GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Cool picture!

Im looking forward to taking the r33 for a few track days this summer, do you recommend getting an intercooler and remote oil cooler fitted or will the standard set-up be enough???

Cheers

Sev

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
lol chris, if you drove the R33 anything like the way you drove your red supra at Wroughton track back in late 99 then im not surprised:D

I remember your were flying that day and beating a few high powered skylines too!!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big Sev said:
Cool picture!

Im looking forward to taking the r33 for a few track days this summer, do you recommend getting an intercooler and remote oil cooler fitted or will the standard set-up be enough???

Cheers

Sev
Well, the RB25 engine in that is mildly tuned, and its 34 row cooler (on -12 pipework) is barely adequate, for the serious RB26 that's going in it soon I expect it to need a 45 row. So yes, a track driven one, pedalled hard, NEEDS a decent (30 row plus) cooler, even more so if it's a GTR as the front diff adds greatly to the sump oil temps, and they hold bugger all oil to start with. I/C should be fine if the engine's stock. The engine in mine is on an RX-6 Apexi turbo, remote `gate and cast iron manifold, bigger injectors (RX7 ones), Power FC, Apexi cams, decent rod bolts, dropped CR, totally stock (bar rod bolts) bottom end, and highly modded oil breather system. the main problem with track driven GTS / GTR is oil accumulating in the head, and either starving the bearings through surge, or venting out the breathers. I spent a LOT of time and money sorting it. I am tempted to dry sump the RB26, with a scavenge from the head itself, and be done with it. Absolutely appalling head drain back design, one of the engines weaknesses, IMO.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yunis A said:
lol chris, if you drove the R33 anything like the way you drove your red supra at Wroughton track back in late 99 then im not surprised:D

I remember your were flying that day and beating a few high powered skylines too!!
Was it that long ago? Well, I'm 51 now, so not as sharp as i was, but I still enjoy pedalling as fast as I can, and intend to run one of my Zeus race cars this year, competitively. I only just remeber Wroughton, but I do recall my (stock) Supra TT annoying the hell out of people on a Porsche Owners Club track day at Oulton, in the *issing rain, especially when the found it was an auto.... ;)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Chris,

Lots of people have found AP Racing brakes do tend to crack discs under hard use, including manufacturers such as Jaguar in testing, etc.

Brembo tend to be a better brand for reliability. I swapped from AP to Brembo on my RX-7 and the cracking problem's gone! Strange, eh!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pavlo said:
Speak directly to AP about the cracking discs, my bet is that they will replace them FOC.

It's just normal heat cracking, nothing I can object to. The AP 365 mm discs on my GTR used to do only 2 track days, as it was a lot heavier, and much harder to efficiently duct air to the discs.

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
Chris Wilson said:
I am trying to get weight OUT of it, not nail unneccessary bits on :)
think of the areo dynamic gains :D

I'll do you a set in carbon if you like.

(probably wouldn't weigh much less than the GRP ones but you could tell people they did ;) )

Simon

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
Chris Wilson said:
It's just normal heat cracking, nothing I can object to. The AP 365 mm discs on my GTR used to do only 2 track days, as it was a lot heavier, and much harder to efficiently duct air to the discs.
do you have any brake ducting on the GTS?

Simon

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
I was at Anglesey this weekend watching Mr Wilson, yes he is fast.:D
Lapping cars like mad, and my hubby couldn't get a photo of him on the straight as he kept going out of shutter too quick:smokin:
T

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have used it in anger :) yes. It works fine, but I have a better system in plan for the new engine. To do it to this one would have involved removing the engine, and then the head, for machining work. I intend to sell a set up in due course, to help offset development costs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts