GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a small track day on Wed with Link/NZEFI for their Christmas party, and took the GTR out for its first go with the new motor etc, was crazy fast (race cars were quicker around the corners, but prob the fastest thing in a straight line there)

However after the third bunch of laps I did, the transmission started screaming, I thought it might have been the gearbox overheating, but as I was driving away the noise was there, and I pushed the 2wd button on the ETS-Pro controller and the noise completely went away.....so we are in 2wd for now!

Question is, do you think it was temp related that caused it to shit itself, or is it I that I had big slick tyres on and the ETS-Pro dialed up too high (was on about half)
I see that the N1 spec R32 comes with a transfer case cooler, I have next to all the parts to do this (bought a cooler set of a UK spec R34)

Thoughts?:popcorn:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I gather, it still sends drive to the front only when needed like the factory system, and you have a dial to input how much "gain" you want. You can take it out of Auto and then in Manual it is locked in 4x4 with the split determined by the dial.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Do you know how much actual 4WD you have when driving? Gauge etc?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, haven't got a pressure sensor hooked up yet, the dash is able to display it when I do.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I know it early days, but do you think the oil strainer block?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
you will probably need the transfer case extension like I have. holds another couple of litres of oil and is needed for heavy track work.

as said, in auto, it only transfers up to the front as it exits corners etc.

however if the oil in your transfer case is either old, or too low this will quickly overheat and wreck it.

get the extension and run new race spec LSD fluids.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you will probably need the transfer case extension like I have. holds another couple of litres of oil and is needed for heavy track work.

as said, in auto, it only transfers up to the front as it exits corners etc.

however if the oil in your transfer case is either old, or too low this will quickly overheat and wreck it.

get the extension and run new race spec LSD fluids.
Who makes the extension?
Would I get similar results from running an oil cooler and pump, or not worth it?

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
If over temp is a issue, deffo run a pump/cooler.

Larger capacity sump will mean the oil takes longer to reach its optimum working temperature and still overheat through prolonged usage.

If you have the kit, and a thermostatic switch then you have a solution.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know it early days, but do you think the oil strainer block?
I haven't had a look at it yet, I'm guessing I've cooked the plates

If over temp is a issue, deffo run a pump/cooler.

Larger capacity sump will mean the oil takes longer to reach its optimum working temperature and still overheat through prolonged usage.

If you have the kit, and a thermostatic switch then you have a solution.
Cheers, yeah I think I have all the parts, just have to make the mount for the cooler and the pump. I will also add a temp sensor to it.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
well I have a kit that I could sell you, but it does need some modifications to the transfer case to accept the fittings and is a bit "cumbersome" to say the least.

then you have to decide whether it is auto, manual or thermostatically monitored and controlled (which to me was hassle) and then figure out, how to control it as a stand alone or integrated system of the cars existing electronics. well beyond me and defiantely expensive to get done.

not wanting to disagree with R32 comabat here at all...

but, with regards to the extension, it was by FAR the easiest solution.

with regards to temps, it only take approx. 2 laps to warm it up.

I have raced/tracked this car at full chat continuously for 20 mins and more, on many, many occasions, without any issue at all... albeit in switchable and NOT permanent 4 wheel drive.

trust me, the extra oil and extended "pan" makes a real difference. these were used on the R32 race cars doing extended races in the 90`s.

I think it is made by Trust. although I am sure HKS make one as well. I will check the make of mine for you. it is a straight bolt on fitment with no mods required.

with regards "wreck it".. it is just alike any LSD (depending on which type you have) either the bearings or the plates fail due to excessive friction.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
forgot to say...

the extension is alloy and finned for better cooling. I will try to upload a pic.

just checked, it is made by TRUST.

anothe well worth while mod for track cars, is a power steering cooler, but that's for another thread - lol...

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well I have a kit that I could sell you, but it does need some modifications to the transfer case to accept the fittings and is a bit "cumbersome" to say the least.

then you have to decide whether it is auto, manual or thermostatically monitored and controlled (which to me was hassle) and then figure out, how to control it as a stand alone or integrated system of the cars existing electronics. well beyond me and defiantely expensive to get done.

not wanting to disagree with R32 comabat here at all...

but, with regards to the extension, it was by FAR the easiest solution.

with regards to temps, it only take approx. 2 laps to warm it up.

I have raced/tracked this car at full chat continuously for 20 mins and more, on many, many occasions, without any issue at all... albeit in switchable and NOT permanent 4 wheel drive.

trust me, the extra oil and extended "pan" makes a real difference. these were used on the R32 race cars doing extended races in the 90`s.

I think it is made by Trust. although I am sure HKS make one as well. I will check the make of mine for you. it is a straight bolt on fitment with no mods required.

with regards "wreck it".. it is just alike any LSD (depending on which type you have) either the bearings or the plates fail due to excessive friction.
Cheers, yeah I wondered about just having the pump on a switch that I could just turn it on if I was tracking the car, with most of the time switched off?

I had a quick look for extensions, and the only ones I can see is for the front and rear diffs, haven't seen anything for the transfer case, so if you could get a pic of it at some stage that would be great.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
What about the N01 plates from RK Tuning.

Used in Darren Bly's 700bhp R32 which ran permanent front torque split in races (sprints, but prob getting on for 20 mins). They don't have stick on friction material that comes off.

Maybe have a chat with Ron?

Andy - fitted the N01 pack & combined with your Fusion controller, should be good, but won't get car back for a while yet :(

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
yep, Darrens set up is also an option to consider, but again a lot more expensive than an extension and you may still need a cooler.

Neilo`s set up is also an option. again makes it permanent 4 wheel drive, but once again, a lot more expensive than the extension.

IIRC correctly the clutch pack was £1,200 without the cooler.

the Trust extension was circa 300euros. rare as hens teeth, but a great mod. maybe it could be copied.??

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Fixed torque split shouldn't be expensive to do, just some plumbing and a big master cylinder with a pressure gauge fitted, then add a knob on the end of some threaded bar to set the pressure - maybe even a ratcheting hydro handrake would do it?

Of course that would make the heat more of an issue not less.

Nick, is that £1200 for a stock transfer case clutch pack or the NT01 version?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nah, not interested in having it fixed torque split, just want the thing reliable if I have the controller up highish.
Might look at the upgraded plates, I might just buy a cheap gearbox and Rob the transfer case off it to get mine going in the mean time, and then look at beefing up the broken one.
I'm guessing I haven't broken the chain in there, more likely just cooked the plates.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts