GTR Forum banner

TPMS Alarm level?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Largey 
#1 ·
Got in my GTR on Sunday (quite a cold day) and drove about a mile when the low tyre pressure warning came on. Checked the display and had 27psi in three tyres and 26psi in the other. Is it normal for this to go off for a 1psi difference? After driving for about 10-15 minutes the pressures rose up to 30psi all round, so it was a false alarm. This system makes you paranoid that you have a puncture when you don’t.
For interest what pressures do others run their tyres at and do you still use nitrogen? This is for normal road use and before getting them up to temperature.

#4 ·
I believe the low tyre pressure warning comes on when you lose about 3 psi from the stock 29 PSI, on any tyre. It won't be the 1 PSI difference across the tyres that triggered it, it will be the 26 PSI tyre by itself.

Stock size its 29 PSI for OEM, if running larger tyres most seem to run between 31 and 34 PSI depending on setup.

#6 ·
Got in my GTR on Sunday (quite a cold day) and drove about a mile when the low tyre pressure warning came on. Checked the display and had 27psi in three tyres and 26psi in the other. Is it normal for this to go off for a 1psi difference? After driving for about 10-15 minutes the pressures rose up to 30psi all round, so it was a false alarm. This system makes you paranoid that you have a puncture when you don***8217;t.
For interest what pressures do others run their tyres at and do you still use nitrogen? This is for normal road use and before getting them up to temperature.
It's not a differential alarm between the 4 tyres, its a low level alarm (Control systems engineer's hat on !). So if any one tyre is reading below a set limit then the pressure warning will come on. I dont know what that low pressure alarm is set to, but you'd think around 26-27 psi.

As soon as it gets cold, the pressures will drop and you'll get this. So you get your car out of your garage, tool off down the road, and half a mile later the thing pops up. Mine did the same about 2 weeks ago and I was expecting it so I drove a few hundred yards, turned round and was ready to pump them up.

I use 70% nitrogen in my tyres. Pressures will depend on what type of tyre you have. For the Michelin MPSS etc most people set them to around 32-34 when cold.

#9 ·
Quick question - The tyre pressure sensor on the rears actually are reporting for the wrong wheel? Does anyone know if the sensors are fixed or are they attached to the rims themselves? - i had 4 tyres fitted a while ago and wondered if the dealer fitted the wrong tyre on the wrong rim?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.