GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so what would be the top 10 handling mods you would make right after you have bought a bone stock R32? (assuming a sensible budget for a standard R32 owner so no titanium or carbon and also assuming that the car is driven mostly on the road) The reason I ask this is that I started to make a list of the handling mods I could make and started having trouble coming up with anything after the obvious like tires, coilover etc... so please chime in. If I get replies, I will use this thread as my shopping list ;)

Here's my list (no means am I a Skyline/car expert so please don't take this as the truth... it's just something I _think_ would be important):

In no particular order:
- uprated coilovers
- performance tires (with light alloys and proper size/width)
- brake master cylinder stopper
- braided brake lines
- polyurethane bushings

...and this is where I started to hesitate... so please let me know what you have in mind. Are the control arms etc. ok as stock or should some of them be upgraded as well?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,172 Posts
Do brakes come under handling?

If so a larger master cylinder to go with the stopper.

Rear subframe c-collars though you might get the same result with new stiffer bushes.

Obvious one is a really good 4 wheel alignment!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
New bushes and a wheel aligment! You will notice a difference straight away, a master bush kit is best as it has all the required bushes.

Some braces front top, rear top and the braces which fit under the front wings

Upgraded brakes including bigger brake servo

Good coilovers such as MeisterR or some lowering springs on decent aftermarket shocks.

Also how about weight loss? Removing interior and other components would lighten the car allowing it to handle better perhaps?

Anti roll bars

Decent tyres

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
My top 10 would be (in no particular order)

1. Good tyres
2. HICAS delete
3. Decent coilovers with appropriate springs
4. Replacement of all bushes and balljoints
5. Fitment of adjustable arms front & rear
6. Solid steering coupling
7. Full geometry setup
8. Adjustable anti roll bars
9. Strut braces front & rear
10. Full weld in cage including suspension pick ups

There we go....

TT

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
A stock GTR handles really does handle well AS LONG AS THE PARTS ARE NEW OR NEAR NEW

But that certainly wont be the case which is to be expected as it is around 20 years old.

So replacing any worn part will give an improvement and if your car really is stock then most parts will be worn.
So replacing all the worn steering parts on the car should give you a car that you dont recognise .

And dont forget the main subframe bushes

Exceptions are probably tyres , arbs and suspension because you probably wont find a set of new stock dampers

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,172 Posts
A stock GTR handles really does handle well AS LONG AS THE PARTS ARE NEW OR NEAR NEW

But that certainly wont be the case which is to be expected as it is around 20 years old.

So replacing any worn part will give an improvement and if your car really is stock then most parts will be worn.
So replacing all the worn steering parts on the car should give you a car that you dont recognise .

And dont forget the main subframe bushes

Exceptions are probably tyres , arbs and suspension because you probably wont find a set of new stock dampers
This bears repeating. The majority of handling mods are about altering the car to your preference. Almost all of the stock set-up is very good if it's brand new.

The best approach is holistic - what is specifically in need of action with your car. If the bushes are shot then changing the wheels won't help.

Secondarily what do you want to do with the car. If you want a track car or a drag car or a road car or a cruiser then you have very different goals. How much compromise are you willing to consider?

I have seen a few cars with very big wheels, stretched tyres and super low ride heights - that would require a different set-up to a fast road car for example.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As above, you can blow money on these cars but seriously unless your driving skills are bloody high, I'd focus more on maintenance with an upgraded edge. I'd upgrade the discs when needed to say a set of DBA,s with pads (DS2500?) braided hoses,
(ditching the fluid in the braking system yearly and renewing is a cheap way of upping the maintaining good braking)
Polybushing is a good idea, but again, I wouldn't bother until the ones in the car are on the way out,
Tyres tyres tyres, the best single upgrade ever, (average tyre only has an area the size of your palm in contact with the road,,,, makes you think doesn't it)
The big thing with the 32 is to keep her maintained properly, change fluids and just keep on top of things...
Coilovers,,, again when the ones your using are past their best,,,,
Bare in mind if you use it as a daily and your all bushed up with some cusco coilovers in, a load of strut braces etc, the car could get perhaps too stiff for daily road use,,,

Hope that's some help,

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Me too ;) Tomorrow, like I promised earlier.

Yes that shouldve been on my list but as I have no experience of an uprated TSC (yet) I didn't include that but from what I hear it's one of the best handling mods even if the stock G-force sender is still perfoming correctly.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
My top 10 would be (in no particular order)

1. Good tyres
2. HICAS delete
3. Decent coilovers with appropriate springs
4. Replacement of all bushes and balljoints
5. Fitment of adjustable arms front & rear
6. Solid steering coupling
7. Full geometry setup
8. Adjustable anti roll bars
9. Strut braces front & rear
10. Full weld in cage including suspension pick ups

There we go....

TT
+1

Don't forget the brake stopper.

lighter flywheel

lighter cam wheels

cf propshaft makes the car feel more responsive.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Yes but hese things dont count as 'handling mods'.....

TT

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
+1

Don't forget the brake stopper.

lighter flywheel

lighter cam wheels

cf propshaft makes the car feel more responsive.
:nervous::nervous:

Are you serious or just having a but of a giggle??

TT

1 - 20 of 32 Posts