GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A previous owner had the front rod replaced as it was damaged...

however they fitted a rod 5cm longer than standard ??.

My problem is...I can't get the damn thing off to replace it..

???

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Track rod ends are 'friction fit' so are difficult to undo from the steering knuckle once fitted and run in.

What you need to do is use a portable blow torch (£15-£20 from b&q), apply a good 30 seconds of heat on the rod end and the surrounding steering knuckle, and then beat the rod end with a hammer (do not beat the top of the rod end joint if you intend on re-using it)

If that doesnt come off, you just need to keep applying heat to it and it will just pop out.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Scissor type balljoint splitter works. Or a pitman puller. Then just a case of removing from the rack itself. Shouldnt be too tricky. But might be tight

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Scissor type balljoint splitter works. Or a pitman puller. Then just a case of removing from the rack itself. Shouldnt be too tricky. But might be tight
The blow torch method works best, no need to remove the steering rack - that's just rediculous.

Ball joint splitters do a good job in damaging the tie rod end rubber boot, and most pitman pullers do not fit over the steering knuckle corner of the GTR unfortunately.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I didnt say removing the rack. I said removing FROM the rack;)

Also if the tie rod is coming off I was expecting him to want to replace the track rod end too. If its just the rod itself it should be possible without splitting the joint! Just undo the locknut, wind the rod out until the end is no longer in it, then undo from the rack!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers..

it is just the rod itself I need to remove, the 'end' end moves easily it's just where it meets the rack....it doesn't want to give up the fight and let me remove it..

need to change the bloody thing as I have very little lock when turning left and I think the fact they managed to fit and track it was a fluke as both rods are wound all the way in with no thread left.. also the steering is really heavy ( heavy like when you are on the move) so this might have something to do with it?

·
Registered
834 Posts
So its just too tight? My rear ones were a right pain I thought I was gonna pull the car off the axle stands before they started to undo!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
cheers..

it is just the rod itself I need to remove, the 'end' end moves easily it's just where it meets the rack....it doesn't want to give up the fight and let me remove it..

need to change the bloody thing as I have very little lock when turning left and I think the fact they managed to fit and track it was a fluke as both rods are wound all the way in with no thread left.. also the steering is really heavy ( heavy like when you are on the move) so this might have something to do with it?
So I take it you managed to undo the track rod end off the steering knuckle?

So you are now having trouble un-screwing the track rod end off the steering rack? You need 2 spanners, off the top of my head its a 10 or 12 MM that should hold the steering arm, and just use a adjustable spanner for the hex shaped bit on the track rod.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
steering arm is 13mm, lock nut 22mm & 19mm spanner for the 2 flats on the track rod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts