GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a trend for the last few years for car designers, in particualr German brands, to essentially give up trying to style touchscreen displays in cars.

Back in the day you had a single DIN head unit. This slowly became a double DIN unit and screens started to appear. All was well and good. I guess that people wanted to have larger touchscreens because more is better.

At about this point designers seem to have said - "Sod trying to style this screen into the dashboard. I'll just slap the screen on top of the dash so it looks like an iPad in a cheapo mount!"

Now I get that having APPs and suchlike is vital to the purchase of a car nowadays do the general public really want the 'Connectivity Portal' (or whatever they are called now) to look like the owner drove through Halfrauds and bought the first "Super Fast GPS SatNav Navigator Display(tm)" they found?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
To be honest, I can’t see the point of them as I’m too busy concentrating on the road to be able to figure out what they can do. You can be prosecuted for using a mobile phone but not one of these infotainment devices. Seems daft:confused:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
The first Tesla I went in, the one without the cupholders and huge touchscreen in middle needed to drive itself because you'd need to spend half your time staring at the screen to do anything.

They'd be better off getting HUD working well and good choice recognition.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I talk to Google more than my other half in the car these days..

The built in voice recognition in most cars I've been in (certainly mine) is so bad you wonder why they bothered. Totally unusable.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest, I can***8217;t see the point of them as I***8217;m too busy concentrating on the road to be able to figure out what they can do. You can be prosecuted for using a mobile phone but not one of these infotainment devices. Seems daft:confused:
Been in some cars recently where to adjust the blowers you have to use the touchscreen. Have had the getting foggy and I'm fannying about trying to find the setting to get air onto the screen.

Now I'm all for big satnav screens and suchlike but HVAC is a step too far

1 - 9 of 9 Posts