GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the short version had a TO4Z 650+ R34 GTR then sold up and got a R35 GTR Stage 4 for about 2 1/2 years which I sold last month. The main reason for selling the R35 was I'm having to do way more miles and wanted something better on long trips and more practical with the family. So got an 2010 RS6 V10 which is brutal but still miss after all these years the howl of the R34.

Now my question is I have a budget of about 20-25k (less would obviously be better) for a 'fun' car so really its going to have to be a stockish R34 GTR or a tuned R32. I've always liked the look of a R32 and only every been in a 400hp one for a ride or two.

But not sure what to do buy something like this:-

Option 1
Used 1994 Nissan Skyline R32 for sale in Hampshire | Pistonheads

Or may be this at a push:-

Used 2001 Nissan Skyline R34 for sale in Bucks | Pistonheads

or option three would be a R32 project car i.e. look for one with a blown engine cheap and get RB Motorsport to build me a full 600-700 setup. I would also like to do the odd track day.

I do like the idea of option three :D

What would you do guys? So I suppose it would be a trade off performance vs resale vs reliability?

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
What do you mean by a "fun" car?

If you mean Sunday afternoon drives I'd get the R34.
Very rare and sought after.

If it's for some proper hooning and track work I'd go for the R32 and fettle it, or buy a modded one and improve it.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What do you mean by a "fun" car?

If you mean Sunday afternoon drives I'd get the R34.
Very rare and sought after.

If it's for some proper hooning and track work I'd go for the R32 and fettle it, or buy a modded one and improve it.
Good point matey Fun (for me)= Hooning to work once a week (in the summer), going on run's (evo triangle in Wales etc) out with a few mates and doing perhaps a few (3-4) of my favorite tracks i.e. Cadwell etc

I suppose Richard that's what I'm stuck on the bit I loved about the R34 was that T04Z with an open screamer at 7000+ rpm banging flames out between the gears! but that was in a R34 package and having never driven a R32 wondered if the same can be done in a R32? Plus really liked the look of the R34 but don't want to get a stockish one and then be kicking myself that I didn't save 10k get a tuned R32 and have the engine I want!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
- a standard 34 will not give you what you're missing;)

-with your budget you could get a gem of a 32, the one you're looking at looks very nice, might be tricky and expensive to find replacement brakes. I've used that susp before and there is much better stuff out there. Otherwise fantastic spec:bowdown1:

Rust is key on both...

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
That's a very difficult call.
I think you need to have a look at some decent R32s before making a decision as you already know the R34.

I had the budget to look at similar cars, but it was easier for me because I knew it had to be an R32 because I just love the look of them.

I've now spend more than an R34 would cost and I couldn't care less because I've got it right how I want it.

Personally I think any relatively standard RB26 car is going to be a bit tame after you've done the whole modding thing. Which you have.
As much as an R34 would be a good buy, it's not going to give you the buzz you need due to your car history and your current (faster?) family car.
Unless you want kerbside appeal which the R34 is always going to do better for the general car nut.

When I got my R32 it was making arund stock power and while the handling was entertaining I did wonder what the fuss was about (having a 600bhp R35 at the time) but now I just love it.
They are just so adjustable to your preferences I think it's rude not too. The performance to keep up with today's decent cars and the classic appeal of the shape and handling.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
You will get very bored of a stock skyline so aim to end up with something tuned and ideally to around 500hp as this is the point theyreally come alive. That said, I had a 32 GT-R on stock turbos running around 400hp and that was ace.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
You have got a stock, sporty Audi......why would you buy another stock sporty car??

......Has to be the beasty R32!

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
As nice as the R34 in post 1 is, the R32 also in the same post is going to be way more "fun".
And you aren't going to be worried about screwing up it's residual value so can actually use it properly too.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Any members nearby who can take you out in either model?

I'd take to out on my 500bhp 32, but I'm in Surrey, so don't know how close that is to you?

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Assuming a £25K budget and that you have said you want decent power (500+) it is a no contest because if you want reliablity as well the engine is better forged and I dont see many 34s like that under £25k

Remember power is addictive and after a while 500 is boring etc etc.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the advice guys its very useful! :) Rod @ RB made a really good point if I was using the car for 'fun' and get a 10k car I can only do 10k or less worth of damage and where as with a R34 I'm not sure if I would push it as hard with it being more standard and worth more.

How strong is a standard RB26 could a stockish one handle 500+ reliability? I've had a good search and there seems to be people running this power with stockish power?

How strong are R32 gearbox's and diff's do you think this one would be ok running 600+ hp? Or are there other options for stronger gearbox's? I know from having the R34 and Supra that the Getrags 6 speed box's are very strong!

Think I'm going to have to get a ride in a 500-600hp R32 :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts