GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit worried that I fell for the sales guy "you should buy this as well" trick. He recommended having the car treated with Tribos before I pick it up. I was very excited about having decided to buy the car and was thinking "I'm buying an expensive car and want it to look great". I will have it parked on the street since I don't have a garage so maybe it makes sense to add some protection.

The car is a MY2012 ex demonstrator with 3k miles, and I'm picking it up in a week. The Tribos is £600 so I am now having second thoughts, is it worth it? Think I could still change my mind if I want to. The marketing claims that it lasts for three years, I would be very surprised if it does...

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I'm a bit worried that I fell for the sales guy "you should buy this as well" trick. He recommended having the car treated with Tribos before I pick it up. I was very excited about having decided to buy the car and was thinking "I'm buying an expensive car and want it to look great". I will have it parked on the street since I don't have a garage so maybe it makes sense to add some protection.

The car is a MY2012 ex demonstrator with 3k miles, and I'm picking it up in a week. The Tribos is £600 so I am now having second thoughts, is it worth it? Think I could still change my mind if I want to. The marketing claims that it lasts for three years, I would be very surprised if it does...

Personally I would put the £600 towards wrapping the front end and then just put a decent sealer/wax polish on the rest of the car at home.

Tribos wont stop stone chips which is the scourge of the front end of the car and rear quarters.

To be honest I feel these sealers are a con @ £600.................... The dealer and the company that does it will be making a decent profit. I imagine the product is a fraction of this cost!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Having a full detail done, 360quid all in! As above tell them you don't want it and get the front wrapped with venture shield? Took a bird on the hood at 90mph even though it was a glancing blow no damage to the paint.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There was an argument on here once between Tribos and Valet Magic, after Valet Magic told them what's what they never got many more takers as it's just a dealer money spinner with no real backing.
Dealers push as hard as they can as their profit margin is massive.
I got told that they buy the kit for £30

Danny

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I got it on mine just to try it out... Do not get it lol... Got it removed and protected properly after 2 months

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Lmfao, sounds intriguing .. :D
pmsl :clap:

to the op go for a protection package with a good detailer the two cannot be compared :squintdan

·
Registered
644 Posts
lol yea, definitely do not go for the Tribos..

Best advice is, enjoy the car for a couple weeks, get used to it.. Then take it to Litchfield for stage 1 or 2.. Then take it to PwPro for a full detail or wrap + tinits and you will be 100% satisfied :)

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Note the advice to use a GOOD detailer as opposed to one that people simply say is good.
Exactly.

Hoping to get mine Friday and that evening I'll be dropping it off to a good detailer who I've used for several years and did a cracking job on my R32.

I have asked them not to clean the car and I'll get my guy to do it instead.
Did this with my LEAF and it has a way better finish on it than all the others I've seen.

The sponge monkeys in dealerships scratch the paint before they even hand the cars over! :(
Check out the cars in showrooms for light scratching in the paint... :runaway:

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I did that when I picked up my current car.

The dealer had a shock when I said no way to the pre-handover wash.
I think they are getting more familiar with it now. Slowly.
Have done this with Skoda, Ford and Nissan and all didn't even question it.

Shame they just don't pay someone that knows how to clean a car properly instead.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to everyone for the input. I've cancelled the Tribos, should have gone with my gut feeling from the start...

Anyway, much more importantly I'm really excited about picking up the car!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the input. I've cancelled the Tribos, should have gone with my gut feeling from the start...

Anyway, much more importantly I'm really excited about picking up the car!
Nice

Yea you should be !! :thumbsup:

Im also pretty excited as i just got back from the Nissan dealership in Dubai.. Had a look at the 2014 models, got the brochure and then went over to the AMS Alpha logic performance center down the road to discuss my next build :) Some serious 1000+ bhp cars there..

Planning to order my 2014 GTR here and get the Alpha 9 package once i have sold my UK GTR :smokin:

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
I think they are getting more familiar with it now. Slowly.
Have done this with Skoda, Ford and Nissan and all didn't even question it.

Shame they just don't pay someone that knows how to clean a car properly instead.
picture from last friday ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You made the right choice:mad: I bought a Nissan used GT-R with a similar treatment, did a great job of sealing the swirl marks:chairshot

Take it to a reputable detailed, saving some money & get a better finish.

Dave.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts