GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiening extremely bad tralinning on my R34.The 'G' force meter nearly goes up to 1/4 G.I am not enjoying driving the car as much as I should for sometimes its feels dangerous!

The car sits on 18" GT3 rims (+14 offset) with Pontenzas RE40 245/40 tyres.

I know on previous threads tyres can make a huge difference.As Guy said AVS Yokis make a big difference.My R33 has them with same size tyres and I hardly get any tramlinning!The tyres on the car are nearly new so I don't want to chage them yet!

Is this normal or is there something wrong?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Paul,

'morning mate!?

I get it quite bad on mine too (standard wheels/tyres) - I think it's an R34 trait. You get used to it. Maybe different tyres will give different levels of tramlining but it's possibly give-and-take, i.e. less precise steering if you want less tramlining.

Best way to put your mind at rest is next time we meet, you drive mine and see if it's the same or not.

Now stop worrying and go to sleep! :rolleyes:

Rich.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Tramlining

Hi Paul
On poor B roads (loads where i live) mine also tramlines very badly. My old 33 had nismo springs and was a lot harder but tramlined far less, which i preferred. I largely overlook the problem because it is so good on good roads but if anyone does have ideas i too would be glad to hear. I do not want to change the wheels because i like the standard ones. I have fairly new bridgestones so i will not be changing them in a while so it is down to springs/shocks i suppose
Sammy

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Tramming

Watcha Paul.

I know I ain't on standard rims but my tramlining has become less apparent since I fitted the 19X10's with 275/30 tyres, Yoko AVS's. I thought having the lower profile would be worse but their you go.

I do get shoved around though on dual carriageways where the inside lane is heavily used by trucks and troughs are apparent but I reckon all cars feel them.

The answer is out their somewhere :D .

glen

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mine tends to tramline too (R34 + Standard wheels / tyres).

I'm told Bridgestone SO2 (ideally, if you can find them) or SO3s are rather good replacements.. even though I'm loathed to spend £££ to replace practically brand new tyres.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tramlining

It seem then to be a larger problem this tramlinning with the R34 rather than the R33.I thought the R34 would have had less 'vices' than the R33.Maybe someone can explain why we have this problem in the first place!

So just to get this right you guys are all saying there is no cure apart from tyres?

Glen
Do you have any clearance problems with your larger wheels?eg.on full lock do they touch the wheel arches?

Do you have any clearance problems with speed bumps,drives,etc?

I really want to lower mine as you suggested but I'm having problems already with inclined driveways,etc.Don't forget ,the Nismo body kit makes the car 'lower' than most.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Name Dropper

Oh didn't realise you had a NISMO BODYKIT :D .

Mine does tend to scrape as it is now but thats not unusual dependant on where you go and how unlucky you are really.

My tyres do rub slightly on full lock but thats because I ain't 'fiddled' with the plastics inside the arch. Not really a problem though.

But like I said the tramlining has improved really well. Perhaps the 34 is slightly skitish due to the fact that it is a more balanced/better handling car than the 33 so reacts differently.

Ooooh I've done it now Paul. Can't wait for the 33 drivers to respond :eek: . Wobble, wobble :D .

glen

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
19 INCHES......WOW

Sorry mate .I didn't mean to be patronizing(?) about the body kit.I just can't help showing off sometimes...You know how it is:D :p .

I must admit however ,those 19"s look the BIZ.I'll asked Father Christmas for a set next Christmas!

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Bridgestone potenza S02 was a better tyre compared to the new S03 when it comes to "tramlining".
The sharper edge of the tyre is the cause of this behavior.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
maybe worth getting your front tracking looked at

my car was all over the road
it has 19" x 10" blitz wheels with 275x30x19 on
set front traking to 1 degree toe in.

my car does not tramline all over the road now

but i have only got a 33

KEITH

·
Banned
349 Posts
THE ANSWER

The 34 was designed with more caster and toe to hold off understeer so as it come in slightly later than the 33. (A 33 will understeer more than a 34) The downside of this design is that the car becomes more dart like in the strait ahead position which is fine on a smooth road but as Paul says "bordering on dangerous on certain types of roads"

The standard RE40's have longditude thread design which "ride up" on the tram lines (definition: A curved undulation in a road caused by HGV's) SO: this together with the toe causes a 34 to jump around alot.

I had it on my car when it was new so I replaced the tyres with SO3's and now it has gone completely. I'm not going to get into a tyre war on this post but will say that the AVS's will cure it and so will F1's. Any other tyre and you'll have to take your chances unless you can find a supplier who will let you try the tyres first:p :p

I would say that unless you can drive to the point where the tyre's "go off", you'll be fine with the cheaper F1's or the AVS's

It's a shame that Middlehurst let the new 34's go out with the RE40's as all the road tests on the 34 in 1999 / 2000 noted the dance like tramlining which I think probably put the average 911 would be, off buying one, which would have made the used market slightly better now, but as it is there are still new 34's in stock unsold at Middlehurst.

good luck Paul.

All the best

Jamie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts