GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got a link please

Am I right in thinking you just change these when having new tyres (sensors all work ok)

I do have a air loss on one tyre about 1psi per week but no signs of puncture and local tyre garage confirmed tyre was ok would the service pack sort this.

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
I've never used the service pack when fitting new tyres. That's in 5 years and 6 or 7 sets of tyres. You only need that kit if you are completely removing the sensors from the wheel and refitting them.

The metal alloy of the wheels is really easy to deform if you catch a kerb for instance so I'd always rub some washing up liquid on the junction of the tyre and rim to check for leaks.

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Do you spray on or just soak rim with water?
In my experience the best way (and how tyre fitters do it) is to remove the wheel from the car, lay it flat, then rub diluted washing up liquid around the wheel leaving a pool where it meets the tyre. Then wait and see if bubble appear.

·
Registered
60 Posts
look at RL auto or tpms central (google them) they have them indivisually for 1.50 each.. having had a failure at the weekend and a 400 quid bill for a new mpss and sensor its a worth while annual investment

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have 3 out of 4 valves leaking. I was considering buying new TPMS for each wheel but at £40 each plus fitting plus programming it seems a very expensive process. Is this service kit what I should be ordering? Thanks, It means no re-learn which would be very handy as I could get it done at the local tyre place.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I had one that had a hair line crack in the valve end where you screw the cap on. Only noticed it when washing the car as it started bubbling. I would get new valves ASAP if you know there leaking as they could just give way and release all the air. Never fit metal caps also as they can corrode on, and break the valve when trying to get the caps back off.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I had one that had a hair line crack in the valve end where you screw the cap on. Only noticed it when washing the car as it started bubbling. I would get new valves ASAP if you know there leaking as they could just give way and release all the air. Never fit metal caps also as they can corrode on, and break the valve when trying to get the caps back off.
Again, just copper slip the thread and metal caps are no problem. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts