GTR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Gear show - very disappointed...

6K views 64 replies 39 participants last post by  Trevor 
#1 · (Edited)
Top Gear... What a load of Bol****!

Some of that stuff was a load of shite...!

Thought the stuff with steve Coogan was funny (And rather Sad!) but forgive me if i am wrong but the talk abouty Skylines was just nonsense!

You get exactlly the same stuff in a 33 as you do in the 34 (Same engine, Turbos etc) I am pretty sure that the turbos are different... Oh and come on.. Own up.... Who's brake disks have EXPLODED...:rolleyes:

#2 ·
Top Gear show - very disapointed...

It saddened me to see such a well respected show presenting such ill informed facts.

Discs are known to explode.
This is the first time I've ever heard of such an occurance. Is this something that has ever happened? Please re-educate me if I'm misinformed.

zzz......

Grey Imports are often found to have service books stolen and mileages tampered with.
Then more the fool you for buying an import without a service book. I'm on my 3rd Japanese import and have had this problem. As for mileage fraud, the Japanese auctions come through strict procedures to make sure everything is as stated and comes through a stringent grading system.

And why on earth does Dubai get mentioned on every topic of importing cars? It's about time the Top Gear team made a concerted effort to make sure the facts regarding imports are clear and concise. Quentin Wilson did bugger all to help the import market, Top Gear are doing themselves an injustice by continuing his legacy.

It's pretty coincidental that all the cars come from Middlehurst, don't you think?

Other than that, the programme showed the Skyline to be a good buy, with positive remarks as to the resale values and claiming it to be the only true sportscar to come from Japan (selling other brands a little short, perhaps).

Why don't these people approach the owners of these cars, for REAL facts and stories?

Cem....

#3 ·
Agree with you about that, they took a totally negative and remiss view of the cars , and of japanese cars in general. I think Mr Middlehurst would have done well to actually ask TopGear what they were going to do or say with respect to the Skyline, before allowing them to film a host of thier cars.

Then again what do I know....

Take Care,
Ahmed
The Original Scouser

#5 ·
OOOOh, the first post of many i suspect ! How many emails have topgear recieved from you boys n girls already then ?

To be fair, it was good that they did a piece on them...i enjoyed seeing skylines on there anyway. I can't possibly comment about the things the guy said because - well, i simply don't have the knowledge. I know a bit here and there, but i don't know what goes wrong with what models, etc. etc. I've never heard of any horror stories, just the odd niggle - which you get from any car.

Someone definately needs to turn up there with a big power car and say "it's been running like this for xx thousand miles - with no hiccups at all".

Daz - waiting fot the forum to "unleash" !

#8 ·
Hi,

I thought it was nice to see Skyline's on TV for once, but they didn't have much of anything to say regarding complements. Also they got dates wrong of the R32 and R33.
The R33 wasn't launched in 1996, it was launched in 1995!

They could also have made an effort to vary the Skyline's shown, rather than just following the same R34 all of the time.

Regards,
-Elliot

#9 ·
It was R32 GTR brakes...news to me. Any owners had their discs explode? I have R34GTR brakes so I must be ok.
Don't forget, better not to modify from 280 bhp :)rolleyes: ) as the turbos are going to wear out, lol:D
(GTR R32's are) "long in the tooth".....you w*nker, come out for a spin with me:D
Amazing how much information you can gain from the forum, that makes you laugh at a report like this.
Dave
(was not impressed)

#11 ·
Agree with you about that, they took a totally negative and remiss view of the cars , and of japanese cars in general. I think Mr Middlehurst would have done well to actually ask TopGear what they were going to do or say with respect to the Skyline, before allowing them to film a host of thier cars.

Then again what do I know....

All in all looked like a promo exercise to sell more 2nd hand cars via middlehurst, only problem is they give such a negative impression of reliablitly with the "discs exploding bullshit" that i think its backfired on them.
Also they would have done well to mention that theres a hell of a lot of people it seems who are driving around with 1000's of import cars, problem free, and like with anything in life a few bad cases do occur, but you cannot say that doesnt happen through purchasing a car from a dealership in lovely rip-off britian ?

Take Care, a rather unimpressed with TopGear and Middlehurst..
Ahmed
The Original Scouser

#12 ·
Agree with every one on here. Total crap.

Turbos gone after 60K!!! And the discs exploding line was the funniest. I just thought to myself; total bol!ocks.

Also they said that the R33 was the best buy, so they should have driven that more and put the message across. And they didn't once recommend to import. Just relied on UK cars.

#13 ·
bag of ****

suppose my 390bhp R33 is about to disintegrate as it's got 72k on the clock. Using that fat blokes reasoning Ronnie's should spontaneusly combust - bunch of arse.

Perhaps a selection of MPEG's should accompany the emails to TG giving an idea of what Skylines are really about. Especially after spending half the programme telling us what fantastically fast/powerful/wonderful handling you can get for £160,000

:rolleyes:

#14 ·
Must admit, i did have a chuckle at the exploding brake discs bit...have never read anything of that since i've been here !!

Didn't know anything about the gearbox problem mentioned - i realise that the big horsepower cars here are pushing the boxes hard, but i've not heard of many gearbox woes.

Some parts were a shame....but it was nice to see 'em on there.

In general, it was a weaker show this week. The Burns chat was a bit short - which was a shame...The Aston sounds lovely (saw a DB7 Vantage yesterday), the Ferrari was rather nice too.

Daz

#15 ·
The only reference i have ever heard to a disc problem was on some of the early Godzilla privateers in Japan, when they did shatter and bust a link usually after some truly scary driving!

I stand to be corrected but that's it.

First time I've ever watched the whole thing (well nearly) got bored shortly after the Skylines, TV is still infested with fools.

#16 ·
I can't believe that's all they could come up with in regard to the Skyline. I've read here that some of the big boys contacted Top Gear about taking part in the show. If I'm not mistaken one of the programmes researchers had a ride in Ronnie's R33. And then this...

Not impressed at all.

MDG.

#17 ·
Must remember to never buy a Skyline thats been 'chipped'

Couldn't believe it when 'Fat B'stard' (baby back, baby back, baby back ribs :D ) went to show the tyre wear on that 34 and all I could see was that badly kerbed rim.

Middlehurst you should be ashamed if it was you guys :rolleyes: .

Oh and wow, they are still using the Playstation Generation saying, YAWN.

Ah well least it gave us something to moan about all on the same side for a change :smokin: .

glen

ps. nice to see the footage of the Aus Touring Cars though

#18 ·
Re: Must remember to never buy a Skyline thats been 'chipped'

TOKYO said:

ps. nice to see the footage of the Aus Touring Cars though
OH YES !!!! I nearly fell off my chair when i saw those ! I have never seen any footage of the R32's in action (nor many photo's). What absolute beasts they looked !! Imagine seeing one with that bodywork on the road...i think i'd crash watching it !

Daz

#19 ·
Glen,

First he goes on to say it isn't like the Ferrari or the Aston, it has no pedigree
!!!!
Then he goes on to show the bleeding car winning all the trophies across the world.
And yes, I also saw that wheel, nice job. :rolleyes:

And if I hear ONE MORE reference to the car being an idiot proof car, then I'm gonna take em to a Skyline graveyard and show them how easy it is to lose a Skyline in the wrong hands! I've spun the car in the wet on the track once, why the hell couldn't the computer save me then FFS!

Cem

#20 ·
Well I enjoy the the show format...

Guests etc...

But some of the features are very weak!

The skylines bit was probably written by middlehurst :rolleyes: and offered some of the worst advice I've seen on buying a skyline! Nothing about Vspec vs Standard or sensible things to check when buying... (well apart from tyres @ £1000)

#21 ·
Gearbox Woes

My 4th to 5th synchro has never been right since I got the car. 3rd to 4th as well sometimes (on the drag strip).
Middlehurst rebuilt the gearbox in late 1999. I rang Andy to see why it had gone wrong so quick, spoke to the man himself and he said I was lucky it had lasted that long!
Nissan gearbox's are a weak point.
Glen, aussie touring cars....must post a thread.
Dave

#22 ·
a buying guide to the Nissan Skyline...
Well it was going to be full of problems for the types of people that write thses programs... Motoring shows are never going to encourage grey imoprts, they would upset too many of the uk car suppliers...
Dubai! Exploding disks, R32 long in the bloody tooth!!! 272bhp... the list goes on... the only positive thing was that the R34 is bullit proof... but then all cars share a lot of engine, and all will out live a toyota...

I love seeing skylines on telly... but why always such a short negative - elctronics make anyone drive well, car for the playstation age, blah, blah, bolax???

aston was nice though... friends dad was picked up by AM in a helicopter and flown to test drive a vantage volante a little while back...

#24 ·
He he

I didn't actualy see the first half of the programme but when I just saw what Cem said I was thinking the same myself. It is something that realy winds me up when people say a Skyline drives itself. I can drive my sunny far harder coz of the short wheel base and perm 4wd.

Luke

#25 ·
Hi,

The 2 cars which were in the Top Gear studio (The Bayside Blue R34, and the Black R33), I saw at Middlehurst yesterday parked at the front. They must have got their information from Middlehurst.

Does anybody here happen to own any of the 3 cars (White R32, Silver R33, or Bayside Blue R34)?

Regards,
-Elliot

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.