GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some easy reading with a sting in the drift tail!

TRAX 2006

The usual start to the day then, up at 04-30 !

Guys I was taking with me arrived on time (for once Chris!) at 05-30

As most of you who were around the South East of the UK on the 3rd of September it was warm, humid and somewhat wet with a fine misty sort of rain stuff that made for a very interesting driving experience!

Unfortunately because my “proper” track tyres (Toyo R888) were down to almost illegal limit to use on the road and they had forecast rain anyway I used my nice shiny Image 19” X 10” wheels with NEW Toyo Proxes (275 x 35 x 10) tyres on em. When we left it was wet and slippery and that was just on the road!!! Got to Silverstone at
7-00 to avoid all the Muppets queuing to get in and got to the Club 200 + stand reasonably OK.

Took a bucket and sponge with me and gave the now ever beautiful BEUT a quick “water” clean (there were other Muppets there with a full Halford valeting kit)
Had the obligatory pee and coffee (not sure which would have tasted better, BUT I don’t drink pee!!)

Did all the usual chit chat with the other member “what have you done to yours this year, been on many track events, nice t*ts on that, they never made em like that when I went skool” etc etc

Got the car ready, harness, helmet (YES, its purple) checked vital fluids (had I had enough Beer the night before etc). Went the briefing session, handed over my life to Silverstone’s “carers” and got a very snazzy PINK wrist band!

First session at 09-40 (briefing at 08-30) All done and ready for the off.

Went out in the first session at 9-40 and it was as slippery as hell. I and most of the guys as it was mainly the 200 + Club were a little extra cautious. There can be up to 60 cars on track at any one time and some of the other attendee’s have just come out of nappies!! (Strange how they all seem to have a sideways baseball cap fitted to their heads though!) We all did the bizz, but mainly, kept it safe as we wanted to go out again and binning the car on the 1st out just aint good for business, friendship, or your looks after the other 59 people have met you in the pit lane!

2nd time out was and most of the Skyline Owners Club were out in this session and nice to meet up with some old friends again (chit chat in the Pit lane) the track was dry (err) but again quite a few knob heads especially in Corvettes!! They seemed to do exactly what American cars do best, OK in a straight line (if they knew anything about racing lines at all) but shite around corners!! BEUT’s tyres Toyo Proxes, harder compound, went off extremely quickly compared to the Toyo R888 I usually use and so after going literally “straight” round the corner. I again decided that discretion was the better part of valour, and reduced boost and in fact terminated the session early.
I was just using fuel which I could not afford to waste as there was NO fuel on site at Silverstone!! (Great eh, a racing circuit without fuel, a bit like a Pub with no beer!!)

When I returned to the club stand, I reduced the tyre pressure as they were at 38 hot and hence the straight line ability!! I reduced them to 23 cold, so when up to temp they would be a satisfactory 30 all round, and also played with the Tein Flex dampers to give less stiffness at the front end.

Ok now for session number 3 at 12-30 this was my best session, starting from near back of the 60 or so cars, I “made my way” through the pack! Good, clean (well err !) fun. The tyre pressure/damping force set up was just about correct, oh, and fuel, yes, fuel I had already used the ¾ of a tank in the first session, added my 25ltr Jerry can with octane boost to for the second session and was now down to the last drop and hence put the remaining 25ltr jerry can with the rest of the octane boost in for what would be my last session at 12-20pm. (If it lasted)

Oh yeah, and as I have indicated here, Tax did their usual thing when I request 4 track sessions, 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon of giving me 9-40, 11-20, 12-20 & 1-20. (Yes, I know it is literally am & pm, but) So, by the time you have finished the 11-20 session , get off the circuit, drive slowly past all the star gazing Muppets, get back to the club stand, let the car idle, re fuel, guess what, its time to make your way back through the maddening crowd and queue in the Pit lane for the next session !
Anyway, all ready for last session, queue up in Pit lane final check, seat harness tight, helmet on and we are off!!

Well for 2 laps!!

Someone had binned a small Pug, which had dumped it’s sump load of oil on the circuit which caught out the Honda Civic Type R in front of me, which did a very nice pirouette and the Scooby just saw it in time and avoided it but as I so far up his exhaust pipe, I put a rear wheel though it and felt a tinsey winsey uneasy slide as I went thought the next corner! RED LIGHTS. OK back to the pits, track fun over.

Time to enjoy myself and go and watch some 0-60 prints, take a walk around the trade stands which were not half as good as the previous years. Also, had to (as Chris and his new bird wanted to) go see now ASBO of motor sport “drifting” ??

I have stated my discontent with this taking over an event for the public who have paid good money for THEIR TRACK DAY OUT in previous threads on other Forums, BUT…………………………..

What’s the point?? Does anybody know how they score points??

Can’t see it myself, if you want to burn tyres I have a very good bonfire once a year on November the 5th !! Oh, hang on a mo, now I see there is a market to fleece the general pubic and make them think that a car going sideways is a new sport ??
WELL WATCH (take part in) RALLYING !!!!

All I knew was a Skyline won, so I was happy at that. Much happier with that then when I retuned to BEUT at 6-00pm to find a FLAT near side Rear tyre!! BOLLOX !!

3 people in the car with a shed (Chris and his girlfriend) load of stuff, a space saver tyre and no where to put the thumping great 275 X 19” X 10” !! Luckily, being a bit of a track day veteran I had bought a tyre pump, one of those you plug into the cigarette lighter (saves on the leg muscles) adjusted all the tyres & added “extra” air to the near side rear. Being sensible and not wishing to shred my new 275 x 10 x 10 tyre, I stopped several time on the 60 mile journey home to add air.

Got home just before 9-00pm knackered, tired and need of a shower. A long day, but I wouldn’t miss it for the world ! Bring on Donny in Oct and Goodwood in Nov.

See you all again soon & don’t forget the JAP Car show at Wellington Country Park on the 24th Sept. Dave & I will be there.

PS cheers for whoever put the note on the windscreen about the Flat, but I did see it as I approached BEUT

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Steve said:
I have stated my discontent with this taking over an event for the public who have paid good money for THEIR TRACK DAY OUT in previous threads on other Forums, BUT…………………………..

What’s the point?? Does anybody know how they score points??

Can’t see it myself, if you want to burn tyres I have a very good bonfire once a year on November the 5th !! Oh, hang on a mo, now I see there is a market to fleece the general pubic and make them think that a car going sideways is a new sport ??
WELL WATCH (take part in) RALLYING !!!!
couldn't agree more, a track is for fast laps not ballet in pink with judging like ice dancing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Steve said:
I'll enlighten you here Steve.

1. The 2.00-2.30pm Open Practice was already deemed to be TRAX Demos in there timetable so we took no free/track time here. Oh and we actually finished approx 10mins early to enable the next track session to get rolling on time as they had some delays. Our start was delayed but all the same we felt a reponsibility to help out where we could and keep the timetable on schedule for all and sundry.

2. The time we used from 4.30-5.30pm we actually paid for with no discounts. So infact as a 'Club D1GB' you could say we chose to purchase 1 hours tracktime in total all in one go :D .

3. TRAX on-track sessions finish at 5.30pm (see above) but we negotiated a seprate deal with Silverstone to run till 6.00pm. This 30mins was outside of any TRAX involvement.

So we paid for everything we had as any other Club would have :) .

Yeah Drifting is a bit extreme for some people, and learning/understanding something new can be daunting, but you may eventually come to enjoy it :)

Glen

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Andy W said:
couldn't agree more, a track is for fast laps not ballet in pink with judging like ice dancing :rolleyes:
The Drift guys were going around Brooklands and Luffield faster than the Track guys whilst the majority of them were flashing there headlights at me :thumbsup: :bawling:

Glen

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Nice write up - enjoyed reading that:)

Steve - why did you run such low tyre pressures? On my skyline the factory pressures are 2.3bar (about 36psi ish) all round. I'd actually increase my tyre pressures for the track - am i doing something wrong?? Did you get extreme outer wear on your passenger front tyre?

I thought the day was great but typically badly organised. None of the guys in yellow jackets had a clue where to sign on for driving, there was no schedule of events given when purchasing tickets and the judging of the drift competition i thought was laughable:rolleyes:
Would loved to hae seen the skyline session go out but eneded up seeing lots of saxos:mad:

Sam

·
Registered
65 Posts
why people pay all that money for 15 mins on track at trax I have no idea anymore? I used to do it as well only for some numpty to stick his corsa in the kitty litter and it is all over!

I got an eve at bedford for 79 pounds steve and it was open pit lane for 2.5 hours. The ring offers much better value too!

I only came off cos I fried the 911 pads, discs and wear sensors! needed to get home of course.

drifting is great to watch and bloody hard to do! respect to all those that an do it and do it well!!

sounds like you had a blast steve and you were bound to lunch most things int hat car of yours!!

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
TRAX isnt a trackday, pmsl. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Personally I enjoyed the D1 bits at Trax, made a good day as there was something else to watch. Judging by the way the main seating areas was full with people and the positive reaction the competitors received I'd say it was a good crossover. Bit of a negative thought from Steve if he thinks that it is only the people who paid money to go on the track who are affected. For the cost of the two tickets I purchased watching the D1 for me & my missus (who is now hooked) was well worth the entrance fee alone

Mike

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
SteveN said:
Why the HELL has this guy posted this exact same thread on every bloody forum he's on?

Seen it on at least 2 others.

Bit sad isnt it?
Ever since I've heard Steve calling his mode of transport a name I've been trying to think of one for mine. I came up with one and have now decided on a name.................................................................

CAR

I'd like to tell you a bit about me and CAR. I first saw CAR on a website on the other side of the world and immediatley knew CAR was the one for me. We exchanged emails and after what seemed like ages CAR arrived after a long journey from Japan (CAR doesn't like boats) and when the doors open in Southampton CAR was everything I dreamed of. But my joy at spending time with CAR was to be short lived. CAR and me parted company after only a couple of months together and CAR moved to Manchester. As CAR left I hoped one day to be reunited. Well one day I got the call that CAR wanted to come home. I went to Manchester to collect CAR and we had a lot of time to spend together on the journey home which was nice. To get CAR back was great and once again I felt complete.

I think our relationship is going well now and I think the key to our success is that I am happy to let other guys abuse CAR to the point of almost exhaustion. CAR seems to love the abusement with a passion and if CAR is happy to be shared around then I am happy to watch.

Here's a pic of CAR enjoying what CAR enjoys best:

Update: Me and CAR are off to Barcelona this weekend for a bit more quality time together :D

Glen

·
Registered
28 Posts
Crapped myself mate!!!

Nice GTR, Glad you missed me!!!! I should have give a wave while going backwards!!

I was trying to catch up Ollie in the Black CTR and was pushing a bit hard!!

Don't be to upset by the civic's, Both are well sorted, Trackwise, and Ollie is a pukka race driver, I to have raced in the past.

Out of interest, whats your car putting down?????

And I want a ride at the next event:)

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Was ollies car turbocharged? The black car looked one of the fastest and well driven cars on the track all day. The speed through the complex was very impressive:bowdown1:

·
Registered
28 Posts
davewilkins said:
Was ollies car turbocharged? The black car looked one of the fastest and well driven cars on the track all day. The speed through the complex was very impressive:bowdown1:

JRSC Supercharged, same as mine. only mine was not as well driven.:chairshot

1 - 19 of 19 Posts