GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently having a new tranny put in and in the process the transfer case is getting a rebuild. New bearings and a clutch pack, now the mechanic who is doing the over haul said he is going to set up my transfer case clutch pack in a drag and circuit sequence. i.e. plate disc plate disc plate disc etc. the factory set up is plate plate disc plate plate disc etc. The factory set up consists of 12 plates and 7 discs, he will install 9 plates and 9 discs, one of the plates will be xtra thick to take up the slack He calls this a transfer case tuning, and says a lot of drag and circuit cars run this set up? I searched the forum and have not found any mention of this at all, unless I am not using the correct key words. Comments and or opinions for this subject.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am currently having a new tranny put in and in the process the transfer case is getting a rebuild. New bearings and a clutch pack, now the mechanic who is doing the over haul said he is going to set up my transfer case clutch pack in a drag and circuit sequence. i.e. plate disc plate disc plate disc etc. the factory set up is plate plate disc plate plate disc etc. The factory set up consists of 12 plates and 7 discs, he will install 9 plates and 9 discs, one of the plates will be xtra thick to take up the slack He calls this a transfer case tuning, and says a lot of drag and circuit cars run this set up? I searched the forum and have not found any mention of this at all, unless I am not using the correct key words. Comments and or opinions for this subject.
A small correction, afer watching him do the rebuild it turns out he used 10 discs and 9 plates.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Transfer case clutch pack tuning

Over 50 looks and not one comment on this topic. I would figure all you track and drag junkies out there would be interested in this mod. As it is a game changer.

Well I got the car back last night and of course not being used to the clutch and not knowing what to expect, I stalled it three times. Now when I gave it a little gas and semi popped the clutch I felt the front end hook up, now I have never felt my car pull like that up front, and I was amazed to say the least.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Transfer Case Rebuild = 1000HP!!!"

Thomas, that's because you should have titled the thread - "Transfer Case Rebuild = 1000HP!!!"

Maybe I should start a new thread and use your title LOL, apparently tis not important enough as super sizing the turbo's or cam's, or no one on this forum has any knowledge on this topic and therefore are afraid to bite.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well at the moment I am not able to really test this mod fully as I am also breaking in a Carbonetics Carbon Type R Twin plate, Rated at 1350Kgs of clamping pressure, and it also has the carbon coated flywheel and pressure plate to boot. The clutch is a bit grabby, but pedal effort is like a stock clutch, and the bite is hard, still driving civil so the clutch can get a proper bed, and the Tranny is also new, so have to rack some breakin mileage for it also, I will keep you all that are interested informed.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
How did this turn out? As I plan on doing this myself too as I'm going to put a new gearbox in soon but I'd love to know some more info on the subject before opening the transfercase ;)
Oh and does the clutchpack require a custom shim to be made at the end to take up the slack?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There was no custom shim required, one of the factory plates is a little thicker than the rest use that, and stack it plate, disc, plate, disc... You will feel the difference, that front end will come in stronger, and pull harder, changes the car completely, makes it more fun to rip around in the rain letting it break loose, and learning how it reacts. The car launches strong and hard, the Type R Carbonetic twin plate has a neck snapping bite, making for very smooth crispy shifts with the new series III tranny. I recently shimmed up the diff also, so now its putting down more torque, combined with the transfer case tune, the car responds quick. I also recently added poly bushings everywhere a bushing is needed on the suspension, the ride is very tight and precise like it's on rails.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.