMEI
Oil Gallery Orifice : TOMEI
Timing Belt : TOMEI
Throttle Gasket : TOMEI
Manifold Gasket : TOMEI
Oil Pan : TOMEI
Oil Pan Baffle Plate : TOMEI
Oil Filter : NISSAN
Oil Pump : TOMEI
Water Pimp : NISSAN N1
Thermostat : NISMO
Spark Plug : DENSO Iridium
Color : Powder Coat Painting
Plug Cover Ornament : TOMEI
Oil Filler Cap : TOMEI RB26 Piston type

What are peoples opinions of this motor - I know that you can also customise the camshafts that this comes packaged with, if you choose a genesis engine .... For 2M yen it doesnt look too bad for a complete engine ?

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello,

I have these engine in my R34 GT-R V-Spec (Genesis model with PonCam Type A cams, Type B valve springs, Valve lifters and Cam Gears) combined with Hks power GT-SS turbines and is astonishing, is one the best engine I try. No Turbo Lag, from 3,500 Rpm to 8,500 Rpm and off course is very relaible.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys

Just found out the tomei derive motor is now priced around the 2.6M yen mark which is out of my budget :(

So it looks like I may have to opt for the cheaper kit and get it built here.

Juanin - do you have any dyno graphs of your setup? I would be very interested. PM me if you can? I was looking at doing GT-SS but i think the turbos would have been a bit small for the 2.8. I thought 2530s would be ideal?

Gez - its 580 ps out of the box, and I believe they give you a 1 year warranty.
580 ps is not bad, because its a real ps figure on an engine dyno. You will often find that dyno's do lie, and when you convert from at the wheels power to flywheel power, many people often get it 'wrong'

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello,

Sorry, I don't have any dyno graphs and yes the GT-SS is a bit small but is the turbos that I have installed before buying the engine. I Will change for GT-RS the next week.

I send the dyno graph with new GT-RS the next week.

·
6,817 Posts
hi Tommyk

was considering the same then you , just for a RB20DET. The Derive seems the best option for me ,because I will use the car for normal streets/sometimes shopping . . . the Genesis is much stronger build and can be further modified . . . . . in my opinion the Derive is the soft secure option and the Genesis a platform for racing! Both are perfect quality( I prefer them to HKS customer cars) and reliable for sure.

Drove some Dervie SR20DE N/A engines in Japan . . . . very nice:smokin:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys :)

While I wish I could buy one of these, money always seems to be an issue. The nagging girlfriend is long gone ;)

Juanin - I will be very curious to see the GT-RS graph. I am quite keen on those turbos, on a tomei motor. Can I ask what static compression you run?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts