GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting sick of tools that break, and hunting around for the right one, I need to invest in a decent set.

I'm not talking Snap-on/Sealey etc, but something in a chest with decent quality tools covering most car applications.

There's loads around but I can't find any reviews...so thought I'd turn to you guys.

Anyone got any recommendations for a sub-£100 toolkit that would do an enthusiastic amateur?

Cheers :)

I.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Most of the sets that come complete in a chest are not up to much really.
The Halfords professional range is great quality and a lot cheaper than snap on and comes with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So better to just get the tools separately? Was looking at the Halfords Professional range, and they seem a good compromise cost/quality wise.

Cheers, will pop down and check them out properly :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oooh...£50 off:

Clicky

Looks good to me :)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have found them to be good.
Draper professional are good as well.
Get tools with a lifetime warranty and then you will only have to buy them once!
Take a look at the swivel head ratchet spanners as they come in handy.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have the Halfords professional range too and for the price cannot fault it. I broke one socket, clearly through my misuse and they replaced it immediatly :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point there!

Whereabouts in Norfolk are you? Have family up in Norwich & Beccles, so up there quite a bit.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
As an ex-mechanic, my box is full of different brands such as Snap-On, Draper Pro, Teng, Sykes-Pickavant and Britool stuff. All great brands IMHO and nothing has ever given up on me. TBH, Snap-On is good but very expensive and really not worth what they cost. Really rate Teng and Draper Pro. Teng still on the pricey side but a fantastic range of tools and fabulous to work with.
Got mostly Sykes-Pickavant sockets and they are a godsend. Highly recommended.

TT

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have not heard of Sykes Pickavant, is that mostly for guys in the trade?
Forgot to say about Britool as they are top notch as well especially the torque wrenchs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. given me a lot to think about. Just sick of rooting about for tools that the other half has mislaid, and that break when I do use them...

Has anyoe else got any experience with Brittool?

:)

·
Registered
303 Posts
there's also Sidchrome. but i think ur dreaming if u want a good quality set for 100, my socket set cost me AUD$330 (~100pounds)

·
Registered
8,548 Posts

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
I use Sealey, Draper Expert and Rolson. I found them all to be good, And thats at my Garage so they get abused for about 8 hours a day...

Im not keen on Snapon (Price that puts me off), Facom are also expensive and to be honest, They are not as good as you might expect, The screwdriver range they do is ok.

I have a couple of ratchet spanners from halfords, They seem to be really quite good.

I allways use 6 sided sockets (sealey and rolson) as they tend to get a better grip and have found no real world dis-advantage to them

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the opinions guys...got some homework to do now :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Facom are very sexy tools, but they're becoming more cool than tool. iirc they're painted on the side of Ferrari F1 cars.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you mean s#*tchrome (thats what the aussie mechanics call them)not very good,be better off buying snap-on
over the net from the U.S they pay a LOT less and so will you and still get the lifetime warranty! (even used tools).

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
I have a mix of Facom, Snap On, Britool, Sykes, Halfords Pro etc - most bought 2nd hand often through ebay.

I am not a fan off Draper having broken far too many of their tools over the years.

My favourite is an old Facom 1/4 drive socket set bought at a flea market in germany for a tenner. Loads of teeth in the ratchet, sockets always lock on, great for doing the inlet manifold.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts