GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, ok, i tested the Toyos 888 2 days at the Ring and two track days here in Brno. I have to say that they feel much better, lot less understear and the whole steering is a bit more responsive, probably due to less weight.

BUT

times are same. I was not faster than with Bridgestones. We also tested side by side with another car with Bridgestones and it was SAME cornering speed. I was not faster at the Ring nor in Brno. Have to say that both tests were done in quite low temps and the Toyos need a lot of heat to work.

fastest car in Brno and Most was alway on stock Dunlops

Conclusion:

I see two possibilities:
1) I'm not good driver enough to get the best from the R888
2) even that they feel better and less understeer they perform very same as stock tires

So for me, my next tire will be the stock Brodgestone or Dunlop. Not the R888 as it performs for me very same, wear quickly and is SUPER NOISY on street and it's risky when the tire goes flat.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Hi Jan, that is very surprising. I thought the R888 "bubble gum" compound would have been a lot stickier.

But it ties in with some early 18" tyre testing before the 20" was made.

You may be right that conditions weren't perfect, but if it was dry, you should certainly have got them up to temperature!

However, I do think it is likely they will last longer than a set of Dunlops on track, particularly as they are not asymmetric so you can pull them off the wheels and put them on the other side.

I had to scrap a completely legal pair of front Dunlops because their shoulders had worn and they had no turn-in and were positively dangerous in the wet.

Plus of course the Dunlops are stupidly expensive.

I will post my Bridgestone v Dunlop review on a separate thread shortly. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David, yes the look like a bubble gum and they feel better, but the side by side compare says different. The facts are not good for the Toyos.

and I don't know how in UK but I have the Bridgestones and Dunlops for the same price ca 1200 GBP per set + VAT

my choice is All season Dunlops for street from September till May and summer Dunlops or Bridges on other wheel set for summer

·
Registered
522 Posts
I will post my Bridgestone v Dunlop review on a separate thread shortly. :thumbsup:
David, I take it you mean the RE070's not the Blizzaks? I look forward to the review!

I must admit I've been impressed with the stock Dunlops but fancied trying the RE070's and and am getting them fitted Saturday arvo on the way back from my Alcon upgrade at Litchfields. I'll switch back in the Spring if it doesnt work out.

I suspect it's not the best time of year to be chopping and changing between 2 summer compounds but I could only find one company that stocked the Dunlop 7010 all season tyres and they were adamant that they could only source the rears which is no good. Bet the 7010's inspire much more confidence in the wet, next year I'm planning on shipping some in from the States unless I find them closer to home.

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
What tyre pressure did you have in the Toyo’s??? I have used them for years on my R33 GTR and find that they are "best" when hot at 30psi. i.e. you may have to start them at around 25psi and then get heat into them. They should certainly be a lot better.

David, re the RE070's I have on my car and to answer a Q from a little while ago. Mine are near the end of life about 0.5mm tread before the legal limit is reached. I drove 150 miles last night in the horrendous weather down the M1, A43, M40, and M4. I was err averaging the motorway limit (ah hem) and to say they reasonably outstanding. As you know I haven’t tried the Dunlop’s as they are price prohibited. I have another set of RE070's which I will use from new and rubber in and then give more details on them. When I was at JPA on sat 31st I started with them at 30psi and after 6 laps they were at 37psi, so again, I think I need to reduce the tyre pressure to stat with.

S

1 - 5 of 5 Posts