GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to get my hands on a secondhand Tomei fuel rail :squintdan :squintdan and have a question regarding plumbing...

In the image above taken from the Tomei website, there are 3 main hoses...2 x Hose A and Hose B. Can anyone who has this rail tell me what length of hose pipes A and B are so I can get some braided lines and fittings made up?

Thanks

TT

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
depends on how long your C and D hoses are, and if you want your fuel lines to go over or under the intake plenum. I'm about to buy a Tomei rail myself - have you figured where you're going to bolt the fuel pressure regulator?

What braided lines are you going to use? Do you know anything about the HKS hoses - steel mesh on the outside, teflon hose on the inside?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
a question - is an upgraded fuel rail necessary to adequetely and comfortably support 700cc injectors? My mechanic thinks that the restrictive nature of the stock fuel rail helped lead my fuel pump (and my engine) to a premature death.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to use Earls/Aeroquip PTFE lined hose and aluminium fittings. I have a NIsmo regulator mounted on the inner wing.
700's should be fine on a stock rail. I'm only fitting the Tomei one as a mate had one lying about he wasnt using so got it at a knock down price :squintdan :squintdan

TT

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a follow on to this...I have been going over a few pics I have of skyline engine bays and noticed that the ones that have the Tomei rail do not have them plumbed in as per the Tomei recommendation i.e. 2xfeeds from the side and 1x return in the middle.
I have noticed on other cars that the feed comes from the rear, the return comes from the front and that the centre hole is plugged..????

Any reason for this????
Why would folks ignore the Tomei plumbing guide other than to save on a couple of braided lines??

TT

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
As a follow on to this...I have been going over a few pics I have of skyline engine bays and noticed that the ones that have the Tomei rail do not have them plumbed in as per the Tomei recommendation i.e. 2xfeeds from the side and 1x return in the middle.
I have noticed on other cars that the feed comes from the rear, the return comes from the front and that the centre hole is plugged..????

Any reason for this????
Why would folks ignore the Tomei plumbing guide other than to save on a couple of braided lines??

TT
Normally there are only 2 entrance/exit holes on a stock rail
If you do not have twin pumps then a hole must be blocked off somewhere!!!
I had mine feed from the front and exit from the middle via the FPR This seemed the best way to get equal pressure accross the rail
I now have a twin 285 Lph pumps in a sard unit ,internally set in a swirl pot. This means i have 2 feeds. I will be putting one in each end and still have the return via the FPR in the centre.
Horses for courses i spose but i feel the centre will be the best place for even pressure across the rail
Jay

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
:bowdown1: :chuckle:

I am not sure on the maths and i am sure some one will burn me with them but does that not reduce the pressure the pump is capable of supplying.

If not then cool That would be the way to go.
Must admit did not study it too much when putting mine on
But then again my flatpack furniture always has spare screws and plugs LOL
Jay

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would have thouight that plumbing as per Tomei guide (Pic in 1st post) would have been preferrable as your getting feeds from both sides of the rail. Not sure that fuel pressure's an issue as its the regulator that regulates the pressure (strangely enough!). Just wondered why some folks would want to plumb it in like a std rail i.e 1 in and 1 out???
Strange how Tomei would manufacture the rail with 3 ports if they didnt want you to use them.
Maybe Mark or Tony could throw some logic at this being the Official Tomei bods for the UK :bowdown1: :bowdown1: :bowdown1:

TT

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Just wondered why some folks would want to plumb it in like a std rail i.e 1 in and 1 out???
Strange how Tomei would manufacture the rail with 3 ports if they didnt want you to use them.
TT
Conversely Why did Nissan with their infinate budget and design not put a split supply in in the first place?
If tha was the best way to do it Why did they not?
I quite agree that for maximum delivery 2 entrance and 1 exit does seem to be the best way
Jay

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, fair piont! But having worked for a prominent French car manufacturer :)chuckle:) I know that budgetary constraints usually mean that a 'minimum cost engineering' solution usually applies i.e it just does the job and no more. With aftermarket tuning companies, they normally have no such constraints so can come up with a better solution than the manufacturer.

Not many car companies can build a car with no regard to cost and throw the best engineering solutions at problems. Hell, even Ferrari has to build to a price and must go for the cheaper option on certain parts.

Anyway, Tomei rail looks bloody good. The more aeroquip coming off it the better :chuckle: :chuckle:

TT

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Anyway, Tomei rail looks bloody good. The more aeroquip coming off it the better :chuckle: :chuckle:

TT
Yup i must admit that is the only reason i bought mine:D When i bought it there was no reason to have it The engine was std.
Now however its supplying fuel for what i hope will be 600+hp
Post up some pics when u done:thumbsup:
Jay

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.