GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
GT2

I was told 188mph verbally on the day, I guess that must have been wrong then, since the official results have the Supra winning.

Guy

·
Registered
59 Posts
For thise who missed Ronnie's launch, think golf ball and nine iron... :eek: :D

The gumball one was embarrassingly slow compared to the "proper" ones (AKA Ronnie, "Tokyo", and the other mental R34). I'm still trying to get my head around the launches - and failing abissmally... :eek: ;) :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Elvington

Hi

Just to say great day at Elvington

I only hope that people now stand up and
give the Skyline recognition

No one could touch the Skylines yesterday

There were no cars even close who could match Ronnies / Glens
cars off the line.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Launches

I still can't believe a 1600kg car should be able to go that fast.

The picture in my head is the 4wd final, Ronnie vs Glen, 2 incredible launches, both off the rev-limiter, both smoking tyres - totally awesome.

Guy

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yes Tiggs you drove very well and claimed a fair few scalps yesterday.
Wish I could say the same. I should have went home at 10:30 after my first run!
Still there is always next time!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
and Rupert(Sorry!)....and that green golf...and Si's evo (cause it went bang!) and everyone else I went up against up to 500m!!! yehaaaaaa:)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yes Guy,
Good cars, Good friends, Good drivers, Good launches...Good God did you see them go!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yes but as I said earlier it broke.
As also said earlier it is a stripped out race car.

If that Cossie was that good it would have been in the final with Ronnie.
It wasnt and that can not be changed.

That cossie did look good off the line though!!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Second?

Who cares? Noone remembers the second place.
Except if you are best of the rest.
All the other clubs are talking about one marque and one marque only....the one that drove home..heh heh.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Congratulations to everyone that went :D
Glad to see everyone drove home with no broken cars :D
Will definately get the vid and plan to attend next year.
Best regards Alan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Pegleg,
Fair comment, but the only reason that he wasn't in the final was because the transmission developed a noise and Gareth wasn't happy to destroy the transmission for the sake of second place. He gracefully accepted the fact that there was no way that he could compete with Ronnie. :D

It maybe stripped out, but this does not compensate for the cage and the extra strengthening, so the car is just as heavy as a road going version. The car is also totally road legal, so still not sure what your point is? ;)

Still as you say the Skylines all went home in one piece, which considering the grief that the top four cars were given is inconceivable.

I'm STILL trying to comprehend the speed and power of Ronnie's car and am STILL failing. I think a passenger ride is the only way that I would be able to properly absorb the reality.... ;) :D

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Good day

Had a great weekend.

Saturday afternoon after arriving at the hotel 20 minutes after the Bear, he left about 3 hrs before us!, should have done the A1 Big Bear:)

Saturday night, rib eye steak, and then, the amazing simalarity between my beer belly and the Baileys favour cheese cake, had the same wobble factor, it kept the midget amused at least.:D Scarey.

Sunday morning, hearing of Paul F standing outside in the middle of the night in just his pants after stepping out for fag, cant understand it though, he was sharing a room with a huge one:p

Sunday ;- Well, what can I say, second fastest Skyline out of all of em in qualifying all day only held off by Ronnie's 33, well done Ron, good show. Couldnt get near him, he is probably the only car where the 100+ odd bhp difference was made apparent compared to my car. I ran best of 13.1 @ 130mph 0-500m, 178mph terminal run, but did one last run but didnt pick up the ticket so may have done better, not sure, hope so as I remembered the splash button that time, doh. The finishing top 4 cars of our catagory were ronnie, cossy, ND eco and Me, not bad at all if I say so myself considering the competition!

Things changed when 2nd and 3rd guys dropped out for the head to head and two other skylines were brought in so 4 skylines for the finalli, I went up against Ronnie, got a blinding launch, had about 3/4 car length on him from the start, out of first, into second, into second, into second, into second, FFFFF&&&CCCKKK, it just wouldnt go in and Ronnie thundered forward to win. The result was having to watch the slower skylines from qualifying ( glen and Ged ) battle out to race Ronnie for the final final and give Glen his dues, he went for it with a fantastic launch but just didnt have the power to steal Ronnies glory. Went over and shook Ronnies hand, he did what I wanted to and did it good.

Also had a go on the coned out mock up track, flew round three times, full opposite lock, foot to the floor coming out at the end of the track, all 4 tyres smoking and screaming, anyone who saw it said it looked as good as it felt which is nice. other two runs around the track left with oversteer due to excessive speed, took out cones side-on in a huge drift, managed to half remove my Nismo side skirt and scratch both sides of me rear bumper for being too silly, by the time I went to have a proper fast time run around it was 3.30 and getting ready for the final so had to leave the track with just 4 wheel power drifts and no good times, hehe.

The end result :- 2nd in qualifing, 3rd in Class and god knows overall, must have been either 2nd or 3rd round the track for the skylines as only me, ronnie and the Bear had a go which I cant understand as I thought this whole event was the best times for all three events to make the winners? Still, what a laugh and its on camera, the camera guys there put a in-car camara in my car as - I quote ' youre the only guy who's given it some round here today, can I put a camera in your car please?' Of course you can, hehe.

Went home nursing a broken gearbox from the abuse its had, feeling bruised from the second gear not going in and having to settle for 3rd place when before the switch around I was 2nd.

Had a great day, sorry I missed Tigs and her whipping Gren San and The Bear, you winkles, beaten by a girl:p

One last highlight of the day, the midget running to sit back in his chair that I just got out of for a second, sitting in and falling backwards off the chair and onto the floor. hehe, serves you right you selfish twat:p :smokin:

See you's at G-Force in 3 weeks time.

·
Registered
298 Posts
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

What a day, what a bunch of nice blokes and what amazing cars and lessons in driving.

Dirk, the drift thru the cones was a true classic and I will not forget it in a hurry.

Ronnie, what can I say...amazing!

Glen, first time I've seen you drive that beast and you were awesome.

The lads, nice one and see you all again soon!

Jimmy

·
Registered
488 Posts
Mechanical Sympathy...

Bloody fantastic day – even got sunburnt!

Ronnie – you’re a star. As far as I was concerned, this weekend really made it clear to me that racing down a strip is not about how fast your car is, (although this can make a difference) it’s primarily about how good a driver you are, and my God, Ronnie’s good!

I thought that I’d be able to put in some good times only to be embarrassed as to how bad my launch technique was and how hard it really is to get a good run. Hats off too to Ronnie, Henry, Glen and Dirk who all had the Skyline launch down to a tee.

Bollocks of the day go to Glen San who basically did what I should have done and attacked the even with anger giving an incredible display of alter ego!

I am afraid that my levels of mechanical sympathy (Guy’s phrase) were too high, and I paid the price with crappy times…

…but I did get home in one piece.

See you all soon.

Rupert

21 - 40 of 55 Posts