GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sprint at Castle Comb on Saturday, so as it's a Year since I drove there decided to do a track day to remind the car of the way round.

The nearest one to the date I could find was Today so went for that. Turned out to be mainly a Corporate day with just 4 Caterham's on track and me, so ideal as there was more than enough track time.

Of course the weather forecast was not good, the heavens opening as I arrived. Anyway after the briefing I went out and did a couple of sessions, getting through half a tank of petrol, before they closed the track because there was too much standing water.

Have to say that the 888 were still very good as long as you avoided the biggest of the puddles, and it was amusing to see the Caterham's disappearing in the plume of spray courtesy of the newly fitted Difflow diffuser. :)

Anyway I digress. As the track began to dry out in the Afternoon I decided to have a session with an instructor to pick up a few pointers for Saturday. I warned Her that as a Sprinter I had to be full on it from the off as we only get one lap, and know from past experience that instructors are not very keen on this...

I got a look that confirmed this and out we went. Well after two, very silent laps, where I thought I was doing OK, She demanded that we return to the Pits. She was obviously not happy...

We pulled up, removed helmets, and She declared that if I continued to drive like that we were going to Die. Now I know near to Death, close to Death and very severe trouser soiling moments from previous cars, but not the GT-R. Yes there had been the usual clunks and twitches, back going out and being hauled in by the electronics moments, as I had the traction in Race, but nothing that I would of vaguely described as even slightly bum clenching.

Anyway it turned out that was the problem. I was relying on the electronics... Surely that is what they are for I said? But what if they were to fail, She said. I said, I always drive like this, and it's been fine for the last 4 years. You are defying gravity she said.

Now I thought about saying it's a GT-R, but restrained myself, and instead offered to go out with the ESP Off. This offer was politely declined, I apologised, and we parted company...

Anyway I then did a couple of sessions on the now nearly dry track with the Traction Control Off and have to say that other than the lack of intrusion on the driving things did not seem that different. This I have to say was the first time I have driven with the TC off for a significant period of time, so I have after all learnt something Today.... :chuckle:

Rich

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Being a road car they don't expect it.

At Brands I was told "Bloody hell, calm down. It's like a time attack car."

On my first visit to Silverstone the guy was getting me to brake to early and when I late braked (as I pretty much always do) he was shouting "brake, brake!" At me so I pull in to show him the Alcon Super Kit.

Next time at Silverstone I bumped into him and was introduced to another instructor as "the driver of the mad yellow beast".

Thing is, they teach in many different cars, but the R35 just does things it shouldn't be able to do for a car of it's size and mass.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good to see you today. As a former GTR owner was nice to see your immaculate car racing dound today. To me you looked fully in control! Good luck for Sat. P.s i was the M5 driver....

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If you want an instructor again, maybe give Barry P. a shout on here. As a GTR owner, I'm sure he will fully understand the car :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Dont worry about it.

Half the cocks they have at circuits cant drive a wet stick up a dogs arse !!!

Back in the Formula Woman days I got Karen to do a couple of training days and almost immediately they had the "girl going fast" syndrome and couldn't figure it out. Second session she had one of the caterham boys at Silverstone demand she return to the pits as he had started to feel sick, next one went out and was egging her on and told her the other bloke was obviously just a retard !!

Look at Time Attack and some of the "name" drivers - dont hold a candle to Gareth Lloyd most of em and he is basically a knackered twiglet !!

:D :D :D

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Depends on your instructor. What they are used to driving and how much they have pushed the cars they have driven and know what its capable of doing. One thing for sure. Sitting in the passenger seat of a GTR driven reasonably fast can be scary to the uninitiated lol!

Once you find an instructor who knows the car and can assess the drivers skill more than getting too worried about a little sliding it way more enjoyable!

To be fair. These people take major risk sitting in a car going fast with people who they don't know, can't blame them too much for being uncomfortable with some drivers.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes to be honest I would not want to be a passenger in my car.;) and it was a little unfair to get straight on it rather than build up the speed, but what can you do in 20 mins?

Also after a Day of getting soaked in a Caterham doing half the speed it must have seemed very fast. She was however pushing her foot to the floor a good 150Yds early at Camp Corner....

It was an interesting reminder that the GT-R is something special and can indeed "Defy Gravity". I could keep up with the Caterhams on the cool down laps in 5th Gear without using the brakes at all.

Hi to SBR, you need to get back in a GT-R. :D

Rich

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
Totally agree as it can be scary and dangerous.

From a purely personal perspective, Sean Edwards, rest in peace my friend.

Depends on your instructor. What they are used to driving and how much they have pushed the cars they have driven and know what its capable of doing. One thing for sure. Sitting in the passenger seat of a GTR driven reasonably fast can be scary to the uninitiated lol!

Once you find an instructor who knows the car and can assess the drivers skill more than getting too worried about a little sliding it way more enjoyable!

To be fair. These people take major risk sitting in a car going fast with people who they don't know, can't blame them too much for being uncomfortable with some drivers.

·
Registered
862 Posts

sounds like a man who knows what he i talking about:smokin:...unlike the rest:blahblah:

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Have a read of this point of view following Sean's tragic death earlier this week. Might give you a different perspective.

Jo
Thanks for that link Jo, a very thought provoking and sensitive perception of the type of work instructors have to face on a regular basis.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK I am feeling pretty sick about starting this thread, although at the time I knew nothing about Sean Edwards tragic accident.

My sincere apologies to all instructors who risk their lives in order that we might benefit from their expertise. My sincere condolences to Sean's Family, a rising star lost in extremely unfortunate circumstances...

Rich

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
combe is pretty clicky most of the guys i coach no longer go there due to how poorly its run, the lack of safety and lack of run off ,i still have a major soft spot for it tho
Bolux !!! Combe is fun and as a real drivers circuit as it keep you tight with your lines and breaking cos if you get it wrong there ain't any kitty litter or a lawn to plough into !!

You need to go out with Dave de Costa in a Caterham, that is scary !!!

However, you did metion that the instructor was a SHE :chuckle:

·
Administrator
31,748 Posts
OK I am feeling pretty sick about starting this thread, although at the time I knew nothing about Sean Edwards tragic accident.

My sincere apologies to all instructors who risk their lives in order that we might benefit from their expertise. My sincere condolences to Sean's Family, a rising star lost in extremely unfortunate circumstances...

Rich
Hi Rich,
To be honest I think your post is brilliant, because it sparks debate and gives perspective. I didn't know the circumstances of Sean's death and I'd assumed it was during testing of the car. Knowing it was driver training gives a fresh perspective and your post just highlights how things are on both sides of the coin. Don't feel sick, I think you've helped a lot of people think good and hard before taking a passenger/instructor out at 10 tenths.

Mook

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
I think Seans death is a tragic waste

And I have the utmost respect for ANY instructors involved with things travelling at speed quicker than you can run - boats, planes, helicopters, cars etc - even your standard road instructor has a fair bit to put up with on a regular basis.

Holwever that doesnt change debate, nor should it preclude a topic during a time of tragedy, if anything thats as good a time as any as it helps get lots of opinions out and perhaps lets others insights lay light on an issue that has briefly become a headline that might otherwise go on in the background.

All that being equal it still requires a certain kind of person to do it and for me it appears that some are definitely more capable in both driving themselves and in imparting that knowledge or recognising what is wrong and needs addressing - no point cooking as well as Gordon Ramsey if you dont notice your trainee is mixing soap suds instead of caster sugar into the cupcakes !!

I can appreciate that alot of people who go to trackdays for a bit of fun or some training are bimbles and not hardened track slaaags like Steve and beut (lol) but that shouldnt be hard to spot and the instructor change tack as relevent.

J.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts