GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
But "ending" !?

I first got excited by Supercars when they released the first Countach and they said the same thing about that (and for pretty much every other supercar that's come out since then).

Truth is that there are far too many people on this world who think the main reason to be here is to drive Supercars, so there will always be a market and always be manufacturers. In fact if you think about the type of parameters they used to set back in the 1970s (ie anything that can reach 60 in less than 6 seconds and looks like your granny can't fit in the back!), then half the cars on the road today should never have been built.

OK maybe supercars in the future will run on biofuels, or water, but as long as they have tonnes of horsepower and make you need to change your underware after a drive, then they'll always be there. Cos' life wouldn't be worth living without them!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think TG is right - with all the BS around safety, speed, emissions and other tosh that the political beings at the Europeeing court of wrongness dream up super cars are doomed.

The new emissions rules means that the 458 replacement will not be a V8 but more like a V6 with turbos. There will be serious laws that outlaw anything that puts out more than a breath of fresh air.

Seriously, no more Veyrons, or big V12 and V10 engines - we all laugh with Jeremy and poke fun at the tree huggers but they will have the last laugh.

Look at the new company car tax rule - at the moment you only pay tax on the first 80K of a car - so I would say 50% of Bentleys, Rollers and other such cars will be bought as company vehicles. When that rule gets scrapped next year the benefits of owning these cars will be seriously eroded. So the real exotic stuff that can be owned by people with a good bit of cash will be bought in far fewer numbers. This will lead to less profit, which will lead to fewer models being developed and so on.

By the time it is all said and done the super car may be nothing more than a distant memory.

Kp

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I think the supercar is going to have to go the series-hybrid route. Within five years, there should be battery packs that can get 200 miles out of a charge, while pushing 600bhp and a THOUSAND lb/ft torque (electric motors produce more torque than horsepower, generally speaking). And to run a 100~150bhp ICE to power a generator, because the engine loads on the ICE will be controllable, emissions can be better controlled. And of course, pollution can be exported far out of the city with a series-hybrid, by plugging in at home to charge up, and let the folks living near the coal-fired electric plant 200 miles away feel the environmental impact of your driving.

Or let's say the car made 400bhp and 800lb/ft torque. Would many complain about a 130mph top speed, if it only took 5 seconds to hit 100mph from a standstill? Motors exist now that are 16" in diameter, 14" thick, and make (with one per wheel) 536bhp peak power and 295bhp continuous, but 1600lb/ft torque at 0rpm (but less at higher rpms). With ancillary equipment the electric drivetrain would weigh about 400kg.

·
Registered
798 Posts
ya have to agree with you there..you have a fair point!however one is always going to miss the roar,smell of juice,the gush of smoke out the zorst under hard acceleration and of course the bang and flames...

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Anyone else nearly moved to tears at the thought that Clarkson could be right?

:confused:

Or maybe it was the sad music :chuckle:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Of course he's not right - they've been saying exactly the same thing for over 30 years and look at the progression of the supercar - and HYPER cars in that time.

It's all bollocks, and when was Clarkson ever right ??? he's a journalist FFS!!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Its not just hypercars but the art of driving as we know it that in trouble from the politico's

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Yup. Anyone who can't see we are rapidly heading for mandatory GPS speed limiters has their head in the sand.

FFS, the GT-R pioneered this technology in Japan!

Enjoy your performance cars now, while you still can, is my motto...

·
Registered
634 Posts
David - you are so correct it is untrue. It's already started with the SPECs cameras, soon we will all have "car tags" to let the power that be know where we are.

Kp

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
David - you are so correct it is untrue. It's already started with the SPECs cameras, soon we will all have "car tags" to let the power that be know where we are.

Kp
If we have a mobile powered on or a GPS tracker then we already do have a "car tag"... it's just a matter of tapping in. :puke:

I agree with David, enjoy our supercar freedom whilst we still have it. Smokers were first on the list, who's next?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I must admit I can only see a continual tightening of the restrictions....

Specs3 Cameras, GPS + Mobile to know where you are, closely followed by auto speeding tickets (if they know where you are, they also know the speed limit)!

On top of that, once a speed limit is in place, there are very few circumstances which will get it raised. There are no politicians supporting motorists.

The only thing we can hope for is for the technology to allow variable limits, based on time of day, traffic levels, weather and road conditions.............

What no one will face is that many drivers are not competent - full stop. We need regular driver education and testing programmes. And possibly different license grades. But if any politician tried to do that we'd have the civil liberties groups bleating about infringing human rights........

Well thats cheered me up for the day - not!

·
Registered
690 Posts
or......................

..................we can all go and move to Germany! I drove to the F1 a couple of years ago and didnt see one speed camera, one road calmer, sleeping policeman or traffic cop! The roads were all smooth tarmac too! I'm sure there will always be somewhere to drive in peace! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts