GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Am new to this site and want your thoughts on this problom , i picked up my brand GTR 5 weeks ago from st helans.

Two weeks after this a light popped up saying transmisson failure and all power was reduced to the car , once re-started computer said enigine malfuction contact dealer , that point i phone them .

I was told not to drive car , and to call the GTR aftercare . 1 hour later the car was collected and taken to the garage . After a few hour of inspection no actual fault was found and the car brain was all reset and off i went .

Saturday just gone the fault has returned , car lost all power and would not go past 30 mph and was missing gears out , so it was going from 1 to 3 to 5

Car was taken in on saturday , i got a phone calll yesturday telling me there looks like there is a fault with gear 2 and looks like the transmission has to be replaced ? bear in mind this car only has 1300miles on the clock .

I thought that another gear box has to be specaily made to go with my engine ? is this correct ?

Has anyone else had this fault with there car

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that!

First failure of this sort I've heard of about a Euro car.
There have been a very few transmission failures but they were usually related to hard use.

I think Mr Clarkson misled us when he said that transmissions and engines were life partners! Nobody would design a car that way, and loads of US GT-Rs have had their gearboxes changed with no further ill effects.

Keep us informed as to how things proceed.

The good thing is Middlehurst absolutely know what they're doing, so you're in good hands.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the main guy at middlehurst seems to know what he is talking about ,

the thing that worrys me is , the car has not even been driven hard ?? even he said that ?? Once they found the problem nissan ask for all the data recording from the car , and as he said it shows the car has not even been driven hard ??

So why the fault ??

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Hopefully you`ll be back on the road soon. Ask for another GTR while yours is being repaired and go out and have some fun.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. Hope you get it sorted quickly. And it's better than new when you get it. Although i'm guessing you'll have to do the running in again? ???

Either way i hope it doesn't sour your relationship with your car.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Why does anything break?

Philip
+1. Things brreak. This is the 1st one in Europe I heard of too. Really sometimes things break, there is waranty for that. Worrying neverheless for idiots like me who cant just not tune the car!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nissan rang me earlier , and they are going to replace the ECU first , and then do some road test , once they reset the computer the car runs fine and transmission sounds normal , so the thinking is that it is not a transmisson problem , so there trying this and if this dont cure the problem its a new gear box , :mad:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi Mark,

sorry to hear about your problem after only 5 weeks.

We've come across a good number of faults with the GTR Transmission, there are a few small parts of the transmission that can fail (seals, clips, solenoids etc), that can result in similar problems as you have mentioned, and obviously replacing complete boxes is something we've worked a way round by replacing/upgrading the failed parts.

Just to answer you question, the Gearbox + Transmission ECU + Main ECU will all need to be matched together if you change any of the items.

I hope you get the car back soon! Don't lose heart in the car!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The trans etc can be replaced but require to be backed up the data and reinstalled on the new part or something along those lines.

This looks like a seal or silonoid issue maybe even a clip issue. This trans is complex.

The fluid is junk and the trans creates too much heat and the gears metal is too weak. The seals are junk and the cir clip is dumb.

Heat makes the fluid turn to water. The fluid can't protect the weak metal of the gears (using launch control or not) causing metal shards to mess up the silonoids. The cir clip is also a weak design and will cause issues. I dunno how the seals break but probably a combo of this stuff.

Being low miles and not driving hard is weird thing to happen. But it would be good to get a report of the temps. On the first r35's there were loads of failures where it wasn't pumping oil but not reporting the failure. So a lot has improved.

There are lots of fixes and preventive maintance that can be done for those not in warranty anymore. Talk to dodson motorsports, south side performance and willall racing for more info. They have clips, seals, gearsets and all the knowledge to fix them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well nissan have replaced and ECU and matched everythink up , they have done around 35 miles + road testing and can not get the fault to happen.

Nissan customer service have been very good over this matter and have phoned nearly everyday to keep me updated

Nissan now only have two ways to sort this problem now

1 . repalce gear box (10k plus)

2. replace the ECU

the ECU has been replaced and seems to have fixed the problem.

I am picking the car up on monday and have told nissan customer services " if the problem comes back , i dont want the car back "

I was thinking of buying the V-spec if it come to this country but am a little bit put off with my standard GTR ,with the problem i have had .

am hopingfrom monday when i get the car back i dont get any more problems and this will regain my trust in the car

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
markrxp, sorry to hear about your problem. I know if it had been me, i would be climbing the walls. Hopefully its just a software problem, these thing happen from time to time its just unfortunate that you got the one with fault.

Dont let this put you of if its been solved, its an incredible piece of kit albeit very complex. I'm sure miggies will sort it out for you.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
well, as long as Nissan stands 100% behind it and you don't pay a dime, I can put up with some mechanical failures. But if they would leave me out to dry, I would raise a shitstorm, no question about it!

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
markrxp

try pm'ing forum user; Alloy, who I think had a low mileage critical tranny issue, on a UK car

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I had a gearbox failure after 2000 miles, turned out to be a solenoid problem but as opposed to repairing it Nissan wanted the gearbox for R&D.

MH arranged for a whole new gearbox under warranty shipped from Japan, they dont hold them in Holland depot and they do have to be made to order so to speak, the car was back with me 3 weeks later. Best of luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts