GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just had some new rubber on rears of my r33 gtr and since then torque gauge a lot more sensitive in applying power to the front. Is this the norm with new tyres? Ok fair enough we have plenty of rain but not normally this sensitive?
cheers

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
As above. When I fitted new rear tyres to my old GTR the torque guage was always flicking about but after a few hundered miles it settled down to normal.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
torque guage

As above. When I fitted new rear tyres to my old GTR the torque guage was always flicking about but after a few hundered miles it settled down to normal.
Done about 50 miles now and seems to be improving so fingers crossed. Noticed guage will go up to about 8-10 more so when accelarating at speed in 3rd,4th and 5th and dry roads so must be tyres!!??

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
did you replace the rears with the EXACT same brand and model of tire? Different brands may have very slightly different circumferences. Generally though, if possible, with the same size tire (of course), if one's worn down and one's got more meat on the treads (hence, slightly bigger), you'd want the worn down ones in front.

I had worn out rears and when I put new fronts on, the torque gauge went bonkers, and engaged according to speed!!

In general however, I'd view a more sensitive AWD to be a good thing, so long as the power transmission is intermittent, and occurring at the proper moments (wheelslip, and simple acceleration).

·
Registered
366 Posts
......what Toby said...
Your rear tyres must be smaller rolling radius than the one's they've replaced, i always replace all four with identical tyres, and switch front to rear every 1k miles.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
torque guage

The fronts needed replacing so as back ones were good decided to put them on front and new ones on the back. Only thing the new rears are different brand to old ones (now the fronts).. I'll give it some more miles and see what happens?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I think you'll be fine. I had Dunlop sp9000 on the front (old) and Falken fk452 (brand new) on the back. After a about 100 or so miles mine settled back to normal. Just see how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts