GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had my 27000 mile 'free' service at Nissan and it concerned me that the £500 3 year service plan does not include the transmission & diff fluid change. It seems that the Nissan transmission and diff fluid change interval for 2008-2010 cars is 18 months / 18,000 miles, but on 2011 onwards cars it is 4 years or 36,000 miles. So I decided to get the transmission and diff oils changed at Litchfields yesterday and the transmission oil was rather black (although no metal bits thankfully) which proved to me that the 18 months / 18000 miles was about right. I know the 2011 transmission has some improvements over the earlier cars but even so its a very expensive box and with the fluids being changed at 36,000 miles it is out of warranty and Nissan would not be liable - it seems this expensive bit of servicing has been moved back to enable them to offer the £500 x 3 year service plan which is little more than 3 oil changes and optimisations. So I would recommend that all 2011 onwards owners change these oils at 18,000 or latest 27,000 miles rather than waiting till 36000 miles and hoping there is no damage done.
I also had the larger Dodson magnets fitted and while there new motul dot 5.1 brake fluid and braided brake hoses done plus new Pagid RS29 rear pads. Ian also updated my gearbox software to the 2013 spec and the latest ecutek v4 map - (but no pops and bangs for me):rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I asked a similar question when I took our family car in for an oil change. The techs at the service center told me they recommend every 18 months, no matter what the OEM guidelines say.

One of them grinned and asked me that age old question, "Would you rather pay me now, or pay me later?"

It is cheap enough to get it changed every 18 months and avoid problems that it seems foolish to wait longer.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Under normal driving conditions, trans and diff oil changes are mileage related only. So we all got stiffed at 18 months. Mine is at 24k miles even now.

:runaway:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't understand why the transmission fluid should be black the oil only get darkened with carbon deposits from combustion!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts