GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here running the Tomei Genesis Engine? How are you liking it and how much power do you currently have? I have been trying to find more info on this crate engine, but it seems there is limited information.

Yes, I know there are other crate engine options out there, but I am just interested in knowing about this engine first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loads of info out there

Which exact one you need information on?

Can also supply the engine if required
How much horsepower can it handle? Lets say my goal is between 650-700AWHP.

What is the best turbo that should be paired with it? I would prefer to have as little as a lag as possible

What aftermarket radiator and intercooler would you recommend?

What other supporting mods other than suspension/brakes would I need?

Feel free to PM me a quote :)

·
Registered
24,957 Posts
You need to decide on which exact engine you want first

The rest is personal choice

Ie twins or single set up etc

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I spoke to Tomei direct. It's a 12 to 18 month wait because the new N1 block is out of production and they are waiting on Nissan. They won't even take my money, and trust me, it's a lot of it :)

PM me and I will talk you through the direct from Tomei response and what your options are.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,172 Posts
How much horsepower can it handle? Lets say my goal is between 650-700AWHP.

What is the best turbo that should be paired with it? I would prefer to have as little as a lag as possible

What aftermarket radiator and intercooler would you recommend?

What other supporting mods other than suspension/brakes would I need?

Feel free to PM me a quote :)
With respect there is no such thing as 'best turbo'. Best is very subjective. Perhaps if you could provide as much detail as possible as to your application and preferences. Is the engine to go into a GTR even? Which one? Who's fitting the engine? What other mods have been done already?

Again with respect when people start asking about the best engine/best turbo with no other information its often because they don't really know what they are talking about. Tends to happen about the time of school holidays...

Of course I'm sure that isn't you but you can understand peoples' suspicions so help them to help you.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
RHD are charging £3000 for an N1 block. Don't know that is a result of a shortage and they have some or it's because of the recent Nismo price increase.

·
Registered
24,957 Posts
RHD are charging £3000 for an N1 block. Don't know that is a result of a shortage and they have some or it's because of the recent Nismo price increase.
its because Nissan have increased the prices on alot of RB items.

this includes the N1 block

Nissan/Nismo are only following other manufacturers who are putting up their prices, tomei for example on the Ti exhausts

GT-R parts are getting more expensive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With respect there is no such thing as 'best turbo'. Best is very subjective. Perhaps if you could provide as much detail as possible as to your application and preferences. Is the engine to go into a GTR even? Which one? Who's fitting the engine? What other mods have been done already?

Again with respect when people start asking about the best engine/best turbo with no other information its often because they don't really know what they are talking about. Tends to happen about the time of school holidays...

Of course I'm sure that isn't you but you can understand peoples' suspicions so help them to help you.
I know there have been advancements made to turbo set-ups since the HKSGTS-SS kit has been made. I am not too familiar with imports and turbos as I come from a background owning domestics(I currently own a 2015 Mustang GT) and the most popular forced induction setup is a centrifugal setup such as Vortech or a twin screw supercharger. So forgive my ignorance as I am still new to this.

I am importing a R34 GT-R that is bone stock with less then 30k kilometers. My goal is to have driveability in-town. Ideally, I want something with as little turbo lag as possible. I see people are running single turbo setups as opposed to the twin-turbo setup. My goal with the car is to do some standing mile events(no drag races) or roll races. The other cars I would be competing against are 800RWHP Vipers, Corvettes, GT-Rs, EVOs, ect.

Here is a picture of my Mustang :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
hmmm .. interesting ...

I was also considering the Tomei.

On my car now I am running HKS GT-SS, with HKS dowpipe, HKS Hi Power Silence exhaust. Standard crank on NITTO pistons and rods, Tomei PONCAMS (not that these will matter if I do change to a Tomei Genesis...)

I am using an ARC Airbox, to a brandless intercooler (changing to ARC), 90mm single throttle through RIPS intake plenum, HKS 800cc injectors on HKS fuel rail, all controlled by HKS F-CON (for the time being).

My engine is making about 350bhp, dynoed, at 1.3bar.

Which is the next bigger turbo if I am to keep with my twin low mount turbo setup?

I have considered the EFRs but they need to be top mounted, which is a no-no in my country, which is not mod friendly ...

HKS GT-RS? HKS GT2835? ARMS M7655? ARMS M8260? Greddy T51??

Am not keen on a single turbo, cos it is also a no-no here...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I think if it were me and I had to build an engine from scratch. I would be going the Rips route as it is proven and works. If my car didn't come with the engine I have then it would be a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
hmmm .. interesting ...

On my car now I am running HKS GT-SS, with HKS dowpipe, HKS Hi Power Silence exhaust. Standard crank on NITTO pistons and rods, Tomei PONCAMS (not that these will matter if I do change to a Tomei Genesis...)

I am using an ARC Airbox, to a brandless intercooler (changing to ARC), 90mm single throttle through RIPS intake plenum, HKS 800cc injectors on HKS fuel rail, all controlled by HKS F-CON (for the time being).

Which is the next bigger turbo if I am to keep with my twin low mount turbo setup?

I have considered the EFRs but they need to be top mounted, which is a no-no in my country, which is not mod friendly ...

Thanks!
None of those turbo's. Bin them all.

What size engine are you looking at. The 2.6 or 2.8?

If you MUST keep the low mounts than no bigger than a -5 or 2530 IMO.

·
Registered
502 Posts
2.8L genesis should be good i guess. ..
Although i have considered RIPS as GTRNICK suggested, but i think a RB30 is too much for my need

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.. ;p

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,172 Posts
hmmm .. interesting ...

Thanks!
If I remember correctly the GT-SS are the same as the 2510s which are the same as the Garrett -9s. The next step would be the 2530s or -5s. Should bolt up onto the all the kit you already have.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks guys! I did google for the -5... are they still in production?
There were quite a few comparisons between the original Garretts and the HKS branded 2530s... and it seems that the HKS were more superior because of the housing??
Correct me if i am wrong...
And.. the HKS 2530 seems to have been discontinued?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,957 Posts
Bar the single set ups (t04z)

Hks don't do a gtr turbo kit

They seem to have moved out of the turbo set up for older gtr

I went tomei set up which will be ok for a stage 1

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
GT2860 series recently got updated. Bronze bearing cages and ceramic ball bearings. The end result increased durability and an improvement in spool up.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts