GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Having problems with my recently imported Skyline, when the clutch is at it's biting point the torque control is sending power to the front wheels and making a horrible 'graunging' noise no matter how gently I pull away.

I have removed the gearbox and checked the clutch (it was a non-standard twin plate job) because I assumed the problem was the release bearing.
But I still have the problem with a new release bearing fitted.

Once in gear there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car!

Been browsing the forums and I'll check the diagnostics and the HICAS fluid bottle in the boot tomorrow, but any other help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

:smokin:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Transfer boxes

Some noise is made by most of the tranfer boxes but the noise you are describing doesn't 'sound' too healthy.
However the torque control will only transfer power to the front when the rears start to loose traction . If you are starting normally from stand still there should be no power transfer to the front . Does it show power to the front on the torque meter ?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
noise

sounds like you just have the usual noise coming from a performance clutch.

It sounds like you havent engaged gear properly and the gearbox is about to fall out?

If it sounds like that its normal for a upgrade clutch.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
It sounds like a HICAS problem, I assume you know how to engage diagnostics?

Ultimately the only time power should be going to the front is when either the rears are slipping (not the case) or HICAS is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
dont panic

what clutch do you have ?HKS ?geiken ?
is the gearbox standard ?
Gary
GT-ART

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reponse guys,

To answer some of the questions raised, yes the torque meter does show that power is going to the front wheels even when I leave the engine at tickover and just engage the clutch gently. The problem seems worse when the steering is on full lock (HICAS yaw control getting confused maybe). I got HICAS diagnostic info from another thread on this forum so I shall look at that tomorrow.

Clutch is a twin dry plate which 1 plate locks up after a few turns, there is no identifying marks on the clutch so I can't say who manufactured it. The car has a sticker under the bonnet showing NISMO 595 tuned (does that mean 595bhp?), the flywheel is also way too small as standard Skyline clutch has a larger diameter than the flywheel! Gearbox looks standard...but this is the first Skyline GTR I've imported so I could be wrong.

Maybe this is just the noise a performance clutch makes, but before I drive my new baby properly I want to be absolutely sure I'm not damaging anything.

I'll let you know what the results of the diagnostics are tomorrow.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts