GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best (best value) tracking device available?

My insurance is up soon and it seems I can get insured £500 cheaper if I have one of these gizmos. I fugure I should be able to get one for this amount or thereabouts so just wondered what the concensus of opinion is...?

Chris

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Privilege won’t insure me without it. I have ’old’ tracker but I would have thought GPS tracker or RAC trackstar would be a good bet.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Hi Chris
Check out www.tracker-network.co.uk for the info on this particular tracker.
If you decide on this one then my dealer located in west london is an authorised dealer and installer.
Let me know if I can help.
He has installed on 33,s and 34,s so does know the car.
Best regards

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
There are two types of tracking device. A GSM linked device and a satellite linked device. The GSM is seen as the lesser of the two as it uses lower level technology and is very easy to jam. If you want a good solution stick with satellite.

That then leaves a choice of technology providers, the main being Trackstar and Tracker. From my understanding Tracker have about half a dozen set places where they will install a tracking system on a Skyline (which makes it easy for the potential thief). RAC Trackstar, on the other hand, have no set hiding places and so each installation may be different.

As a final point. Last year 8 GTR/Ss were stolen in the South East of England. Some had Tracker, some had no device and one had Trackstar. The only one recovered immediately was the one fitted with the Trackstar. The rest were either discovered later or have been lost completely.

Whatever you do make sure you get pro-active monitoring. The passive system will only be alerted when you call the tracking company - by which time it could be miles away or in bits. The proactive one will generate a signal if the car is moved more than 3' or lifted. Which reminds me - make sure you let them know when it's in for a service!

Hope that helps
John

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
John
Just to clarify one or two things the postion of the Tracker unit is left up to the installer.
There are no set postions for authorised installers.
But saying that Audi who will fit Tracker to a new car state exactly where it is to be fitted.
This is for there service staff etc. but only applies to new cars.
As for the triggering of the proactive system. This depends on how many hits or triggers the unit recieves in a minute.
I could tell you but I would have to kill you afterwards but it is designed like this to eliminate false alarms.
I can not clarify any other systems but this is for Tracker.
Best regards Alan :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RAC Trakstar

I seem to remember reading a comparison of the different systems and this one came out well so I think I will look down this route.

The 'proactive' one is about £700 which includes the first year's monitoring so I wouldn't have to shell out much extra once the (surprisingly large) difference in insurance is taken into consideration.

_Chris_

1 - 8 of 8 Posts