GTR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 65 of 65 Posts
daz

I hired a laguna once and **** me I have never seen anything like it. I must have pissed off everyone and I went everywhere at 98 (cos it would not get to a ton) on the redline...understeeing into every corner.

And for some unknown reason the car would not let me turn the steering wheel to the left when in the outside lane....it was like some invisible force acting against me.

You know me Cem...I always take the masses into consideration and base my judgements on hard facts and past expereinces.

N

Haven't got time to read all this, but did any1 else notice the fat 1 slip up when talking about and pointing to the R34GTR? it went somthing along the lines of: "blah blah blah the Turbo [voice tells him in ear piece it has 2 turbos] corrects himself and more blah blah blah" :rolleyes: what an ijit :D

:( Hi Guys

I did not see the show and for once I think I am glad. I love seeing the skyline on telly but they never get the info right! As to it being an idiot proof car.... You put an idiot in one and it will be the fastest lets go to the scene of the accident movie, you ever saw!

Brake discs Ha

Nicko:mad:

guys there is alot of comments and hurt pride agreed ..
lets get hold of this 100 **** a day geeza and invite him to one exclusive meets in the new year and show him what we are all about... I think he might have to his ways.
your thoughts are welcome its a shame the program ...points of view ... wasn,t still on ..nuf said eh troopers;)

Guys I posted this into the wrong conference... here's a outline of what they said for all who missed it.

--- cut ---

I went to Middlehurst Nissan dealership on Saturday morning to collect a new key for my car and arrange for a service.

During that time I had a nice chat with Andy Middlehurst himself. Top Gear had just finished playing around with a press car the previous day, a Bayside Blue example, "W42 WJA" and he told me to watch out for the programme on Sunday night.

Did anyone see it? Jeremy Clarkson is a funny guy, however his 'technical' assistant managed to bungle up quite a lot of the facts about the GT-R.

They give approximate price (dealer 2nd hand) breakdowns as follows;

R34 GT-R £40,000
R33 GT-R £20,000
R32 GT-R £10,000

They also went on to say that R32 brake disks 'EXPLODE' (!) and to watch out for that! They said the R33 gearbox had common problems with the Syncro between 3rd & 4th gears and that the R34 was pretty much bulletproof. They did say to check for worn tyres since a set of new tyres on the R34 costs 1K to replace.

They also ripped the idea of the computer screen in the R34, dismissing it as a 5 minute wonder only useful for the playstation generation. They said that the R34 and R33 where pretty much 'identical' with the same engine, etc. and drove as such. They said your mum could drive like racing driver in the R34 because 'the computers' sort everything out for you! (really?).

They mentioned the power for the R34 as '276 bhp' and said its 0-60mph was 5.2 seconds. They didn't even mention that the R34 has a 6 speed box or smaller wheelbase and significantly stiffer chassis over the 33, etc. etc.

They said a Modified skyline was very BAD news, oh and also they had a big dig to watch out for dodgy 'imports' because they are bad.

They justified their 'never buy a modded skyline' lines by saying that the turbo's in as standard servicing/condition will last only '60,000' miles and cost £1,500 to replace. They said any increase in boost woud kill them much earlier than that (!). Hmmm seems to me they forgot to factor in more regular oil servicing would keep any cars turbo's healthier, in any case skyline turbos dont die at 60k!!!

Hmmmm the performance figures they quoted, well we all know they are a bit suspect really considering everyone knows the R34 has 329 bhp and a 0-60 of 4.7 seconds (datron verified). Perhaps this was deliberate or maybe just badly researched?

Aside from the programme, another interesting point was that Andy Middlehurst seems to think that the production GT-R will actually have radically different styling than that of the Concept when it comes out in 2004 (!!). Andy was offered a full size GT-R Concept model to show in the dealership but he turned it down (hehe). I must admit I am yet to find a GT-R owner who is smitten by the GT-R Concept, lets hope the release is much cooler.

Trev

61 - 65 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.