GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get more into track days, done two but have mates that do them regularly. I mentioned the prices of exhausts for the gtr and he commented that he bought his Clio 172 for less than an exhaust lol

Got me thinking, I will do some track days in the gtr, but as a more regular thing is it maybe better to buy a cheap 2k toy, I will always worry about bumping the gtr on track.

Anyone else faced such thoughts?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I own a share in a e46 m3 track car at the ring, it makes a lot of sense to have a track toy. Maybe it's just me but I properly hoon the m, where as taking the GT-R round is great fun I'm always mindful as it's my pride and joy. This maybe the wrong philosophy but it's just a personal opinion.

Invest in driver training for the GT-R to get the most out of it a keep it special and buy a cheap track toy which if the worst should happen you can replace.

That way you get the best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty much what I was thinking. The toy will also help my driving ability for when I do track the gtr

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
You don't need the fastest thing to have fun.
(as I have proved)

But you do to go round at warp speed and overtake everyone.

What's important?

Still do a few tracks days in the GT-R though, they come alive on track. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
You don't need the fastest thing to have fun.
(as I have proved)

But you do to go round at warp speed and overtake everyone.

What's important?

Still do a few tracks days in the GT-R though, they come alive on track. :)
What he said ;)

·
Registered
907 Posts
On the plus side if you wrecked a 3-4k car it would be no where near as bad as 50k+ car and a dam sight cheaper to replace.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
If your budget is only 2k then it depends on how honest you are with yourself.

If you truly are just doing it for fun and wont instantly get frustrated that pals have much faster kit and leave you for dead then get a cheap hoon about. If they are all rocking M3's and similar 300bhp+ machinery round tracks like Donington or Silverstone then you are pretty soon gonna get ballache if you are competitive and wanna keep up to have the shared fun if in a 150bhp clio/golf/pug etc.

Last time I had a decent road car was the GT3 which wasn't that quick on road but was epic on track and immediately begs you to wring its neck, but there was a little thought (usually after taking off the helmet) that this is a 50k car waiting to enter the Stuttgart Cemetry backwards, in several bits !! lol

Its not a feeling I get in my track car which has probably also had the thick end of 50k invested in it over the years, but incrementally and therefore never makes you think "You gonna really suffer if you bin this" and as such its a more liberating experience. The fact that its considerably quicker than the porker probably also helps keep the mind focussed on driving rather than crashing !!! Only time I got sad was when I thought I was going to watch it burn to a crisp, but the marshals put it out quick and all was good after a day at the workshop with the guys, I'd have been a headless chicken if that was the GTR or GT3 !!

:D :D

E36 M3 would be my weapon of choice for sub 5k trackfun

J.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I have just bought a 350z for this exact reason... I want to do more tracks days and learn more car control, but fancy the bills of the GTR, let alone if something goes drastically wrong.

So the 350z will be stripped, caged and safety kitted for track days. Then in a few years, maybe the GTR will take its place.

Manual and RWD is also a little more fun, so a different type of drive for track days.... GTR will still go out for days, but not as often as the 350z

·
Registered
634 Posts
I really fancy giving rallycross a go after a watching Top Gear repeat. You could tell they genuinely thought it was amazing and CHEAP!!

Anyone up for it?

·
Registered
462 Posts
track day

Im down Llandow saurday if its not raining come and have a sit in with my son, it will put a different perspective on handling:popcorn:

·
Administrator
31,760 Posts
I had as much fun into Metro on track as I've ever had in the GTR. Can't beat a track toy.

·
Registered
897 Posts
All depends on how much you can justify spending on a toy. If 2k is your budget then really you will not get much for it not something that will give you any serious performance. With 2k you could how ever buy a decent go kart which will be more rewarding than any. Track saloon for the same amount.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I'm kind of the other way round but only because my r32 is more of a track car... The only place to enjoy your 35 is on track, driving any quick car on the road is desperately frustrating let alone a GTR IMHO....

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
If you drive on the roads at 2am 4am etc then what's the difference between that and a track? There's nothing around, no cars, no plod, no cameras, it's just you and roads that you know like the back of your hand.

I suppose not everyone can go out at silly o'clock if they have a more conventional lifestyle, but personally if I had to drive during the day I would sell the GT-R and buy a lemmingmobile, I feel for people that have to drive during the day, absolute nitemare!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
For 2k, a MR2 Turbo would be a decent shout. They're quick, handle decently and are fun cars to drive :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Yep, I had an MR2 turbo, decatted and rasied boost, fantastic fun machine! But one step better for me is the RX-7 FD3, decat, boost, suspension mods, a proper go cart with amazing handling, had 2 of them :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts