GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys after looking into this problem it would appear that when running about 500 Bhp there is a problem with oil and the lack of in the sump especially when going around a track and hard acceleration.
I want to cure this problem and i am not sure what to go for there are a few options out there.
The trust Sump extension kit.
The nismo Baffle plate that fits in the sump.
And a Few Other Baffle plates.
My Question is which is better a sump extension or baffle plate insert into the Sump ?

Please help i need to know which is better .

Thanks guys cheers

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
In my opinion I think a good baffle would negate the benefits of a sump extension. I mean, the whole reason you extend the sump is to get more oil covering the pickup. With a well designed baffle, the pickup will be assured of an oil supply using std capacity. You could do both but I reckon it'd be overkill.
Saying that though your always going to get folks who do both for that well used skyline phrase "Peace Of Mind" :chuckle: :chuckle: which costs us so dearly.
I personally would just get a damn good baffle and be done with it...

TT

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I ordered a Tomei baffle - a couple hundred less than the Nismo unit, and I figure Tomei knows what they're doing. But I honestly have no idea of the differences, if any, between the various oil baffles with their trap doors, etc, designed to go into a stock oil pan.

I've heard of this mythical part Nismo once made, a "swinging oil pickup", that would swing with the lateral forces, basically following the oil around the oilpan.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Would it make much difference which you chose? I take it you need to drop the engine for both?
Got a couple of track days coming up so im going to be looking into this as well.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should i just get the nismo Baffle ?

Get this i had a response from nito and he reckons that his N1 car gave him hassles until he changed the sump and added the trust extension so this is why i ask my questions the launching and driving into corners hard is something im going to be doing hence the VspecIINur car i got but now which would better suit my application i know one or the other but in your opinion guys should i get the
A) Nismo Baffle Plate
B) Tomei Baffle plate
C) Trust sump extension kit with the oil extender suck up gismo ?

Please let me know as i am going to be getting something soon .
Ps what clutch should i get ?
Exedy Fast Road .
Nismo.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Kenny

Ive got the gift voucher things mate, and i need to use them soon (before march i think). so im going to need to get something done soon, dont want anything going bang!

Will hopefully be doing some full trackdays in the summer though.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That Looks like a tomei sump

ive just been looking at that seems to be the one advertised on the internet thats a tomei sump with baffle built in im pretty certain of it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
you need to remove the oil pan which would be a pita with the engine in the car.

once the oil pan is off the baffles usually bolt right in

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My engine has a knock

The engine has to come out any hows so which do i fit guys still no real suggestions ?
Nismo Baffle
Trust Extension ?

Which one please tell me what have most of you got out there i would rather appreciate getting something i know works then spending money on a baffle when i know a sump extension would do the same with added benifits ?
Poll your answers lets see which is better?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Personally i think im going to got for the baffle as the sump extension will mean less clearence for road debris etc.

·
Banned
146 Posts
I would just go for the Tomei Baffle setup using a std sump, im sure thats what mines are using as well along with a tomei oil pump. Just make sure you fill the oil just over the high mark and try not to drop from 3rd to 2nd with out sufficient braking ... try and relax when doing track days so you dont panic and miss gears etc.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I've had the Tomei oil baffle kit installed as part of the recent rebuild.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I would just go for the Tomei Baffle setup using a std sump, im sure thats what mines are using as well along with a tomei oil pump. Just make sure you fill the oil just over the high mark and try not to drop from 3rd to 2nd with out sufficient braking ... try and relax when doing track days so you dont panic and miss gears etc.
Have you actually tried any of these solutions you hand out to people or are you just making it up as you go along ?
I don't understand how you can recommend this stuff to someone if you don't have the experience yourself....especially someone who is looking at an engine out job.
Incidentally, Mines do not use a Tomei oil pump on their stage 2 engines.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Sump extension every day of the week. The Trust sump comes with a circular baffle too so you get the best of both worlds, no competition imo...

...try not to drop from 3rd to 2nd with out sufficient braking....
What's that about?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Trust sump extension is about £500 welded.

A new engine is £3,000 +

No contest in my opinion.

In addition, not only do you have better oil supply, you also have more oil, therefore the oil does not have to work so hard.

I have a Trust ready to go on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts