GTR Forum banner

Total width?

7K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Kamae 
#1 ·
I have one of those double garages with two seperate doors and a brick pillar in the middle.

It occured to me that it my be a bit marginal getting the R35 through the door. My Land Cruiser doesn't fit.

If not I am faced with some major garage alterations.

Any idea of the width of the car, and in particular how much is saved with the wing mirrors retracted?

Anyone else have that configuration door? Experiences?

So much to consider before taking delivery :)

#2 ·
IIRC it is 1895mm wide. The mirrors dont save you much, guessing about 50 mm each size.

I have a tight garage and it is a squeeze but fits ok. Mirror tip to mirror tip it is a pretty normal size. It just looks big because most of that width is body, not body with 8" mirrors stuck on each side.

#3 ·
Hi

I have that sort of garage. The width of the opening is 227cm, and it just fits comfortably with the mirrors extended. I have resorted to laying a white tape strip on the garage floor that I line up the top of the steering wheel and bonnet bulge, and it makes it a lot quicker and easier

(In the photo the gap on the left hand side looks bigger than it is!)

Guy

#4 ·
Hi

I have that sort of garage. The width of the opening is 227cm, and it just fits comfortably with the mirrors extended. I have resorted to laying a white tape strip on the garage floor that I line up the top of the steering wheel and bonnet bulge, and it makes it a lot quicker and easier

Guy
Thanks very much Guy - you have just made my day :clap:

Just measured my doors and they are exactly 227cm as well - guess they must be a standard size.

The white tape idea is a good one as well.

#8 ·
two become 1

I had the same issue ,there's no quick fix except :- doors out , facia off £ 150.00 steel RSJ in , box it all back up , remove the brick pier . & fit a £ 1,800.00 electric roller shutter door , job done . I would like to think you could get the whole job completed for £2,500.00 PM me if you want some pic's or info , but it makes a bloody great garage . :thumbsup:

#10 ·
I had the same issue ,there's no quick fix except :- doors out , facia off £ 150.00 steel RSJ in , box it all back up , remove the brick pier . & fit a £ 1,800.00 electric roller shutter door , job done . I would like to think you could get the whole job completed for £2,500.00 PM me if you want some pic's or info , but it makes a bloody great garage . :thumbsup:
Still considering it as an option. Would prefer to drive straight in to the garage without the few inches to spare, even though it is nice to know it will fit.

Had a procession of trades people in today - pre-arranged, and £2.5K looks possible. In the context of a £60K car it actually seems necessary.

#13 ·
I've been having exactly the same problem, except with a single garage. It's the door aperture that's the limiting factor though.

I think the 1895mm quoted does not include the wing mirrors, either folded or otherwise. This is certainly the case with my current car and I think might be standard when widths are published. A quick measurement at the dealers gave me approximately 1981mm width with wing mirrors out.

My current garage door is 7' wide, which should be 2133mm or so. All sounds fine, but in fact a new door (hopefully 7'6") will probably be needed as all the hinge gear and runners take another 2 inches or so off both sides and make it dangerously tight (especially as the points of danger are steel bolt heads:eek:).
I see the garage door in the picture above has 'retractable plus' hinges, which maximise the drive-through width. This certainly seems to be a good option, but it'll just cost me £1300 or so to change the door. Grr.

Car's not due to arrive for another few months, so I've got a bit of time. Gives me something to do while I'm waiting, I guess...:)

Andrew

#14 ·
Car's not due to arrive for another few months, so I've got a bit of time. Gives me something to do while I'm waiting, I guess...:)

Andrew
Trust me - when it is imminent - all these considerations I never considered before suddenly spring to the fore.

Still at least Nissan have delayed my car until March 5 earliest - must have heard about my garage :chuckle:

#16 ·
Is that increasing the absolute width or combining two in to one - as in removing centre pillar and fitting a bigger door?

I am looking at a nice wood grain effect electric rolling shutter door to replace the two painted fibreglass ones - I can't see how the neighbours could make a case that it detracts from the neighbourhood in some way.

But now you mention it - thanks - it is worth a phone call to the council.

#19 ·
With 227cm opening, you'll be absolutely fine. I think mine is exactly 7ft - ie 213cm. I can drive in with the mirrors out, but there's only a few cm clearance each side. Therefore, usual technique is to stick me head slightly out of the window line pretty close on driver's side. drive in up to mirrors, fold in mirrors, drive in another few feet and fold out mirrors to check the back rear wings as I drive the rest of the way in. Sounds cumbersome but you get used to it quickly and it's a lot cheaper than building work.

Whne mine went it for its 6 month service last week they gave me a new golf hire car. I was amazed to find that getting that in the garage was just about as tight as the GTR - wing mirrors stick out miles and don't seem to fold in (unless I just overlooked the switch).

Mirror on end wall is a great idea too - just don't do what I did and try to do it on the cheap with sticky backed mirror roll and thin MDF sheets - the mirror bubles up after a few days from the heat of the GTR and then it looks like your under water from then on. I sacked this in the end and just do as above now and no probs so far.

Mick

#21 ·
Mirror on end wall is a great idea too - just don't do what I did and try to do it on the cheap with sticky backed mirror roll and thin MDF sheets - the mirror bubles up after a few days from the heat of the GTR and then it looks like your under water from then on. I sacked this in the end and just do as above now and no probs so far.
You can still do it on the cheap with the right product Mick, I used a very good MS Polymer Adhesive/Sealant, spacers underneath (pieces of wood tbh) to lift of the floor, used one 290ml tube back of the mirror and just stuck it on, no fixings nothing holding it in place apart from the adhesive. The mirror is solid as a rock.

#22 ·
I find reversing into the garage easier than going forward. My doorway is tight with only about 5-10cm on each side with the mirrors out. I've hung a foam football from the roof so when the spoiler knocks that, I know that I'm in as far as I need to be for the door to close as its pretty tight lengthways as well.

PS This post sounds filthy if we weren't talking about garages!!

#23 ·
Yes - definitely :chuckle:

I have decided that before I spend £2.5K on mod'ing the garage - prefer to spend it mod'ing the car - I will take delivery and see how it fits in real-time.

From what I have read it looks promising.

Just need to pin that delivery date down now - just slipped to March 5.

#31 ·
Just a word to those worrying about planning permission the neighbouring architect's advice is a little off!

Changing the width of the opening or even combining the two into one that's been discussed is most definitely not a planning issue, unless:-
a. you live in a conservation area,
b. your house is a listed building,
c. your alterations make the house closer to the highway
d. you make other material changes to the vehicle access that affect the highway

You can go to your local council planning department to discuss this with them - but this is what they will tell you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.