GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I'm a 350z owner in the US. As we all know The Skyline GTR is very uncommon in the US since there was none made for the US. I have some connection in Japan that I can get some stock R34 parts. I love the look of the performance computer on the R34 and I'm wondering what it actually does besides displaying the digital clock. Also, is it possible to hook it up in my 350Z? I'm trying to see what harness it has behind the scene. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
People normally use the R34 sensors as well, then it works fine.

it shows:

Boost
Throttle
Injector
Oil temp
Water temp
Exhaust temp
intake temp
& G forces

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
People normally use the R34 sensors as well, then it works fine.

it shows:

Boost
Throttle
Injector
Oil temp
Water temp
Exhaust temp
intake temp
& G forces
Thank you for the info. So sounds like as long as I have the sensors to connect to the harass, I should be able to hook all the features up to my 350z (minus the boost since I don't have turbo!).

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
You can forget the inlet and exhaust temps if you plan on using a Non V-spec item.

And G-force is only for Nismo upgrade AFAIK.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
You can forget the inlet and exhaust temps if you plan on using a Non V-spec item.

And G-force is only for Nismo upgrade AFAIK.
R33 V-Spec you have a pm

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
PM replied

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thank you for the info. So sounds like as long as I have the sensors to connect to the harass, I should be able to hook all the features up to my 350z (minus the boost since I don't have turbo!).
not quite that easy i'm afraid as 350Z is quite a lot newer it uses a CAN BUS network where as the GTR's don't. Anything's possible but you'll need someone with a good knowledge of electronics and a CAN gateway to find all the signals you need

·
Registered
811 Posts
not quite that easy i'm afraid as 350Z is quite a lot newer it uses a CAN BUS network where as the GTR's don't. Anything's possible but you'll need someone with a good knowledge of electronics and a CAN gateway to find all the signals you need
Surely if he's going to use the original sensors (on the GT-R they where all replicated for the MFD, the ECU used its own set) then why does he need to mess around with the CAN? You can get the MFD to work off a bench with a 12v battery power supply, appropriate loom and all the necessary sensors. Biggest problem will be finding all the places to fit the appropriate sensors I guess.

Certainly NOT a job for the non technically and electrically minded but definately possible. HOWEVER if it where me I'd just hook up a MiniATX PC card with a PC Home automation LAN card and a 8" touch screen tv off ebay 30 GBP (it has 8 sensor inputs and 8 outputs) then I'd put my own software on it and volia, a better MFD. This could then double up as a DVD player, sat nav, mp3 player and so on... probably easier this route than messing around with the MFD and infinitely more configurable..

Trev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts