GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you might know from my other thread I've just bought the GT-R and got it tuned to stage 1 right away. It's an absolutely amazing car, so much more planted than anything I've driven. I've not done much track driving before and am planning to go to the ring some time this year -which is a childhood dream.

This has made me think that I should get to know the car a bit better under controlled conditions. I'd like to do that at a track with an instructor who's familiar with GT-R's. Does anyone have a good recommendation?

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
CATDT, on here as a forum trader, no question the best money you can spend.

·
Registered
818 Posts
What about BarryP?

Instructor and owner, or contact nurburgringgtr and get him to put you in contact with Jake Hill?
I would say yes, to Barry or Jake, once a basic grounding in the capabilities of the car are there! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Book yourself on the Silverstone track day and get a slot with Jake Hill.
Failing that, CATDT training was probably the best money I've ever spent in terms of improving performance.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Book yourself on the Silverstone track day and get a slot with Jake Hill.
Failing that, CATDT training was probably the best money I've ever spent in terms of improving performance.
Jake is very good.... been out with him at Silverstone

·
Vendor
1,684 Posts
Hi Fred11

There's a place left on this group training day if you would like to meet fellow owners whilst developing your knowledge:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/233434-group-performance-driver-track-day-monday-14th-april-2014-a.html

or there's always the option of 1-2-1 training.

We've worked with over 240 fellow GTR owners and Chief Instructor used to work at Nissan as their Driver Trainer - so you're certainly ticking the box for your "familiar with GT-R's" objective.

You're welcome to call, live chat, email or PM for any more information.

Jo
[email protected]
01234 757633

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jo, this sounds absolutely perfect! Sign me up :)

Hi Fred11

There's a place left on this group training day if you would like to meet fellow owners whilst developing your knowledge:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/233434-group-performance-driver-track-day-monday-14th-april-2014-a.html

or there's always the option of 1-2-1 training.

We've worked with over 240 fellow GTR owners and Chief Instructor used to work at Nissan as their Driver Trainer - so you're certainly ticking the box for your "familiar with GT-R's" objective.

You're welcome to call, live chat, email or PM for any more information.

Jo
[email protected]
01234 757633

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Hi Fred,

I am also on the same course - my first track event EVER!!! :)

Hoping to get comfortable with the limits of my car, as I regularly find myself 'backing out' or lifting off in certain tight situations as I don't know just how far I should push it - or how the car will react! Hoping CATDT solve this problem.

My question to all the trackday veterens is -

What checks must I do before the trackday?

What needs to be checked/replaced after the trackday???

My car has just been serviced by SVM last week. I've read somewhere before that you MUST change your oils after each trackday??? Not sure how true that is!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I've read somewhere before that you MUST change your oils after each trackday??? Not sure how true that is!
It's advised if the oil temps go past 120c regular on track and supposed to be immediate if temps pass 140c.

So really it depends on the temps the car reaches in regards to that.

1) Transmission Oil replacement

‘Normal operating’ transmission oil temperature upper level to a maximum of 120'C
'Hot usage' (extreme driving conditions), where the transmission oil has exceeded 120'C will need changing within 3000 miles of running at this higher temperature.
Previously it used to be 110c and 130c for the parameters but this was amended later on.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
This course isn't that hard on the cars, my car did the same course twice in one day with no silly oil temperature readings. The course is aimed more at the driver than the car.

If your car has just been serviced it will be fine, just make sure your tyres and brakes are in good condition.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Kourosh Khani also does tuition he is a member on this forum.

Best to use someone who has proven motorsport experience as with Johny or similar also it is better to get 3-4 tuition sessions than to buy a turbo or blowing thousands on a 1000 bhp upgrade. Power and more of it does not make you quicker around a track. A decent driver with a car with moderate 550 to 650bhp will destroy a mediocre one around a track with 1000bhp+ car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts