GTR Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Its fine - just the handbrake has one of those drift buttons and no spring, so you can pull it up and let go and it drops down again, or you can push the button out and lock it on the ratchet. As far as me and my bro understand the MoT rules it's NOT a fail, but the guy doing the test is being a **** about it :mad:

Got two cars and not living with my parents any more - cant afford to faff about any more with an already silly-fast car :D Although I'll maybe take it to G-Force for a power run, just so I can say its got +500bhp :D lol

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
After talking with my brother about this, we think it's pushing it to do it in 1.5 hours, so apologies to Abbey for only allowing them 3 hours labour :eek:

2 hours IS the time it took us to do it last time, we werent going super-speedy-fast - and we had problems with the starter motor too - so we know it's possible to do it quicker. But half an hour quicker...?

I'll write the procedure out in a new thread, just cos Im thinking about it now, but it's really really not that complicated to remove an engine.

Oh and we both agreed it's not even necessary to take the engine out ;)

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Cos Im not taking it out again :D lol

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Geoff,

When you took your engine out, did you have the car on axle stands or did you undo all the bits and then drop it on the deck? I might do what I have to do on the large stands and then put it on the small ones for hoisting out the engine.

Also did you pop the o/s driveshaft out of the diff housing or seperate the shaft?

When I took the engine out of the 34 we had access to a ramp so it came out with the subframe from below. On the 32 we'll be doing it with the engine crane from above so it'll be interesting to see the differences.

I remember when seperating the engine from the subframe that it would be a pig to get to some of the bits, especially popping the o/s shaft out of the diff on the 34.

Rgds
Nito

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
We had it on a ramp, used an engine crane to hoist it out the top.

Cant remember about the driveshaft, will ask my brother.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just done mine. Driveshaft came out no problem. Remove diff cover and gently tap a wedge between the end of the driveshaft and the pinion gear pivot........

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Nice one James,

We used a lever bar on the 34 and popped it out from the outside of the diff casing, but you woudn't have the space to do this with the engine in situ.

Cheers

Nito

·
Registered
291 Posts
Can I ask for those that can remove the sump without removing the engine, I have a queation.

I have the RB26 on an engine stand, but the FW is still bolted on. - I have tried to remove the 4 bolts at the FW end, and can only get to one :(

I have a Tomei Baffle to put in, and need some work done to the sump, but don't want to have to get hold of a crane in order to take the FW off :(

Can anyone help?

Jay

101 - 110 of 110 Posts