GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tire Review - Toyo Releases R-Compound Tire for Nissan GT-R

Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. introduced two new 20-inch sizes in the Toyo Proxes R888, making them the first to offer R-compound tires for the new Nissan GT-R.

Originally previewed at the 2008 SEMA Show in Las Vegas, the 285/35ZR20 (100Y) front and 315/30ZR20 (101Y) rear fitments are now available at authorized Toyo dealers across the United States.

The Nissan GT-R is a limited production, Japanese supercar that boasts 485 all-wheel-drive horsepower. The Proxes R888 competition tire further enhances the track capabilities of this supercar with features such as a continuous center contact for excellent directional control during hard braking. A unidirectional, 6/32nd-inch tread pattern with v-shaped grooves enhances wet traction and control, while a semi-slick shoulder area helps to increase cornering force. The Official Tire of Speed World Challenge, the Proxes R888 can also be shaved for maximum dry-weather performance on race day, according to Toyo.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
err how much ???

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Well, kind of. Shaving tyres is what it says on the tin, removing some of the treaded rubber to get better grip on a new tyre.

·
Registered
565 Posts
There are some concerns over the ability of the tyre walls to sustain the forces generated from high speed cornering.

The question was raised and never really cleared up, i will try and find the post related to it.

Bear in mind the current tyres have a special inner knurled section to help the tyre stay on the rim during cornering.

I love R888's having used them for hundreds of laps round Knockhill in my Scooby but i would need to be convinced that they are up to the task, e.g. much heavier car with a huge difference in energy created during cornering.

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The stock rims fit great. The nurel is not for high speed whatever, its for when a runflat blows they stay on and not fly off. Its safety feature. Don't belive the other myths.

There was high speed testing in america by a pro driver. Randy pabts or someone like that (sp?).
The guy that had his car tested has data and said he will release it when he legaly can.

The tires cost like 390 f and 410 r usd estimated.

Call up sfs for the best prices. If u find annother price see if they can match it. Http://www.speedforsale.com

·
Registered
556 Posts
The stock rims fit great. The nurel is not for high speed whatever, its for when a runflat blows they stay on and not fly off. Its safety feature. Don't belive the other myths.
Fit yes. Recommended...? well...

The point is for the stock tyres, a wider rim is chosen for 285 widths used in the rear. If the same rim could fit 285 and 255, I am pretty sure most car manufacturers would "save" on an added part and just reuse the same rims for front and rear. I recall Amuse got the wider rear rims for the front when they swapped to 285 widths for the front (to reduce understeer).

Most rim manufacturers like Rays (go to rayswheels) show you the rims they have in production and the recommended tyre widths to match a particular size of rims.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Amuse only swapped the rears and fronts. These tires were tested on stock r35 rims on multiple r35's by the same pro driver ... Including a modified r35. They were fitted In prototype form on a couple different aftermarket rims since sema and some other shows.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I was told by Toyo Germany that they come end of the year to europe...:smokin:

·
Registered
565 Posts
See this NAGTROC Link Post no 261

Porsche still contends GT-R 'ring lap times phony - NAGTROC - The Nissan GT-R Owners Club

Not wanting to put the flames out before the fire has really started going BUT..........

The test driver found the balance and handling of the car better on the Stock Dunlops than he did with the R888's

Don't get me wrong i LOVE the Toyo's would only ever put R888's on my RB320 Track Car.

I am still to be convinced they will make a difference, i am sure the feedback of a pro driver is not to be taken lightly.

I am still also searching for a post where there was a genuine concern raised over the suitability of the side wall on the R888's due to excessive cornering G generated by the GTR and nobody could answer it and confirm it had been suitably beefed up in order to cope??

·
Registered
565 Posts
The tires have since been improved and tested after that test above. I'm still waiting for the data and feedback to calm those claims
Excellent to hear, i am sure myself and the rest of the members look forward to seeing this info before we part with our hard earned to buy them.

I love toyo's i just hope they are not rushing these out?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is the Toyo a RFT ?

Because if it's not the case, we may have an issue with our insurrances saying that it's not an homologated tyre for the GTR in case of a claim...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
the toyo is not a runflat and they are lighter by a few lbs. not the lightest tires, but because they had to reinforce the sidewall more im assuming its a bit heavier than a street tire. thats just my guess, i dont know the real answer.

these are used for the track and usually track use is not covered under any insurrances at least in the usa where im from (there are few insurance places that cover track use and they are very expensive).

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm with ScottyB on this. I don't think R888s are anything like an ideal choice for Anything much over 1,000kg. The GTR is almost double that.

They would be an excellent sprinting tyre, but would be good for about 2 laps of an average circuit before overheating, even on the GG compound.

The only possible use for this tyre that I can see is to make the R35 eligible for Time Attack, where the R888 is the control tyre.

I'd like to see some Toyo R8R tyres released for the GT-R though.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Rubbish !!! I have been using Toyo R888's on my heavily modified non stripped out R33 GTR V spec for the last 3 years !! Yes, they "go off" as do all tryes if you push them hard but I get at least 5 hot laps at CC out of them. But like all things you have to sensible and realise that when your brakes, tyres YOU get hot, you need to control the loud pedal a bit more !!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
if someone wants a track tire they will want to purchase 18's and hoosiers or something simular. your going to benifit much more. with these tires your going to have to get a 20" rim or keep swapping tires because these are not made for the street - tho they can be used on the street.

if it didnt rain or snow they would be fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts