GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spinning wheels

A winter project..........

Anyone know how to turn the traction control off for an R33. I'd like to put a switch in the car so I can have a bit of fun when the roads start to get greasy.:D :D :D

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the kiddy. Anyone know where I can get one (and how to fit it!).

Thanks (embarrased):eek:

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
John, I haven’t ‘played’ in the car much (and would like it damp at Kemble for this reason!), but surely all the car does is move the power between the wheels to give the best traction. If there was ‘normal’ traction control, you would hear the revs die as it cuts the power to limit wheelspin which does not happen. The car will wheelspin if you give it enough grief in the wet.
Funnily enough my car has traction control , a torque split controller (unit on the dash, box in the boot) but I do not use it. No-one has told me how to use it yet. If you want to know more about that check out my thread…..http://212.67.202.137/~joss/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=306
Dave

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. All I wanna do is have a bit of fun in the wet! Guess it seems the answer is far more complex than the (wrong) question. Perhaps I just need a switch to turn off the front wheels (so to speak).

Thanks
John

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I have seen posts that say that removing a fuse does this (for 2 wheel dynos) but doing this can burn out the clutch pack...wait for the replies saying not to do this!

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Not wishing to put up a 'suck eggs' post but traction control is completely different from controlling the four wheel drive split. :)

Dave, I've also heard that messing with the split can **ck up certain parts of the transmission.

John, what you need is a 600 bhp conversion so that you can get all four wheels spinning at the same time. Mind you, given the space (e.g. Kemble), you'll be able to do this with whatever you've got anyway. It won't matter is if it's wet or dry.

Peter.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts
2wd ??????

Fuggles,

Have you never experienced your car in 2wd???

Let just say it is different!!!

Sometimes when starting my car, before the revs rise and settle at tickover,
the low revs fail to allow the alternator to generate enough voltage for the car
electrical system. When this happens on the R32 is knocks out the electric
hydraulic pump that is used to engage the front axle. Its a little fault that
I use to my advantage now and again. :D :D

In 2wd is amazing how hard it is to put down the power. Even at moderate throttle
things feel swirly, then you realise it wheel spinning!!!

It becomes a real handful. Does bloody scare me at time,
especially on the slimey winter roads.

Once experienced, you get a real respect for what the 4wd does for you.

A real un-sung hero.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Peter, point taken, but my 'Blitz Traction Control' unit does split the torque (the torque meter moves when I adjust it). Any comments? I will show you it at Kemble (and the unit ;))

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Dave,

I'll look forward to seeing it, I think....

I know HKS make a controller called ETC, Greddy sell/sold one from 'GRID' but I can't see one listed by Blitz? However, these are torque split controllers. Did it come with the car? If so, perhaps it is a traction control system although you know what some of the Japanese translations are like... ;)

Mind you, if by adjusting it, it moves the split regardless if road/driving conditions, it would point to it being a controller rather than tc. Who knows?

See you on the 2nd (3 weeks today!).

Peter.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
If I side-step the clutch in those drag-type starts, I get quite a considerable amount of wheelspin at the rear. Obviouisly the car shoots off the line but it smokes the back tyres for a second. When I engage second gear I usually hear a cirp from the rear too, but this depends on the type of asphalt.
The GTRs handling is very un-4WD like IMO. Driven in anger the tail can be very easy to loose...so I really see no point for those controllers....which can sometime screw up something else.
My advice is go to a wet wide open space and have fun.
A very good demonstration that the GTR has no traction control was given by Guy at a recent meet you guys had. Just have a look at the pictures!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Driving on some pretty wet roads in Tokyo, it is pretty easy to get some good tailslides withing going completely crazy. Traction control would just spoil the experience anyway wouldn't it ?

I've also heard that a lot of the special 'drag' Skylines out here disconnect the Attesa system to leave it as rear drive only. However, as has been said, these also have completely different transmissions too.

·
Registered
272 Posts
in R32's if you are rolling along in gear then flick the key to accesories for a second then back to on it goes into 2wd mode , not sure if it works in later models but is worth a try . a little slip in the clutch packs wont hurt them but any thing like a 2 minute burnout or mapping an ECU on a rwd dyno tends to destroy the clutchpack.
Brenhan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts