GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you have cams, injectors and its all mapped... does the gtr sound funny when its idling...?

Not "funny car" lumpy... like with big cams but my car does make some strange noises on tickover. Is it normal?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
what size injectors?

sometimes they can be noisy so you hear the tick of the injectors opening etc.

if the cams are big and std buckets etc sometimes they can make a nice tapping noise as well. what do you classify as strange?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
650s but its not a mechanical tapping sound or ticking of injectors... its in the exhaust noise.... theres the standard hummm of the car, then a kind of "braaa braaa braaa braaa braa.. hummmmmmmm braaa braaa braaa braaaaa hummmmmmm"....

is the best way to describe it.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
does the car idle properly or do you see the revs hunting a little bit?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
idle is totally stable, its not lumpy in any way and revs cleanly always.

bloody hard to explain what I mean.

·
Registered
302 Posts
u can perhaps make a small video it would help.

do u also have a lighter flywheel??

my idel did change with a loghter flywheel and cams....

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can you imagine sound gaps in the exhaust flow???????

My o2 sensors are completely none responsive and will be replaced next week when nissan deliver. So I know its off the scale rich on idle and cruising. Could this be it?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, OS Giken lightened flywheel but its not that sound. I know the one you mean...

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it sounds daft but say the following out loud or even in your head and this is how it sounds LOL

"bbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbbbbrrrr

The RRRRRRs are normal exhaust tickover

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
yeah a video or sound clip would help.

no exhaust blows etc im assuming (stupid question i think but cant hurt to ask)

what cams have you got in there?

does it do it all the time? or just when cold/hot?

I think (if i can remember!) haha that mine has a similar sound on idle, can sometimes be really cammy on idle or sometimes hunt for about 20 secs then settle out to a nice beat :)

is just the way mine is setup back from tweenie and i love it.haha

what ecu do you have?

it is annoying me but i think i know what you mean, cant describe it though other than how you have! haha

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nistune and it does it more than the VX ROM I had before.... The cams are 254 9.2 lift... so very mild stage 1 mines.

It does it all the time.

I dont actually mind it to be honest as it makes people look but would love to know if it a fault or a feature.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
i severely doubt it is a fault mate, mine came back from our mapping session like that and i love it, just seems to be a small feature of the cams i reckon.

im sure someone could happily take a look at it but i cant see it being a problem, imagine it is just the setup you have. every idle is different in tuned cars what i have seen. just a profile of your car! :)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I know it sounds daft but say the following out loud or even in your head and this is how it sounds LOL

"bbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbbbbrrrr

The RRRRRRs are normal exhaust tickover
This should be the post of the year lol!:D

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Perhaps you are right, she was only mapped a month ago and the thing is a rocket ship.

You post did make me sad though, when I told Rob the M3 was off and I was going back to an R32 he was well chuffed. He never got to see my new car and I was only on tribute pics did I see we had the same front spoiler. He would have loved my motor. It was booked in 2 weeks after.

thanks for the help mate.

i severely doubt it is a fault mate, mine came back from our mapping session like that and i love it, just seems to be a small feature of the cams i reckon.

im sure someone could happily take a look at it but i cant see it being a problem, imagine it is just the setup you have. every idle is different in tuned cars what i have seen. just a profile of your car! :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My AFMs are Mine's and when she was Mapped they were returning good signals....

I will clean them again and lets see what happens!

Cheers dude

hummm

the cams are "sharp" to make a big difference in idle...

it is a metal sound??

edit:

are the "b"s not noise??

if so, my car does the same.and it is a AFM

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
The man was a legend mate. Am glad i gave the car to him to build me an engine for :)

Im sure he would have loved your car dude and i imagine he smiled when he looked down and saw it! Justin is making him proud and if i was keeping the car would definately be going back there for a wad of cash for a Rb30! haha :s

As others have suggested, check afms, ecu readings, idle etc but from what it sounds just sounds like the way the mods on your car are setup and sounds alot like my idle but a bit less cammy

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's bec. of the new profile lift of the cams IMO. Same thing w/ a friend's "Ess Arr 20" before. Nothing to worry about... I think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts