GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i bought a tomei oilpump from my friend.

One thing that is strange is that when the backplate is mounted to the pump, i cant turn the gears by hand. when i mount the backplate and tightening it a little i can turn it(not smooth) When tightening all bolts with torque, then it wont turn by hand. Is this normal???

My N1 oilpump is smooth as oil. It turns when just touching it. But the tomeipump is nearly impossible.

Any one know why this is happening?

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Sounds like a tolerance issue...but if it's used and has no scores and was reassembled correctly I assume it's suppossed to be like that...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pump has worked well, bit the car it was on has obviously had some clearance issues(a as there are som light scoremarks, but cant imagen how that affects the inside of the backplate and the gears.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Could it be a shim/spacer/gasket that is missing and once fully tightened up the gears are binding?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could it be a shim/spacer/gasket that is missing and once fully tightened up the gears are binding?
No nothing like that either :( everything is in place and in the right order, im starting to think that it should be like that, as soon as it gets oil pressure maybe it will be good. :/

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here are som pictures of the inside of the pump and the gearcover/backplate.
One thing to mention is that the pump hasnt had any problems at all, it worked really good.

One thing ive done is wetsandpapered it with p1200, to clean it up. And i must say it got pretty clean. Didnt take any pictures of it thoug.

Here are som before pictures.

One of you guys on here surely must have had you hands on a tomeippump? :(

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Who informed you it's supposed to be like that if you don't mind me asking?
My friend speaked to Raw brokerage, and they said that these pumps are designed to be tight apparently, when the pump is mounted to the block then its no problem to tick the crank over.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tomei answered with this =Yes, once you changed (installed) to our Large oil pump, it is hard to rotate by hand.

Not impossible, but compare to stock oil pump, it use heaver and larger gear, so will be very hard to rotate it by hand.

I guess engineer will surprise when first time to install our oil pump, how heavy it is.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Give RBMotorsport a ring as they might some in stock that they can check if they are the same. Plus the are the uk distributor for tomei.

Graham

1 - 20 of 28 Posts