GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering what mods an R34 needs to do regular track work?

I'd guess decent brakes for starters, but anything cooling wise?

Are there any other things which need replacing due to reliability? (bushes and stuff)

PS I haven't got one yet but i'm being more and more swayed to the 34 than the 35!

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
For certain you'd need an oil cooler, brakes I'd personally probably go for a decent uprated pad with castrol srf fluid and some braided lines and see how you get on with them- you can always upgrade at a later stage.

Remember that the RB26 suffers from oil starvation if used in anger for prolonged periods on track especialy with uprated suspension and track tyres- I'd be looking at overfilling oil slightly before track days to help. Obviously the best solution to this would be something like:

-uprated oil pump
-extended sump with baffle
-head restrictor
-oil drain from head back to sump mod
-drill the oil return galleries in the head a bit larger to help with oil draining back down

However, all of ^^that^^ is really an engine out job.

Oh, and dont rev the nuts off it with a standard oil pump- maybe 7-7.5k limit.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge & experience on here will able to offer more info

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That seems like quite a bit!

Is the sump not already baffled on these cars?

Just to clarify, I do a couple of days at Spa, and about 4 UK tracks per year, plus maybe the Ring. I only do a handful of laps at a time so i'm quite kind to cars, but they get driven hard during the laps :D

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Yeh, all those oil system mods are really only worth doing if you've got the engine out already to do some other work.

As far as I know the standard sump is baffled but the aftermarket stuff is better.

I do still maintain that you sould keep a sensible rev limit and not absoloutely nail the crap out of the engine. I know people who overfill before track days and have had no probs with regard to oil starvation.

I'm not an expert though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
as said above man. use an uprated oil cooler kit, upgraded intercooler kit maybe and in my opinion a nismo buffle pan should be used especially for the cornering g's and the oil starvation.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
So long as you don't get too serious then it's extra oil in the sump to the "H" on the dip stick, ten psi more air in the tyres and off you go! - Come in every few laps to cool brakes / tyres / engine.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Marvellous thanks chaps.

I don't want to start a 34 versus 35 debate, but I really think the R34 is going to be more fun, and less costly to run.

Won't be until March, and depends if a good one comes up!

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,032 Posts
If you do Spa, you will deffo need a sump baffle and extension. Blanchimont is a 130+mph corner on track tyres.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pouhon is the killer as it's long and high g... Blanchimont is a bit more gentle I reckon.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I think a good idea would be to plumb an accusump in for peace of mind if you're not going the extended sump route.

ps. R34's rock!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was going to get one for the Exige - but I sold it before going too far with the mods :D

Agree R34's rock, they seem very thin on the ground atm though!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts