GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a ctek and its great. There is one drawback... if you find yourself with a totally dead battery, zero volts, the ctek wont charge it. It needs to detect a small voltage from the battery before it activates the charging current.
I'd suggest also obtaining a jump starter pack to start the car, run it round the block and then connect the ctek...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep, another plus for the CTek.
I also bought the adaptor, ran under the headlight to the battery so I just have the connector by the side of the grill. Very neat, and just plug n play without opening the bonnet (plug socket is right next to the car in the garage) - simples.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Excuse me guys, do you keep it connected all the time when the car is not in use or only when it’s needed? Also does it matter winter or summer?

·
Registered
56 Posts
It has voltage cut off so, plug it in and leave it. I only use it if I know the car either hasn't or going to move for a while just to keep it 'topped up'.
Seasons do not matter

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have had the Ctek since I got the car nearly 8 years ago, never had a problem with it and use it regularly. As someone else mentioned above, I ran the adapter cable to a more accessible position.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
I used an old one a friend gave me. No idea what it was called. Now it's on my AMG. Methinks the words "too precious" apply here.

·
Administrator
31,751 Posts
Yep, another plus for the CTek.
I also bought the adaptor, ran under the headlight to the battery so I just have the connector by the side of the grill. Very neat, and just plug n play without opening the bonnet (plug socket is right next to the car in the garage) - simples.
Did something similar on my 33. Had the plug coming out of the Grommet in the boot, so it could be plugged in without opening the car.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,199 Posts
Stuck mine on this week as it happens. Started it up and it was slow to turn (but fired quick enough). So I took it for a few miles and treated it to a nice tank full of Shell V-Power, the first fill up it's needed in God knows how long !

·
Administrator
31,751 Posts
It did a Jesus. Had no lights on. no obvious loose connections or anything. When I'd unplug from the mains it would light up then die. So I plugged it in and left it plugged in and somehow it came back to life. Perhaps a dry joint internally. Still, got me sorted for today. Even this it's 10 years old lol

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Christ, I can't believe how precious some people are about their GTRs. I replaced the battery in mine years ago with a Yuasa. During the winters, | banged on a rusty old charger that a friend gave me. When the wiper blades went, I got replacements from the local car spares joint. Get a life. It's only a car after all.😎

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I don't think its solely about GTRs my Mclaren is on one as well. Its about the ease of putting a battery maintainer on and just leave it alone. With older style chargers, which I use on plant, You always have to monitor them to see when the battery is fully charged

21 - 40 of 40 Posts