GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This time of year, if you WOT is the car not capable of delivering all the power to the road ? the traction keeps cutting in and cutting off the power a little bit.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Autocorrect is my excuse, it's not applicable here.

Cold weather on summer tyres = poor grip/traction. Try dropping tyre pressures, do t touch r mode and apply lighter throttle inputs.

Consider mpss tyres.

·
Registered
644 Posts
lool sorry dean but what you wrote up there makes no sense.. Using your fone is not an excuse :p

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Cold weather on summer tyres = poor grip/traction. Try dropping tyre pressures, do t touch r mode and apply lighter throttle inputs.

Consider mpss tyres.
I have MPSS tyres, 275/305 Litchfield Setup.

I sometimes put it in R mode on the Transmission and Suspension but still get cuts of power. Its most probably absolutely normal but want to be sure :)

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Cold roads + summer tyres = less traction.

It's to do with your driving style to how you control the car and put the power down, pulling out of a junction I can spin the wheels on my work van if I dump the throttle.

If your going 40mph in 2nd gear and planting the throttle then yes you'll have traction issues, if your going 40mph in 3rd or 4th then it's unlikely to have the same effect.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Yeah it's perfectly normal though mate, I actually find the GT-R very good traction wise, the SL55 I had before used to cut power much more frequently, really annoying, but the GT-R allows more slip even in normal mode especially when you're heading in a straight line, but on a bend or pulling out of a junction it will cut the power more because it knows you're about to fling the back end out, but it will still let you do that in R mode.

Have you always had cars with traction control? I grew up with 300zx's and RX-7's running high boost with no driver aids, they were a handful lol, used to fishtail down the road but good for learning how to handle a car :)

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Can't remember if you have a standard car but if you get yourself to litchfields, Iain can set you up with a nice stage 1 ecutek including the very capable traction control, previously reserved only for peopke prepared to spend on motec a do syvecs ecus.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
This time of year, if you WOT is the car not capable of delivering all the power to the road ? the traction keeps cutting in and cutting off the power a little bit.
Logically that means it's not. :)

You kind of answered your own question.
If traction is cuting in then obviously it can't deliver all that power to the road.
Try R mode or back off a bit.

Grip suffers when temps drop. It's that simple.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Mine was slipping a lot the other day, so I have turned the boost down. Even with in Normal mode, the new traction control method (EcuTek) makes it entertaining

·
Registered
278 Posts
VDC off should help stop the traction kicking in, it could also result in you ending up backwards in a hedge though!

As people have said, just try to be smoother with the throttle and feed the power in more gently and use R mode. That's what I do in my stage 4.25 in the cold weather but it is normal to get traction issues in the cold weather

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Took mine out early this morning planted a bit early leaving a bend that was fun, shortly after I had TMPS low pressure warning on my front right and rear left wheel as they'd dropped to around 23psi.

My OEM wheels with RE070's are my winter wheels :D probably not the most ideal but still suitable to use if your sensible which I wasn't this morning as needed to blow the cobwebs off the car.

Pleased with my Optima Yellow Top battery, not started the car really for 3 weeks and it fired up first time even with the cold weather my OEM battery would struggle after 5-7 days in cold weather.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts

Consider mpss tyres.
Should have told Dean to turn R on, or traction off :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have stage one and do use r mode but I am planting my foot, car before was a 350z it did it less but then it had like half the power lol

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Your first post you mention 'yourself' about planting the go-faster pedal flat down what is OldBob stereotyping?

If you plant your foot to the floor in a car that has over 500bhp and a shed load of torque the mind boggles to why you think in cold conditions its struggles to put the power down.

Just for reference / heads up. Yes when its snows or your on black ice, if your going 30mph and slam your foot flat on the brake is does slid! it's not a problem with your car!

1 - 20 of 312 Posts