GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I might be a bit biased.... all of the following are vids of my car :chuckle:

TOTB 2009 1km run
Robbie Ward driving the RIPS Drag-R at Ten of the Best 2009. As soon as the car leaves the 1/4 mile 'prepared' run all four tyres light up and spin for the rest of the journey. Imagine wheel spinning all four from about 160mph upwards!

TOTB 2009 qtr mile burn out
Robbie Ward completes a full 1/4 mile burn out in the RIPS Drag-R for the highly amused crowd.

TOTB 2009 RIPS Drag R 1
Robbie Ward driving the RIPS Drag-R at TOTB 2009. Run time 9.47 secs at 147mph.

TOTB 2009 RIPS Drag R 2
RIPS Drag-R with Robbie Ward on his last qualifying run with a time of 9.46 seconds and 155mph.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
What terminal speed did Robbie run on the top speed run mate and what gearbox are you using currently? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
jeff what did the smoke turn out to be on the first video? I remember the car pulled back into the pits and there was still smoke and smelt of rubber!

Was the smoke from the tyres starting to spin up after the quarter mile or was there a problem?

Amazing car.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
jeff what did the smoke turn out to be on the first video? I remember the car pulled back into the pits and there was still smoke and smelt of rubber!

Was the smoke from the tyres starting to spin up after the quarter mile or was there a problem?
Yeah we had a problem, traction :bawling:

When we returned to the pits after the 1km run there was still smoke comming from under the front guards, I thought it was brake smoke at first from the hard stop but when one of my crew put his hand up under there he got burnt from molten rubber off the front tyres still smoldering on the plastic guard liners :smokin:

I did notice the car start to slip and drift a little after about the 500 meter mark but it pulled clean and hard to the km mark and was well settled before the finish line so I just rode it out, our data shows 191mph but the same as a few others, unfortunatly our slips did not show this information.

We had the quickest 60ft of the day, highest 1/4 mile mph of the day, were only 0.02 off the fastest 1/4 mile time of the day and I did see somewhere the organisers confirmed 1 car hit 190mph on the standing km so I'm confident our data is correct.

All in all a great day and we couldn't really have asked for much better.

Rob

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Yeah we had a problem, traction :bawling:

When we returned to the pits after the 1km run there was still smoke comming from under the front guards, I thought it was brake smoke at first from the hard stop but when one of my crew put his hand up under there he got burnt from molten rubber off the front tyres still smoldering on the plastic guard liners :smokin:

I did notice the car start to slip and drift a little after about the 500 meter mark but it pulled clean and hard to the km mark and was well settled before the finish line so I just rode it out, our data shows 191mph but the same as a few others, unfortunatly our slips did not show this information.

We had the quickest 60ft of the day, highest 1/4 mile mph of the day, were only 0.02 off the fastest 1/4 mile time of the day and I did see somewhere the organisers confirmed 1 car hit 190mph on the standing km so I'm confident our data is correct.

All in all a great day and we couldn't really have asked for much better.

Rob
yes i seen the smoke coming from the front corners when you pulled up LOL.

Take it your back home now rob? nice to meet you even tho it was a quick hello!

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Gearbox Was...OSG OS88:D
Nothing is going to take that kind of abuse !

C
We went to TOTB with a suspect 3rd gear and did not think we would make the full day. Luckily it did us proud and only gave up after quite a struggle :chuckle:

·
Following EJH#25
6,832 Posts
We went to TOTB with a suspect 3rd gear and did not think we would make the full day. Luckily it did us proud and only gave up after quite a struggle :chuckle:
How can you possibly have a suspect 3rd gear after a 'FULL' rebuild, surely the box should have been 100%; or was that gear not replaced during the rebuild?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
The box had the input shaft replaced and a selector and dog but 3rd gear wasn't available so RBs tidied it up as best they could but warned it may not hold, luckily it lasted till the finals where we'd already decided not to race due to it being wet.

Rob

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Very very nice work, looks and sounds awesome :) Nice launches too haha, I can imagine it'd have gone even quicker on a better condition track.

Congrats guys!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Rob congrats............nice [email protected] .... how much whp do you need to make that amazing miles ??
do you race the car over 1000rwhp ?..... because in my hp calculator 700hp - 137mph, 800 - 146mph, 900 - 155mph

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Rob congrats............nice [email protected] .... how much whp do you need to make that amazing miles ??
do you race the car over 1000rwhp ?..... because in my hp calculator 700hp - 137mph, 800 - 146mph, 900 - 155mph
What calculator are you using? No way you can run 155mph in 1740kg with only 900whp.

Rob

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
ups!! I calculate 1600kg sorry.
Great results !
No worries :) The calculator I use is based on a well setup car, a good 60ft, on a good track with basicly a perfect run, even based on that, 1740kg and 155mph needs 1100whp.

On the same calculator, 155mph is good enough for a 8.8 but its very difficult to get close to the "pefect ET" with a car like this but the MPH is still a definate indication of whp.

I think on a real good track, with a good 60ft (very low 1.4s or just into the 1.3s) and a good clean run it'd be very low 9s or just into the 8s but we arn't going for that.

A 1500kg GTR with 1100whp should be running mid 8s at around 164mph

A 1400kg GTR with 1100whp should be running mid to low 8s at around 168mph

A 1300kg GTR with 1100whp should be running very low 8s at around 172mph

A 1200kg GTR with 1100whp should be running just in the 7s at around 176mph

There's alot of variables but thats a pretty good guide for a good car on a good track.

Rob

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I normally use : ET/MPH From Horsepower Calculators
the difficult part is the 0-60 foot...:D
Yeah thats very unrealistic for anything other than maybe a full tube pro car with a propper race transmission on a real good strip.

The 240s (which has done 7.86 @ 177.4mph) info was put in:

Power to Weight Ratio: 2.01
60 Foot E.T. : 1.02
1/8 Mile E.T. : 4.64
1/8 Mile Trap Speed : 146.61
1/4 Mile E.T. : 7.35
1/4 Mile Trap Speed : 182
1/4 Mile Trap RPM : 9,020

Our best 60ft is 1.25, if we could drop 0.23 off the 60ft that would theroreticly drop the ET by 0.58 bringing out 7.86 to 7.28 which is pretty close to what they say.

The 1/2 track ET above is well off what we've done but the 1/2 track mph is within 2mph so it shows the whp is correct but the chassis needs ALOT of work.

Having seen 2 online calculators in the last 2 days and doing a few scenario's I'm still happy with the one I have, it seems far more realistic.

It would be very interesting to see JBs GTSt info put in there as his 60fts are killer.

Rob

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts