GTR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You see topmount turbos when people are running huge turbos that won't fit in the stock locations, but I'm thinking that topside mounting may make sense even for smaller turbos, as it just seems the turbos will cool better in that position, especially if a vent is placed above them in the hood. It'd also keep heat rising off the turbos from heating up the tube feeding the turbo side of the FMIC (dunno what it's called, it's the piece that says "twin turbo" on stocker setups).

It may not look impressive with 2530-ish sized turbos placed front and center, but maybe they'll live longer. Thoughts?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had an old Pontiac with a roots blown 3.8litre and I changed the hood to a dual scoop hood, mostly for looks but figured it might help temps....not a chance.

Turbo's and outlet temps are hot no matter which way they are mounted. I think the gains would be minimal at best if you would even be able to see any and you would be better off upgrading to a more efficient IC if temp is an issue.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Top mount can cause some massively high localised bonnet temperatures which may in time cause problems with the pintwork. Any air openings in the bonnet will also allow rainwater to flood over your engine causing ugly rust. I have tried some of these ideas over the years myself, and have discovered some of the problems the hard way.

If you are building a show pony, fair enough. but if you want a practical reliable everyday road car stay low mount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts