GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys ive got to get this off my chest , firstly i see so mant people on here who have r34 gtr's and track day them like mad , i to do love a track day been to a couple in previous cars(i had a subaru wrx , took that to brands hatch , and i had the bmw z3 m coupe which i took to the ring and also got to do a 20 min track session at the f1 circut ) .but in the skyline in terrfied:nervous:
i really would love to get the most out of my gtr but im scared of either crashing it myself or someone crashing into me , i would be so heart broken and upset if anything happened to it ,

also i get the red mist when driving it and want to go mad but cant as im on public roads , is there anywhere that dose track days for beginners or anything?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I know its not a trackday as such but i cant recommend enough going on a day with the CATDT peeps. Lets you explore the limits of your driving and your car with the added bonus of amazing tuition. Best thing i have ever done.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was looking at them but bloody hell they are pricey , is it really that good?. considering a track day is alot cheeper ,

not wrote off the catdt idea just will take ages to save up

·
Registered
206 Posts
Staying calm and not losing your head if you get overtaken by a much slower car on paper.
Oh and not pushing it right to the limit until you know what the limit is and have the experience to take it there without dying :p

The ring does scare me though. I'm not going there in the GTR

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Chris, and everyone who has commented - I'm pleased that this topic has come up.

We have plans well underway for a series of dedicated GTROC track based tutition days, throughout next year which will include one to one tuition from an experienced current race driver / instructor we have been speaking to recently.

The plan is for the track day to include detailed classroom briefings / de-briefings throughout the day with individual driving assessments using in car video cameras.

The emphasis of these days will be to undo self taught bad habits and get everyone aproaching, turning in, braking etc.. correctly and specifically how this should be done in a GTR with confidence. There will be plenty of run-off and this should be exactly what your looking for.

We will announce dates during January. These days will supplement and in no way replace the CATDT sessions but will be priced competitively for a small group somewhere between a standard track day and the CATDT sessions pricing.

More to follow in the New Year

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
i was looking at them but bloody hell they are pricey , is it really that good?. considering a track day is alot cheeper ,

not wrote off the catdt idea just will take ages to save up
Seriously Chris, it really is THAT good, i came away amazed of what the car can do. Went round the alpine circuit with Nick and on the 5th time i though it was right on the limits of the car. Nick said it was maybe 2 out of 5 speed wise!!! :D Finding grip limit, oversteer, understeer, rapid lane changes, high speed bowl, alpine circuit, handling circuit, threshold braking, mile straight, I'd have paid 3 times what i did for that experience.

I learnt more about the car and my driving style/ability in one day than using it as a daily for 10 months. You really dont have the room for that on the roads, as i'm sure you know.

I can see why Shane spent lots of time with Colin to improve for Time Attack and the results speak for themselves!!

Unreal mate.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seriously Chris, it really is THAT good, i came away amazed of what the car can do. Went round the alpine circuit with Nick and on the 5th time i though it was right on the limits of the car. Nick said it was maybe 2 out of 5 speed wise!!! :D Finding grip limit, oversteer, understeer, rapid lane changes, high speed bowl, alpine circuit, handling circuit, threshold braking, mile straight, I'd have paid 3 times what i did for that experience.

I learnt more about the car and my driving style/ability in one day than using it as a daily for 10 months. You really dont have the room for that on the roads, as i'm sure you know.

I can see why Shane spent lots of time with Colin to improve for Time Attack and the results speak for themselves!!

Unreal mate.
ok mate nice one , was just looking at they're site , the track looks amazing, i think i will save and give it a go as well as what mr blue 34 is also planning:thumbsup::thumbsup:

thanks very much guys

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do they give you a helmet when your doing all this stuff ? and also im looking at helmets on ebay , what sort open faced or stig style ,? dose it matter ?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if you are going to use it for any MSA events make sure it has all the right safety standards for 2010.

If its just for fun, i'd say full face. More of your face is protected...
sorry to be dumb , whats an msa event>?

and if it is full face dose it matter if its a bike one or are they the same?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'd say go with an open face, if you go with full face make sure it's a lightweight one.

I did a few track days with my Simpson Bandit and you'll know about it the next day as your head isn't leaning naturally into the direction of turn like on a bike so your neck muscles will ache the following day!!

With regards to blowing up, make sure if you don't have an extended sump/baffle that you top the oil up to max, they do suffer from oil surge.

Finally, they are bloody expensive to repair if you do stuff it!! (It's cheaper to buy a 32 for dedicated track use ;) )

Enjoy...

Nito

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
I'm my personal experience i did a track day or two before i went on a CATD driver training day with the GTROC, all i can say is i know it's not cheep but it'll be the best money you'll spend to progress your driving more safley and quickly round any track you go on.

I'd say get 5 of you together and book a group day with Colin at Millbrook then get yourself on track somewhere a couple of times, once your hooked try and book Colin in for half or a days one to one tuition after that you'll definitly notice the differece.

Neil

1 - 20 of 22 Posts