GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After chatting things over with Peter, I've had a word with the Bookatrack team, and they've offered us a day in Jan at their Bentwaters Track. This track is long, fast and really well suited to Skylines. There are no problems with noise either!

Bentwaters is less than 1.5Hrs from London in an Ipswich direction, with good links E-W via Cambridge to the A1 and the North. The track is reasonably clean and very smooth.

If people are interested set up a login for Bookatrack, and book on the track day, as we need a large number of cars to make this a success. I think it'd be fair to open up the invitation to the MkIV Supra Club as they extended a similar invitation to us earlier this year. Any objections?

Book on now and make this event a success..

Cheers,

Dave

p.s. It's on Sunday 27th Jan

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sounds good to me And on a Sunday

Dave just change the post to Track day Sunday 27 Jan 2002

Do they have a web site need some pic's of the track and what it looks like and a ball park figure of cost

So looking at the bookatrack site it's going to be £99 UK pounds
Directions

From the M25, follow the A12 all the way to Woodbridge. Just north of Woodbridge turn right at a roundabout onto the A1152 towards Ekye, Melton & Rendlesham. Stay on the A1152 through the village of Eyke until you get to the roundabout in Rendlesham. The old RAF Bentwaters airfield is off to the right from that roundabout.
Itinerary

All looks good to me

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just soem more infomation

09:00 Driver, passenger, spectator sign-on
09:30 Full safety briefing
09:45 Parade laps
10:00 Driving begins
13:00 Morning driving ends - Lunch
14:00 Afternoon driving begins
16:00 - 17:00 End of day(depending on light and weather conditions)
Facilities

Granny Smith's Cafe and The Rod and Gun Club offer food and toilet facilites on the industrial area of the airfield. There is however, no shelter available by the track.

Nearest petrol station is at Melton on the B1438 (left at traffic light after the level crossing). For Super Unleaded head back onto the A12 towards Ipwich.
Accommodation

Travelodge
A14 / A140
Needham Market
Suffolk
IP6 8NY

Tel: 01449 721640 The Bull Hotel
Market Hill
Woodbridge

Tel: 01394 382089
Fax: 01394 384902

Circuit History

Bentwaters Airfield has a very complex and interesting history, which requires investigation. Early in the war, the British Army purchased the land for a combat training centre and in 1942 the Allies began to build a bomber base there. The base was finished late in the war and named Butley Airfield. When the Americans took over the base in 1951, it was renamed Bentwaters, after a group of farm buildings in the Rendlesham Parish. The 1000 acre site was turned into a spectacular Cold War American Airforce Base, from which stories of nuclear activity and UFO sightings have emerged.

The Americans left suddenly in 1993 and the airbase lay dormant until recently. Now a local farmer has bought the land ending years of controversy and speculation over what to do with the former RAF Base.
Additional Information

Noise Restrictions: 105dB
External link: www.bentwaters.org - informational website about the ex-USAF airbase

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Track Day

Sounds good.

If I haven't sold my car by then,count me in.

Bruce.

Have u still got that camera mount and was it any good??

Cheers

paul..................

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes Paul,

I am sorry that I have not got it back to you

I have not tryed it as I am not in the Practice of using things that are not mine to uses! It is safe in My Camera Bag.

If you are happy with me trying it I will and Let you know

Let me Know were you want it sent I will get it back to you :) :smokin:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BaT

Hi Guys,

Thanks Bruce for sorting out my brain, and including all the accurate/useful information :rolleyes: And Yes, the track day is on SUNDAY

I thought I would post some more information:-

1) You do not have to pay when you book, and to ensure that the event goes ahead could people log into Book-a-Track and register their interest for SUNDAY 27th January, payment can then be completed on-line at a later date (ensuring a place)

2) Book-a-Track don't charge any more than the £99 "car fee" for spectators, passengers (they will need lids) or second drivers (also need lid). Though I can't bring myself to let someone else take mine on the track.....

3) There are some good pix, taken from the pits of a previous day by one of BaT's customers at Jon Honeyball's Site , have a look and see what you think.

4) I've been twice to drive here and am booked for a further two, the surface is clean and very smooth, with plenty of space to get your car sideways safely, very good fun

I hope that helps.... Pleaser log-in and book on as soon as you can as this is the first event BaT have offered to put on for us.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wow that surface looks good to me

Don't tell Phil as he will be out there with his test kit drilling holes to find out just what it's all about :D :D

So this could be the first Skyline outing of the 2002 any one want Xmas present Idears here one £99 and your out there in Jan

Put some more Pic's up dave Shape of the Track would be good as well!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
we have booked bentwaters on 15th june with bookatrack. our recent elvington day with them was superb. the free passenger rides go down a treat with people.
you wont be disappointed, but i would recommend spare /old tyres. the airfield concrete is very hard on tyre shoulders. ie destroyed a set of reasonable tyres in 3 x 20 min sessions( fwd car).
rgds
chris

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Me and Peter now!

The question is who should we open the day up to to make the numbers up to the 30-40 cars for a good, hi-octane day. Anyone got any preferences? Or are there 30-40 Skyline owners in the UK prepared to track their car?

Dave

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joss, good idea.... Perhaps give the Porkers a shout?

We've now got 4; PeterE, Joss, Talat and me....

I've got some more information about the circuit from Jonny at BaT about the circuit (see below) and I've also asked him about re-profiling the corners to tailor it to the Skyline (long, fast sweeping corners).

Jonny's info:

theres a new map here of the circuit, which is now 1.95 miles long. facilities obviously include the cafe & toilets. instruction is available all day and we can set up a separate slalom section with instruction at £20 per 20 mins 1-2-1 handling tuition.
Do we want a seperate slalom setting up, and who's interested in tuition?

The Map:

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Xanthe Is trying to book some Holiday time in the Sun, some time In Jan so if I am in the UK I will be Going should know in the Next few days

mmmmmmmm Two weeks here OR a Track Day:confused:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interest

C'mon guys - is it that:

:( you can't make it?
:eek: aren't up for it?
:confused: can't decide?
:) Haven't got round to it yet?

Whadya reccon?