GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well here we go again! Two track days to choose from this time, Brands Hatch on 12th December and a 'special' day for us at Wroughton airfield if we want it.

The day at Brands is an ordinary ET track day which is normally £149 but they will offer us 10% discount if we can a few together. Details can be found at www.easytrack.co.uk under the 'events' section. If you are interested in this day, let me know and I'll let ET know who you are so that you get the discount which isn't much but....

The day at Wroughton would comprise use of the runway mainly although there is the opportunity to make a small (1 mile) circuit but only for 2 or 3 cars at a time. The runway is not flat, similar to Kemble I'm told, but ET will allow head to heads. The total cost for the 'day', which will be 10 thru' 3, will be around £1,200. Possible dates are 7th or 14th December. This one, if it happens, has to be this year as Wroughton are stopping driving there in the new year. Wroughton is 5 minutes south from J15 or J16 on the M4.

Let me know if you're interested in either?

Peter.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Hi Pete,

As you know I'm up for both. Put me on the list.

I've done wroughton before and the track is mainly runway as opposed to Kemble! There is a big wide open right hander at the bottom which can be taken flat in a Skyline which is an indicated 140 plus when you turn in. The car then scrubs off a bit of speed even though you are full throttle due to understeer. (I had a 32 at the time running 360bhp)

Jamie M
:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Wroughton

I rather like this circuit ... it's on the www.gtr.co.uk website and we've been there loads.. I even managed to get a F355 doing 3x360 at Jamie's bend .. we were doing over 150 in the wet though :( but it proves that there's nothing to hit :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think you mite have my Name on the list but if not put me down!!

·
Banned
349 Posts
Joss,

Does running along with a scale model of your old car spinning it in circle count?:D :D :D

Only kidding!!!!:smokin:

So massive 360's all round it is then:smokin:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Track Days

Hi Peter.

You never seem to get tired of arranging good days out for ALL of us.

We appreciate it.........Thanks........

It just an idea but why not both??/:D :D

Cheers

Paul............

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'd like to have a go.

I've never raced off the road before I'll probably come in last.

Weston

Ps I keep seeing requests for slicks do I need one ?

·
Banned
349 Posts
Hi Weston,

Slicks are just a personal choice. They give about 20 to 25% more grip over road tyres and save you wearing out expensive road tyres on the track.

If it's your first time you won't need them. See if you like it first - which I guarantee you will!

Anyway 12th dec it will probably be raining anyway.

Regards

Jamie.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Jamie

Does running along with a scale model of your old car spinning it in circle count?
If you are about 8 it definitely does count :) . But as I'm a bit older than that and I've flogegd it, I'll have to use F355 Challenge on the Dreamcast now .. or go out with David Yu to the shops(who was in the car when I span it :)

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Weston (& anybody else),

Are you interested in both days or just one? The Brands day will happen as it's a pre-organised event by EasyTrack with 60 cars maximum of all different makes. It will be a 3 x 20 minute session day with 20 cars out at a time although in reality there are never all 20 out in each session. 20 cars on the Indy circuit sounds a lot but it's OK.

Wroughton may not happen as there has been very little interest shown for that so far.

As Miss Martin says, slicks aren't a necessity. I've done over a dozen days so far without slicks (although I may be getting some soon).

I need definite numbers soon for Brands soon as these type of events tend to fill up fairly quickly as the date approaches. It's £135 for the day which is 10% off the standard price.

Oh, btw, it's not racing... :)

Peter.

[email protected]

PS. Paul,

No problem. The intention was to do both but.....

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't mind which or both count me in I'm not serious about the slicks just yet this will be my first track day..

I don't think i need anymore grip anyway (joke) but I have bought new bridgestones as recomended by Jamie but i still slide a bit & I dont know why.

Weston:confused:

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Weston,

Jamie will point you in the right direction at Brands. What pressures have you got in your tyres?

Peter.

Current position:

Brands 7 or 8, Wroughton 4 or 5.

The sessions at Brands are are grouped so if you've never driven a 'proper' circuit before, you can go into the 'novices' group if you wish. There's no pressure on these days to push yourself further than you are happy to go.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
track days

my engine for my new car is getting built at the moment and i was told to fit the trust sump kit because if i was going to do any trackdays it is a must.
on road tyres with std sump i had the oil level about 5mm over the max mark on dipstick. but i was told if i ever planed to do track days with slicks i was told to get sump kit fitted. because without it
on this would not be safe.because with slicks the oil gets pushed up the sides of your engine more than normal that is because of the extra grip you will have with the slicks,then the pick up pipe has no oil to get to your crank shaft.if this happens you will have conrod big end failure. then thats a very very big bill to sort it again. the std sump 4L, trust kit 7L.

the trust sump kit is £349 from tim at SVS
if you do a few track days get one it will save you more money
than what you will have to spend to sort your engine
because you will need a new crank.rods,bearings,maybe pistons,
and many hours labour.

something to think about boys

keith

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sump kit.

Keith,

I guess your point is quite valid however, as you know, it's not a simple job to do as the engine needs to come out to fit it so the cost of £349 soon escalates to a much greater sum....

I suppose it depends how often one intends to do track work and upon your driving style also. Perhaps I should be fitting a sump kit instead of buying your rims to put slicks on then? :)

Peter.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
track day

hi peter yes the kit costs £349 and plus labour to fit it but the final
bill, will be nothing like what you will have to spend if your engine goes BANG

you could be 3 or 4 times more to sort your engine if it is bad.

keith

·
Registered
9 Posts
Newcomer!

Peter

Firstly, Thanks for organising Kemble and allowing some non-Nissans in - even 2wd old-technology plastic cars like mine! Blame Scott for inviting me and John with the 'sparking' Integrale.

Despite the problems it was a good day, and if you're wondering, it was me who caught up with "A2 PSE" on the M25 on the way home and reminded me how a Skyline can accelerate.

It was my first airfield day and I do prefer proper tracks - cleaner, better corners, less bumpy, more marshalls etc. For that reason I am interested in doing Brands Hatch, especially as it's my local track.

See you next time at the Grasshopper.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Dan,

That'll be me then! As you say, Brands is a 'proper' circuit and fun to drive.

I'll pm you with the details.

Cheers.

Peter.

PS. I can remember a TVR on the way home but can't remember any action as it was so busy... Did I blow you away by any chance? :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Peter

It was getting dark as I caught you up in traffic. I managed to weave my way through and follow for a while. Then, just before your exit you seemed to go a lot quicker.... I don't think you were in 5th at the time, I was and no, I couldn't keep up.

I was glad to find that I wasn't slower than the average at Kemble. I'd have liked to do some accelerations on the runway to check out the straight-line speed differences. It's a shame I never mastered the 'Tiff Needell' way of going round corners. I hope my attempts gave the spectators a laugh instead. ;)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts