GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My car is currently at the HPC in Bristol for accident damage repair (thread and photo here) and one of the things they have found is that the TPMS receiver located above the wheel has been crushed*, along with the plug attached to the wiring loom. I actually had no idea each wheel had its own receiver but it seems that way - any ideas why there isn't a single receiver for all wheels?

Anyway, in true main dealer madness they say they cannot replace the crushed plug without replacing the entire wiring loom, presumably meaning that the loom needs to be fed throughout the whole car to each wheel and to the dash somewhere I am guessing. The price? £3k, which includes 10 hours labour. Even if they cannot source the plug separately then surely any sane dealer would take the plug off the new loom and splice it into the old one saving quite a lot of hassle!

I don't really mind how much it costs as the other party's insurers will be paying, but I'm not sure if I should be worried about everything not fitting back together quite as well after they have spent 10 hours stripping the car and feeding the new loom through. Anyone had anything similar?

Cheers,

Alex

[*] if the TPMS receiver is positioned above the centre of the wheel then from looking at the photo I can't see how it was crushed, but still.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hi all,

My car is currently at the HPC in Bristol for accident damage repair (thread and photo here) and one of the things they have found is that the TPMS receiver located above the wheel has been crushed*, along with the plug attached to the wiring loom. I actually had no idea each wheel had its own receiver but it seems that way - any ideas why there isn't a single receiver for all wheels?

Anyway, in true main dealer madness they say they cannot replace the crushed plug without replacing the entire wiring loom, presumably meaning that the loom needs to be fed throughout the whole car to each wheel and to the dash somewhere I am guessing. The price? £3k, which includes 10 hours labour. Even if they cannot source the plug separately then surely any sane dealer would take the plug off the new loom and splice it into the old one saving quite a lot of hassle!

I don't really mind how much it costs as the other party's insurers will be paying, but I'm not sure if I should be worried about everything not fitting back together quite as well after they have spent 10 hours stripping the car and feeding the new loom through. Anyone had anything similar?

Cheers,

Alex

[*] if the TPMS receiver is positioned above the centre of the wheel then from looking at the photo I can't see how it was crushed, but still.
Makes my blood boil!:flame:

W4PED on here had a similar situation with the BCM plug. Main dealer quoted new loom and stupid labour!

Litcho fixed I think in the end.

Probably find this is exactly what the dealer will do but then charge for the whole operation and make a killing on the job!

Stinks of that old "can't do that Sir, Health and Safety of course" or "can't confirm that Sir, Data protection Act", just utter bollocks and the reason we all get ripped to death on insurance renewals.

Ok, rant over, just about anyway:flame::flame::flame:

Hope you get sorted mate.

Satan

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Satan - I'm sure it could be fixed by anyone competent but I'm probably better off keeping quiet and just letting them get on with it I think.

But yes it's all utter bollocks.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Can't see how it was damaged and smells like BS to me.

The receiver is around £200 and I doubt they'd need a whole new loom. Nissan diagrams show that receiver well out the way to.

'G' is the receiver and it's well out the way.

'H' is more likely to have damage and that relates to the body control module. 'I' is to do with the shock absorbers I guess for comfort, normal, race mode etc.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
HPC Bristol are fuggin useless! Why did you take it there? They are taking the piss. Tell them to stick it and get it up to Litchfield.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HPC Bristol are fuggin useless! Why did you take it there? They are taking the piss. Tell them to stick it and get it up to Litchfield.
Not my choice really - it's an insurance job and unless I fancied paying the excess myself I didn't have much choice as to where it went. I'm actually lucky some of the work is being done at an HPC and not some backstreet garage.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I agree with EAndy in that it doesn't sound right.

From memory the Schrader system works on distance to determine which wheel is which i.e. One receiver for all four wheels. I can find out for sure if you need me to as I live near the factory and have friends who work there.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't see how it was damaged and smells like BS to me.

The receiver is around £200 and I doubt they'd need a whole new loom. Nissan diagrams show that receiver well out the way to.

'G' is the receiver and it's well out the way.

'H' is more likely to have damage and that relates to the body control module. 'I' is to do with the shock absorbers I guess for comfort, normal, race mode etc.

Thanks - that's really useful to see actually. I agree it doesn't sound right at all, and I would argue if I was paying (or better still take it to Litchfield's) but as I'm not I might just let them do whatever they need to do to fix it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From memory the Schrader system works on distance to determine which wheel is which i.e. One receiver for all four wheels. I can find out for sure if you need me to as I live near the factory and have friends who work there.
That is interesting. Do you happen to know where the receiver is positioned - i.e. nearside or offside? The damage is to the offside. Clever system to use distance to work out which wheel it is. And thanks for the offer but don't worry - I will let them sort it. But at least it sounds like the loom doesn't need to go throughout the car - possibly just into the dash.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
GlastoVet, I know that HPC's get a slating on the whole, but I've dealt with Wessex Pennywell Rd for the last 14 mnths and I think they're pretty good (as far as any main dealer can be good lol). Having said that, I only use them because of the service plan, when that runs out they are just too expensive to have changing your oil etc at around £155 per hour. I'll give them the chance to price match Litch at the next service tho.

I had a similar sort of pointless job done by them under warranty. Drivers side wiper clunked a little, not interested in repairing it they ordered a whole new mechanism and motor assembly frm Japan and changed the lot.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GlastoVet, I know that HPC's get a slating on the whole, but I've dealt with Wessex Pennywell Rd for the last 14 mnths and I think they're pretty good (as far as any main dealer can be good lol). Having said that, I only use them because of the service plan, when that runs out they are just too expensive to have changing your oil etc at around £155 per hour. I'll give them the chance to price match Litch at the next service tho.

I had a similar sort of pointless job done by them under warranty. Drivers side wiper clunked a little, not interested in repairing it they ordered a whole new mechanism and motor assembly frm Japan and changed the lot.
Cheers Trev - I had just said on another thread actually that I find them very good on the whole. I bought my GT-R from them two years ago along with an 18 month service plan and I've been back there quite a few times for services and warranty work. Wes always seems to be good and pretty thorough. But like you I'll be off to Litchfield for servicing at half the price.

·
Registered
387 Posts
That is interesting. Do you happen to know where the receiver is positioned - i.e. nearside or offside? The damage is to the offside. Clever system to use distance to work out which wheel it is. And thanks for the offer but don't worry - I will let them sort it. But at least it sounds like the loom doesn't need to go throughout the car - possibly just into the dash.
I don't know where it's positioned in the car I'm afraid. It's probably shown somewhere in the service manual but I haven't got it to hand.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's your car, you can have insurance work done where you like!
At risk of sounding like Dean Kenny (sorry Dean!) I've never made an insurance claim before so had no idea what my rights were. My own insurance company told me if I wanted to use my own repairer than I would have to pay the excess, and the other insurance company said I could get my own quotes but they would go with the lowest.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the insurance assessors have been discussing the issue with the HPC and lo and behold they have suddenly decided they can replace the plug on its own without the loom!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts