GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I installed the AEM ECU on my newly bought skyline with topsecret engine. I don't have many specs on the car so my main question is, does anyone know specs on the Top Secret 'drag-R' engine? This is the engine in the car:

My main question is; what could be the safe rev limit? We've taking the engine all up to 8000 RPM and it keeps on asking for more fuel, so the max torque hasn't been reached yet. The car does rear wheel spins at 120 mph after which the front torque meter goes to the roof. I've never seen a fuelling curve like this car has, we've burned half a tank of gas in less than 30 minutes. Normally the torque falls after a certain RPM, but this engine goes on and on and on... If the max torque is at 8000 RPM or over, what should be the rev limit? Anyone know what top secret advices?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
How do you know it doesn't just have a name plate stuck on the top of a standard engine ?
You need to know what's inside it to work out the safe limits.

Even Top Secret's 'Drag-R' engines are not all the same since it depends on the purpose they were intended for. Some have aftermarket cranks and others have a re-worked stock one.
When I had one with a T88 the boost was limited to 1.6 IIRC (maybe 1.7) because of the internals. The turbo and setup could have run much more but the life of the crank would have been, er, unpredictable.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Bean said:
How do you know it doesn't just have a name plate stuck on the top of a standard engine ?
You need to know what's inside it to work out the safe limits.
Concur with that Bean. Happens a lot.
Is there an other way to find out what sort of crank is used besides taking out and dismantel the complete engine?

Henk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts